Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have we forgotten?????
marcjagman

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have we forgotten?????

Some people seem to have forgotten the true meaning of locost spending thousands on just an engine and then have a go at others for spending, well, not a lot really. Unfortunately some of us are not able to spend as much as we would like so make the best of what we have. C'mon chaps, don't be mean, try and support those that for whatever reason aren't as financially secure as others, things could be so much nicer if some people on here weren't as arrogant as they are. It's locost after all, if you want to brag about how much you have spent then maybe there is a better place for you to be?
Irony

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have never noted anything but respect for true locost machines on here.

v8kid

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Engineering ingenuity is what counts! True that cash helps but it's not a substitute!.

Have to say though I have not been aware of any elitism of the threads I follow but I suppose we all follow our own pet subjects and I must have missed it.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Its all relative realy. Those who cant fabricate but buy and assemble parts see their vehicle as Locost. My 1300 x flow engine was rebuilt from ebay parts bought over a few years. Some will just buy a standard engine or a modified one. I take the point about the original idea of Locost but things have progressed. I KNOW mine is Locost in the strict sense cuz thats all I could afford and I enjoyed the Locost aspect (mine is pure book and all made by me). All things to all people and if a good percentage on here left because of imposed limits this forum wouldnt survive and some of my questions would remain unanswered. Nuf said???!!!
Liam

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for 'no idea what you're talking about'. Never really seen any cheque book snobs on here at all. Some healthy cheque books, for sure, but never with any elitism or condescension towards those staying true to the original locost ethos.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
mine is not locost in any sence(sp) as i spent a good 3k+ changing the engine but i have full respect for anybody who had built their own car, and any car built on the same ethos(sp) less is more and more hp and less weight is best

but the main thing is that everybody is building for fun and enjoy what they are doing

eddie99

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Second the no idea what you are talking about. I think its part of differnt peoples opinouns, some say its best to spend the more money on bits like brakes because its talking about safety etc.. Others dont have the skill like some so are forced to buy bits and spend more and vice versa. Its a forum with lots of differnt types of people and thats what is great about it.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
andrew

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
everybody to their own , either a pile of metal ,pile of donor bits , set too and make a car , or buy a shiny new kit from a supplier and put it together following the instuctions (mecano) ,you either made the car or assembled it
nick205

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
In my 8 yrs on here I don't recall anything like you seem to describe...quite the opposite! 99.9% on here are here for the shared interest of car building on whatever budget they're working to, some big, some small, most in the middle.

Now if you want to see some real snobbery/stupidity then spend a little time on Blatchat and Piston Heads. But even there the vast majority are there to share an interest.

cd.thomson

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
im not building a locost, but parts suppliers have had to pry every single penny I've spent out of my cold hard grip

Craig

StevieB

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Now if you want to see some real snobbery/stupidity then spend a little time on Blatchat and Piston Heads. But even there the vast majority are there to share an interest.

Indeed, register on Blatchat (for which you have to pay anyway) and then let it be known that you have a locost, then refer to it as a se7en and class youself as a se7en owner. Sit back and watch it all unfold

perksy

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not really sure what you mean to be honest ?

Can't say i've seen a thread where anybody has boasted about how much they've spent etc

Everybody's creation has its own merits and it Doesn't really matter what its cost, aslong as they are happy and enjoy driving it

Is this is a wind up ?

dilley

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
We live in modern times......
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/8/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
You have to bare in mind that the original claim of a locost for £250 was at least missing a zero even to get the most basic of basic cars on the road.

I've never seen any criticism for budget cars on this forum. One of the nice things on this site compared to many other car sites is that there is acceptance that people want different things and it’s not just all about showing off.

Anyone who has the skills or willingness to learn to make things by themselves are always encouraged to do so, usually with heaps of advice.

I can think of several garbage car forums that their sole purpose is to mock and put down anyone who works on a tight budget or has a go themselves, usually from talentless idiots who think it’s all about throwing cash at their cars to impress. Personally I have nil respect or time for such wasters.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Canada EH!

posted on 21/8/10 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just to stick my two cents in, would this be about the mini powered tandem seat vehicle that appeared on here earlier today?
I thought it was a good effort, and built from the remains of something headed for the scrap heap.

morcus

posted on 21/8/10 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
As someone who is currently broke (And without a place to build) I've yet to get started on my dream of building a car, but I've seen very few incidents of snobbery during my time here. If anything, the truest locosters (The do everything themselves guys) seem to be held in the highest esteem and it seems are looked upto by the guys that can't do everything. If there is Elitism here its not financial or class based, but skill based.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Bluemoon

posted on 21/8/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think you do have a point as a lot less (including me!) are building a chassis from scratch, and not that many are using a single donner, re-furbishing the parts them self's ect, but I don't think there is a stigma attached to spending or not..

Having said this it may just appear this way as most are on the road now! The site has got to the point where it's also a lot more about driving, club events etc

Dan

pdm

posted on 21/8/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Speaking for myself - I'm going the kit route as I can't weld and if I learnt I'd still consider myself to noob to dare try welding a chassis.

But as a few others have said, that apart I'm trying to stick to the locost ethos - single donor, refurb my own parts, selll on everything I don't need etc etc - the ultimate in recycling which is one of the things that drew me to this forum in the first place.

I also agree with a few others - it's the scratch built people on here that are your "go to" people. They've been there, done that with a whole load more skills than I've got. But best of all from my experience these people don't mind sharing their knowledge and are really helpful no matter how numpty the question - an even bigger draw to this forum.

I've a lot of respect for anyone who's built their own car. I also have a lot of respect for people who don't necessarily know that much about cars but still have a go with a kit for the learning experience. I dont' think any kit - even a Cateringvan is necessarily meccano although I suppose it depends on where your starting from skills wise.

A case of time, money, skill - choose any two for a good car ? Hmmm - time I have...

gottabedone

posted on 21/8/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
i agree with the "not sure what you're on about" theme as if you want to see snobbery then find a Cateringvan driver and tell him you own a seven. Look how many sighted postings there on here. Som weeks it sounds like a lonely hearts site (cue music and lights dimming)

This is a site where money or skill really doesn't matter as we're all building different machines with different skills and diferent budgets. There are lots of 'no budget' and 'huge budget' builders and neither should hang their heads in shame.

my penny's worth

Steve

scootz

posted on 21/8/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Nah... can't agree with you there! Don't think I've ever seen an 'arrogant' post on here along the lines you mention.

As for the 'locost' philosophy... it's all relative! I would consider that 'bang for buck' some of the more expensive motors on here can still definitely be classed as 'locost'!

It's Evolution Baby!

Steve Hignett

posted on 21/8/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen examples (even as recent as yesterday) when people are asking genuine questions about cars as toys that can cost over 10k, over 20k and even for £30k. Now that seems to me that these people probably worked hard to get where they've got or are very lucky and have well paid partners.

Either way, the point of them asking here rather than on blatchat/PH etc is that they value people's (well most judging for the OP) opinions about what we would do. That says a lot more to me about the knowledge and nature of this forum than this thread.................

Of course if there has been examples of true bitchery and myself and all above have missed it, then I take it back!

02GF74

posted on 21/8/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
It makes me sick too - how dare anyone spend more than £ 250.

Spending thousands on fancy cams or alloy uprights is not in the true spirit, these people should be taken to Doncaster, stripped, have blue silicone hoses shoved up their rear and slapped across the face with Rons book.

Cheque book locosters GO HOME!

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/8/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago we discussed the 'Locost Unit'. It takes a minumim uf 5000 LU's to finish a basic car.

A LU is either a pound or an hours labour. If you finish the car for £1000, then you would have to spend 4000 hours to do that!Or spend £4000 and take 1000 hours.

Personally, I spent 1500 hours and £2250, but that was 5 years ago.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/8/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Still does not account for making stuff ugly....

http://youtu.be/n3qqjYWc9IE

[Edited on 21-8-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

sorens2

posted on 21/8/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well....I bought mine brand new from MNR.
Cost me a bit, that´s right.
And to me it´s only a toy. Trackdaytoy. Have only driven 10 miles on the road.
But I still make the car better every day.
Such as better cooling, intake, mirrors, tyres, setup (!), seats, etc.
Mine is NOT a locost. It´s over 20000 £ plus trailer and a VW T4 to tow it with.
And nobody but me comes even near the car.

And now I can´t participate on here anymore ?

Soren S2

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.