Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tools on a plane
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/3/23 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
How things have changed. I took a BMW exhaust nut spanner (a big alloy toothed thing), a clutch pack and a pair of ignition coils as hand luggage, Heathrow to Sydney back in the early 90's. The aircrew were also quite happy to give me a full size bottle of red, which made the trip bearable on most occasions.
BenB

posted on 27/3/23 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Last time we flew I forgot I had a bike multi-tool in my coat pocket. They weren't worried about the Allen keys but wouldn't allow the philips bit. Annoyingly when I got the replacement I realised it was possible to remove the individual bits so could have just sacrificed the philips which I don't tend to use!!!

[Edited on 27/3/23 by BenB]

BenB

posted on 27/3/23 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
The weird thing is the 3 long metal screws holding my hip together don't set off the metal detectors and they're definitely sharp pointy metal things!!
loggyboy

posted on 27/3/23 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Thought this was a title of a new movie.

As long as the pilot is not the tool

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 27/3/23 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
How things have changed. I took a BMW exhaust nut spanner (a big alloy toothed thing), a clutch pack and a pair of ignition coils as hand luggage, Heathrow to Sydney back in the early 90's. The aircrew were also quite happy to give me a full size bottle of red, which made the trip bearable on most occasions.

You could still take all but the spanner!

gingerprince

posted on 27/3/23 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
About 30 years ago I was flying from Leeds to Gatwick as part of a "raid" - I was the IT guy going to secure some data, which at the time meant plugging in a portable hard drive. I had a briefcase full of tools - screwdrivers, pliers, wire strippers, and the data equipment. I'd never flown before so had no idea I wasn't allowed to take them on! In the end I managed to get the case checked in the hold, but it was a bit of a red-face moment

I have successfully got back to the UK with a bottle of Stroh 80 however! Really brought the kitchen sink up a shine

gremlin1234

posted on 27/3/23 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
The weird thing is the 3 long metal screws holding my hip together don't set off the metal detectors and they're definitely sharp pointy metal things!!

that's likely because they are titanium

BenB

posted on 29/3/23 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Like like I'm going to have to get a titanium bike repair tool then!!
coyoteboy

posted on 29/3/23 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Being Ti won't help you with anything, they can still see them on the baggage scanner and human scanners, they can see light plastic The only reason they ignore those is because they're stuck in your body and they assume you're not going to remove them. They can even tell the difference between different materials...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Travel/2017/a irport-liquids-scanner.jpg?imwidth=480

[Edited on 29/3/23 by coyoteboy]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/3/23 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've taken micrometers through to the states in hand luggage at least twice with no issues.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.