Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorcycle generators...
PeterGT4

posted on 28/6/04 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
Motorcycle generators...

...Do they have the necessary output for use in a car like this? In other words, will they be able to run all of the lights, ventilation fan(s), electrically demisting windscreen, etc...
spunky

posted on 28/6/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Good question.
Check the alternator rating and do some maths. I've heard of some bikes that have struggled when the owners have stuck 100w lamps in the front.
Having said that my Triumph had a monster alternator, same output as my Rover Sterling...!

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Peteff

posted on 28/6/04 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
lights, ventilation fan(s), electrically demisting windscreen, etc...

What are you building, sounds like a saloon car? Not many bec's run windscreens, heaters etc. Bikes produce enough for lights, indicators and radiator fan, just don't use them if the engine isn't running unless you have a bigger battery.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogroove

posted on 28/6/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Give him a break he lives in canada! His next post will be "does any one know of a bolt on snow trax kit so I can use my bec in winter." LOL

You want it when!

Berwyn

posted on 28/6/04 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
check out my first comment in http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=13832

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

PeterGT4

posted on 28/6/04 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogroove
Give him a break he lives in canada! His next post will be "does any one know of a bolt on snow trax kit so I can use my bec in winter." LOL

And your point is?

Actually, here on the West coast of Canada, the winters are very mild (mostly just rain) and I drive my Ferrari 308 all year long. I plan to do the same with this car I'm planning to build (BEC Locost, for those who asked).

So if the bike generator in question isn't capable, how would I get the additional power? An additional car alternator hooked up somewhere else (in the drivetrain)?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/6/04 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just run a big battery or two batteries in parallel on the presumption that overall you'll be charging more than youll be discharging? Either that or wire in a battery conditioner so you can always have a fresh battery when going out in the morning, cos assuming it isnt drawing huge amounts more, it will run for miles on a slight discharge Id think.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.