Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which 4x4 @£5/6k?
britishtrident

posted on 30/3/10 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just to point Ford Ranger has a reputation as a serious money pit. --- just do a quick Google.

Likewise with the Nissa Navarra Google for real horror stories.

Jeep Cherokke models I encountered have had somewhat fragile rear axles and use the the VM diesel with its expensive habit of cracking cylinder heads

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

TimC

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
What about a Shogun? A couple of chaps that I know have/had them and love them to bits. One of them also does a sheet-load of towing.

phelpsa

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Wouldn;t touch a Disco With a Crappy stick.

Bought a disco II about 18 months ago. Biggest piece of crap ever. Would not pull it's self at 60 let alone a trailer.

Was a 52 Plate 2.5 TD AUTO ES fully loaded.... Lights running boards etc.

Had sold a perfectly good P38 Range Rover for it and haded the disco so much sold it 6 moths later (for great loss) and bought a Ford Ranger Pick up - FAR BETTER

So P38 Range Rover or Defender (avoid TD5 engine) or L200 or Ford Ranger etc.

Definitely something wrong there! Ours is a TD5 Auto and although its pretty sluggish it will sit at speeds it shouldnt do, even when fully loaded with tools and kit for the weekend and towing another tonne and a half behind it. It does have to change down to 2nd for some hills on the motorway though when that loaded up (verging on 4 tonnes!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 30/3/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost blade
L200 all the way, chuck hey in the back too

you won't have any money left for hay if you buy an L200, with towing mpg down to around 18 mpg and the number of spare parts they gobble up!

Defender will do the job but basic is paying it a glowing complent, aside to that the insurance costs are quite high because they get nicked so often,

I can't comment on the patrol or the jeep,

if it were my money I would look for a Nissan terrano, you will get a nice one for your money and they are not problematic.

Colin (4x4 breaker!)

ATB
Locoboy

shaun megablade

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
i have had most four wheel drives in my time,and used them for towing heavy trailers.

shogun 3.2 did easily get for £5-6k tows very well.

landrover disco 300 tdi crap,no power atall

landrover disco td5 crap,no power low down and slow on hills,rear suspension no good.

landcruiser various best 4x4 on the road,had loads,never had a problem,will pull a house down,but heavy on fuel.

cherokee jeeps,waist of time,they are american based,too soft,expensive to run.

shogun pajero,very good for towing,but bit underpowered.

isuzy trooper,best thing you can spend your money on.

either get a 3.0 turbo diesel lwb trooper 99 onwards,or a bighorn late 95 onwards with the electronic 3.1 and you will be very pleased.
never had a problem with any of our troopers.tow very well,good offroad,good and comfortable on road.

hope this helps

Irony

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would look into what sort of weight you are going to be pulling and what weight you license can tow. Assuming to past your test before '97' you should be able to tow a 3.5 tonne rated trailer.

Are they big horses? Two horses, all the associated gear and the weight of the trailer I reckon you'll be hitting 2 1/2 tonne perhaps more. Some of the suggested trucks above are rated 2.2, 2.5, 2.8 etc. Just be careful.

Disco's and Landys both are great towing trucks and can tow 3.5 tonne. Thats why my business uses them and has used them for 10 years. Also they are cheap cheap compared to Troopers, Shoguns and all of the 'big boys' really.

owelly

posted on 30/3/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ask 20 folks for an opinion and you'll get 40 answers!
I wouldn't recommend a Cherokee for towing heavy stuff. I had one and for everyday use it was OK. It was a 2.8CRD and it managed an accurate 36mp(UK)g everyday and almost 40mpg on a run. The problem I found with heavy trailers was the lack of weight over the rear axle. It was easy to get out of shape!.
A LR90 is good if you want a tractor with a radio. I've had several and I love them but as an everyday car? Nah.
Anything modern and Japanese will cost you in parts. See how much an exhaust is for an L200 or a starter motor.
I had a 200tdi and a 300tdi Disco and they were ace!
I currently run a 2002 Rangey and it's brill.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 30/3/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well, it seems I have a few to go at

I was aware of the towing weight thing and that is my concern with the smaller models. I quite like the look of the short wheelbase shoguns or troopers.
Does the wheelbase matter?
Oh and the nags are both 15-3 so not massive but certainly not ponies.

Thanks for your comments...

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.