Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which 4x4 @£5/6k?
tul214

posted on 29/3/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Which 4x4 @£5/6k?

All,

The wife has bought a horse and needs something farmyard!
We only want to spend £5/6k but it needs to be able to pull 2 horses.
I have looked at discos but I don't like the look of them.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Defender 90

Then you can nick it for off road fun days

rayward

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee

should get a nice one for that money

Ray

coozer

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan Patrol, true off roader, luxuriuos inside.

Rings the bells in both camps..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tomprescott

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could try:
http://homeappliances.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/barbecue-grill-galore.jpg

A bird in the hand....

boggle

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
range rover or defender 90...

or discovery 2

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
one other thing on the defender 90 is that is just like a kit car, parts are cheap and EVERYTHING just unbolts and is easy to fix
tul214

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
We drove a £6k defender and I can't see the attraction.

Disco 2....look old fashion?

Cherokee...might have potential. What is the 2.8CRD like?

Nissan Patrol...tooooo big.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

deanwelch

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for defender not pretty or flash but easy and cheep to fix and it does what it says on the tin..............
hicost blade

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
L200 all the way, chuck hey in the back too
mookaloid

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Isuzu trooper

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan Patrol...tooooo big.

Have you towed a pair of large horses with horse box..... No such thing as too big.......

They knock the one ton pickup about.

nick205

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I read that as what 4x4 for £56k

In which case it would have to be a RR Sport in black wid da bling wheels

@ £5-6k then I'd be hankering for a Defender 90 (with sensible wheels). Especialy if you're towing muddy horses and associated stuff.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree that the defender is best suited for towing, and the chassis and engines are like adult meccano and easily changed. I've even been helping a mate of mine change the chassis for a galvanised one weekend just gone.

However, I find them to be very much an agricultural vehicle. There's not a great deal of room inside, especially for the drivers right arm! If you want to take more than one person (in addition to driver) and gear in the car then you;ll need a 110.

I recently purchased a P38 Range Rover diesel and thoroughly enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's as good as the Defender for towing, but it's much more comfortable and more of a road-goer. However, I spent 3 months looking for the right one, and then you've got issues to consider such as the air suspension and other common faults that wouldn't occur in a more basic vehicle.

I considered a Discovery and also looked at Isuzu Troopers when I was in my "unsure stage", but decided that the RR was definately the best all round for what I wanted in terms of towing and daily use.

My 2p's worth over....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

bj928

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
my choice would be a merc ml430, lpg, don't know what the towing ability it but it will have the power with the 4.3 v8, i had the e430 and that pulled like a train, nice and comfy as well, and its a merc, for the money your looking at it should have all the toys on it as well, discos and defenders are to agricultural for me, yse they will pull, but i like a bit of comfort, so ML430 or range rover v8 4.6, or v6 3.5 24v shogun, if you want an odd ball, i had a delica 2.8 td for a while, basicly a shogun but a full 7 seat people carrier body, take the seats out and it was like a transit!!!!
bj928

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
and the big chyslers have normally got mercedes running gear, i know the 300 is an E class merc underneath
franky

posted on 29/3/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Simple Nissan patrol or Toyota landcruiser. Make landrovers look like ladas.
phelpsa

posted on 29/3/10 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Disco 2 TD5, we paid £5k for our 35k mile 2002 model last January. Feels a bit like a tractor and tows as well as one. Will drag 1600kgs of car trailer without feeling it, even off muddy fields regularly encountered at hillclimbs. I would imagine most of the agricultural seperate chassis 4x4s would be pretty similar though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know about over there, I have a 4.0 litre Cherokee with 235,000 kms, doesn't burn oil, tows 3000lb boat and trailer without difficulty.
My son has a Grand Cherokee with 245,000kms, runs well, no major problems, also has a 4.0 litre six petrol.

eddie99

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a Defender 90. When i need one, i'll get one! Yes bit impractical and horrible to drive but for some reason, i think they look cool and have always wanted one!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
morcus

posted on 30/3/10 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't reckomend a Merc ML, a few of my mates had them (well their folks, who for some reason let their kids drive them) and they all (3 different cars) fell to peices and were constantly being put back together.

If you don't want a Land Rover, your best bet has to be some thing big and Japanese.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

tul214

posted on 30/3/10 at 04:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys.

I drove a Defender because of all of the reasons above but this has to be the wifes everyday car and the 90's at that price are just too old and agricultural. I dare say that if I bought a £15k Td5 version it might look a bit different.
My dad has a ML, the 350 petrol and loves it but the build quality is nowhere near my E-class and they all seem to have been to the moon and back.
I will keep looking

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

mad4x4

posted on 30/3/10 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn;t touch a Disco With a Crappy stick.

Bought a disco II about 18 months ago. Biggest piece of crap ever. Would not pull it's self at 60 let alone a trailer.

Was a 52 Plate 2.5 TD AUTO ES fully loaded.... Lights running boards etc.

Had sold a perfectly good P38 Range Rover for it and haded the disco so much sold it 6 moths later (for great loss) and bought a Ford Ranger Pick up - FAR BETTER

So P38 Range Rover or Defender (avoid TD5 engine) or L200 or Ford Ranger etc.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MK9R

posted on 30/3/10 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Wouldn;t touch a Disco With a Crappy stick.

Bought a disco II about 18 months ago. Biggest piece of crap ever. Would not pull it's self at 60 let alone a trailer.

Was a 52 Plate 2.5 TD AUTO ES fully loaded.... Lights running boards etc.

Had sold a perfectly good P38 Range Rover for it and haded the disco so much sold it 6 moths later (for great loss) and bought a Ford Ranger Pick up - FAR BETTER

So P38 Range Rover or Defender (avoid TD5 engine) or L200 or Ford Ranger etc.

Sounds like you had injector loom, EGR or breathing problems if it wouldn't do 60mph.

We have a disco 2 TD5 ES premium and we love it!! The wife was a bit dubious to star with as she thought it would be too big (she uses it every day), but finds it far easier to drive than the mondeo estate. Granted i woulddn't want to do my 100 mile a day commute in it, and if we lived in a city we wouldn't like (or even have) it, but as a family lugging machine, massive towing capability and every day car it bloody great. Yes there are niggles with them, and yes there are better built machines out there, but you live with it as its a LR, don't ask me why but you just do . The LR do seem to have some character unlike most of the Jap ones.

Just do consider the towing weight, if you are towing 2 horses and a trailer, you'll need something rated up to 3 tonnes towing weight, and if you actually look into it there aren't many 4x4's out there that can do that, LR are the heaviest rated ones on the road (there maybe a couple more just can't think of them to hand). I looked into this when i was considering buying and american toy hauler

[Edited on 30/3/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 30/3/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Do consider the towing weight, if you are towing 2 horses and a trailer, you'll need something rated up to 3 tonnes towing weight, and if you actually look into it there aren't many 4x4's out there that can do that, LR are the heaviest rated ones on the road (there maybe a couple more just can't think of them to hand). I looked into this when i was considering buying and american toy hauler

What I was about to add! A lot of folk forget about the legalities surrounding towing weights and tow more than they should. Boring, Boring, Boring... I know, but get yourself involved in a serious accident (I sincerely hope you don't) and the sh*t WILL hit the fan if you're overweight!

You'll be surprised at the differences in towing capacities amongst the usual suspects. LR's are pretty much King in this area!

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.