New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petition against the banning of petrol and diesel
Simon

posted on 2/4/23 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Petition against the banning of petrol and diesel

vehicles

https://chng.it/cG5gchWt

Even Lord Bamford agrees!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/jcb-chief-demands-rethink-of-net-zero-ban-on-cars/ar-AA19nsGm?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f6575dd868d74ea8b9af0f702488d 26e&ei=11

be grateful for some sigs

Cheers

Benzine

posted on 2/4/23 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bamford, a massive supporter of Brexshit because JCB kept getting fined by the EU because of dodgy practices (price fixing iirc). Tim Martin with a digger.

That petition is advocating using hydrogen as a fuel to be burnt in an IC engine? Literally the worst solution possible. Terribly, terribly inefficient.

Yours,
Grumpy of Gitshire

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 2/4/23 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
This is very interesting (imagine if this was done on a large scale!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytg23mDd1a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Q7nAYjAJY&t

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-highlights-its-multi-technology-approach-to-zero-carbon-with-hydrogen-combustion-prototype-car/

But if you don't want the government to at least consider alternatives to (horrendously expensive) ev's.....

[Edited on 2/4/23 by Simon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Can't say I'd ever sign it tbh.

I really can't wait to see the back of diesels, just so sick of their smoke, having to change lanes or overtake to avoid me or the kids breathing their filth. Don't care about where the fuel comes from, it's the pollution that matters to me.

Petrol's, fine but costs heaps and isn't very clean.

Hydrogen, got nothing at all against it, looks really great but I can't mind the last time I saw anything other than a few busses using it.

EV's are great, sorry they just are. Still a bit limited in their range but day to day stuff just perfect. Too expensive? not really I didn't spend much as far as cars go and a large part of that cost is offset by the cheaper fuel, almost all of the cost in fact.

Their only banning new combustion cars, I've never owned a new car in my life. Most cars will last at least 20 years with decent maintenance so that's 20 years to get use to EV's. Too much nonsense about dwindling lithium or other misinformation pedaled by oil companies (same situation as tobacco) etc., already they are manufacturing alternatives and some of the new batteries coming don't even use any rare minerals.

I recently tool out the pollen filter out the Fiesta, and OMG it was just black with soot, who really want's to breath that crap in? (unless your a smoker then you might not care...)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I really can't wait to see the back of diesels, just so sick of their smoke, having to change lanes or overtake to avoid me or the kids breathing their filth. Don't care about where the fuel comes from, it's the pollution that matters to me.

In the 80s and 90s yes there was smoke about. Big n/a IDI mechanical buses belching out clouds of grey. Where do you live? Seeing a smokey derv is so rare for me now.

When I went to South Africa and joined the 1st motorway I couldn't believe the amount of trucks pumping out insane amounts of diesel smoke, it was like they were all on their last legs. But here in the UK? Rare as hen's teeth round here.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/23 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I used to think hydrogen might be the answer, but various sources have shown me that (A) it's not really practical, as it has to be kept at very high pressure, (B) it leaks through everything eventually, (C) still has to be transported around the country and (D) the oil industry loves it, as they see it as a way to make more money from their oil once petrol and diesel sales drop off.

Here's one source (but I have read quite a few that say similar things):

[Edited on 3/4/23 by David Jenkins]

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I almost never see smokey diesels anymore, only kids that have bought an old 306 and cranked up the fuel pressure. Modern ones are almost incredibly clean. Even my old 1KZ powered hilux rarely spits smoke unless I'm full throttling it up a hill.

roadrunner

posted on 3/4/23 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
https://youtu.be/3sUug1kfNps
JoelP

posted on 3/4/23 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty certain that the harmful pollution from diesels can't been seen. It's definitely there.

I personally look forward to the day they're gone.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Pretty certain that the harmful pollution from diesels can't been seen. It's definitely there.

I personally look forward to the day they're gone.

It's the PM2.5s and NOx emissions that they worry about (Soot from running too cold/rich, NOx from running too hot/lean). Most modern Ds operate lean and cool most of the time, only lean and hot when under load. Most of the current literature on 2015 cars shows that Ds emit the same NOx and 1-2% more CO2 in real world driving scenarios, and only 15% more NOx in high load driving which accounts for a very small percentage of the driving cycle. This is why DPFs and after treatment systems like EGR are vital, but perfectly usable to bring the emissions back in line with petrol. The vilification of (modern) diesels is mis-placed. If I have a 2 litre modern diesel, and you have a 2.5 litre modern petrol, you're probably emitting more than me (I don't, I have a 3 litre old diesel that is nearly 30 years old, but it is financially crazy to replace it).

[Edited on 3/4/23 by coyoteboy]

[Edited on 3/4/23 by coyoteboy]

russbost

posted on 3/4/23 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I used to think hydrogen might be the answer, but various sources have shown me that (A) it's not really practical, as it has to be kept at very high pressure, (B) it leaks through everything eventually, (C) still has to be transported around the country and (D) the oil industry loves it, as they see it as a way to make more money from their oil once petrol and diesel sales drop off.

Here's one source (but I have read quite a few that say similar things):

I found that quite interesting, but they are taking just one guy's view, I have no idea what his agenda or biases are, but would be very hesitant to listen to one individual's view without researching dozens or hundreds more ........

I certainly can't agree with his view on big trucks - despite Tesla's outlandish claim's which it has yet to properly demonstrate in the real world, & speaking as an electric car owner, so I have some experience, his claim that many big trucks do no more than 250 miles a day, seems unlikely, but even if true, a 40 ton truck that can do 250 miles on one overnight charge (particularly in depths of winter or in generally colder climates) is going to need one massive shedload of batteries, so there's your space & payload gone, it's also going to to need some humungous cables to power it for that overnight charge particularly when parked alongside 50 other similar trucks that all need charging - pretty sure we're going to need an alternative here

The synthetic fuel thing is also interesting, but surely humungously expensive?

Add in the domestic heating side - I currently pay 1/7 the price of electricity for 1 kW of gas, & his estimate of 4:1 on heat pumps is waaay optimistic, you're looking at more like 2.5:1 when it gets significantly cold, to say nothing of the inefficiencies of heat pump type CH in older less well insulated buildings.

I'd say we're a loooong way from any sensible solution yet

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
roadrunner

posted on 3/4/23 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I look forward to an electric car.
I watched this clip last year and thought how fast would a seven accelerate with an EV power plant.

Jump forward to 17 minutes.

https://youtu.be/YjFzhFHyYl4

BenB

posted on 3/4/23 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Modern diesels are better than old ones but they still chuck out the schmoo. I had to take the egr valve off my old diesel as it wasn't working properly. It was clogged full of particulates, looked like someone had cast a bbq briquette in the tubing.

They could move away from lithium by moving to sodium batteries but they have worse energy density. Which means more energy hefting round the batteries....

David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/23 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

I found that quite interesting, but they are taking just one guy's view, I have no idea what his agenda or biases are, but would be very hesitant to listen to one individual's view without researching dozens or hundreds more ........

<snip>

I'd say we're a loooong way from any sensible solution yet

I did say that this was just one of many articles that I had seen and/or read. He's not alone, although I don't necessarily agree with everything he says.

I do agree that we're a long way from any easy solutions.

As an aside, It must be said that renewable energy sources don't cause very many environmental disasters... (e.g. Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Torrey Canyon oil spill, plus many thousands of other catastrophes).

russbost

posted on 3/4/23 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
"As an aside, It must be said that renewable energy sources don't cause very many environmental disasters... (e.g. Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Torrey Canyon oil spill, plus many thousands of other catastrophes)."

Agreed, but nor does properly managed nuclear - the problem there being disposal of used fuel, which wouldn't actually be a problem if we didn't have lunatic terrorists roaming the planet.

One major gripe I have with renewables is that instead of putting solar panels on industrial rooves, they are covering perfectly good farmland making it useless for crops .......

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/23 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
One major gripe I have with renewables is that instead of putting solar panels on industrial rooves, they are covering perfectly good farmland making it useless for crops .......

Very true - there are also quite a few desolate ex-industrial sites that could be used - old demolished power stations, chemical plants, and so on.

Simon

posted on 3/4/23 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Keep hearing the diesels are dirty but never seen the number people who died early after working in a bus garage all their lives....
coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Modern diesels are better than old ones but they still chuck out the schmoo. I had to take the egr valve off my old diesel as it wasn't working properly. It was clogged full of particulates, looked like someone had cast a bbq briquette in the tubing.

They could move away from lithium by moving to sodium batteries but they have worse energy density. Which means more energy hefting round the batteries....

Kinda the point - the EGR recycles to reduce NOX output and of course it catches soot. Soot goes into the DPF where it is subsequently burned to less harmfull materials. Same as petrol.

Let's be honest, batteries have inherent problems too and all you're doing is moving the problem away from the point of use, but there are no current technological improvements likely to make decent power density jumps, especially not in clean forms. Nothing comes for free.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

TBH this is because it's not financially viable to run farms anymore, and land costs even of old sites, are huge. However Agrivoltaics are a real thing and give the positives of both.

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/4/23 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
sort of on this subject, I keep wondering if the Arabs etc will start sticking vast numbers of solar panels up in the deserts, and use the energy generated to make synthetic fuels. It would keep them in business as oil production falls (or IF it falls)

I also don't understand why tidal power is not utilised. Set up a number of tidal lagoons around the UK coastline, and we would have a totally predictable and reliable 24hr source of energy. The costs are not dafy either, there was scheme that went head tio head with teh chinese power station being built, and over the long term would have been cheaper AND the UK would not be lumbered with the massive decommissioning costs. Not to mention the stupid idea of having the chinese running a UK nuclear power plant.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Make more sense to just export the power to neighbours.
Tidal isn't done because it turns out it has fairly hefty environmental impacts if done at scale and the costs involved are fairly large for the geoengineering involved.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/4/23 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

I also don't understand why tidal power is not utilised.

Salt water is incredibly corrosive, it's a hostile environment for maintenance workers, the sea is unforgiving and will, eventually, win against humans.

gremlin1234

posted on 3/4/23 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
tfl tested hydrogen buses in north london about 10 years ago, but they had too much difficulty with hills (1 in 15 in places) but we now (and for the last 3 years!) have battery electric buses.
coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/23 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
tfl tested hydrogen buses in north london about 10 years ago, but they had too much difficulty with hills (1 in 15 in places) but we now (and for the last 3 years!) have battery electric buses.

I'm guessing they were retrofitted gas fed hydrogen like the old school lpg conversions.

Hydrogen makes no sense until the power source for converting water to hydrogen is practically free and entirely renewable.

gremlin1234

posted on 3/4/23 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm guessing they were retrofitted gas fed hydrogen like the old school lpg conversions.

yes, I think they probably were

edit to add, here is an article about them, though not as tested on my local route
https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/03/05/end-of-the-road-for-pioneering-hydrogen-buses/

[Edited on 3/4/23 by gremlin1234]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.