Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WANTED: Fabrication of fury upright
DW100

posted on 22/1/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
How about getting some rear uprights designed and water jet cut like Doctor Derek Doctors has done in his build thread.

Description
Description

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/16 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mazzie, it's pretty easy to replace the floors with composite, and save weight and gain strength. One of the earliest things I did was to make a 10mm sandwich piece between 2x300gsm aramid and 2x300gsm carbon. It takes my considerable weight when balanced on two soup tins while I bob up and down on one foot. It actually has taken 20 stone on one foot on two soup tins, but it had made a couple of pinging sounds, so I didn't push it any further.

So, replacing the zero strength ally floor that's riveted in for composites that are bonded in will save you about 40% of the weight and give you a huge amount of strength.

I have cut out all of the tub and transmission tunnel, so I am getting the whole lot back with a composite tub.

quote:
Originally posted by mazie
Mark, very interesting stuff, really got me thinking and great that you've done a lot so far. I'll have a butchers through your archive is there are any pics of the mods I there, if not any chance of a few?
I'll have time free at the end of the year to start doing the same myself.
Howard & Mark did you both have steel floors and rear bulk heads? If so what have you done to replace the bracing, om trying to think of ways to reduce weight whilst keeping the lardy windscreen.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm interested if it replaces my hubs for less weight.

quote:
Originally posted by DW100
How about getting some rear uprights designed and water jet cut like Doctor Derek Doctors has done in his build thread.

Description
Description

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mazie

posted on 22/1/16 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Had a good look through your 'modifications' mark :-) and you've gone all the way back and then some with the yours.
My initial thinking was to replace the steel floor with additional boxing and ali sheet. I've never played with caron or fibre to much extent than making a few GRP panels.
Like you said making sure you dont get to the point of dding more weight than was there previously.

Only my front footwells are ali, the rest is steel all the way back to behind the bum and up to the shoulder. 720KG with my plump figure in it.
The ever obvious easy weight loss is the windscreen. I now dont plan to use the fury much on the road so the comfort factor and fear of stones, birds ( i had a pidgeon jump out and hit it which was funny( of said screen has diminished, so then go the wipers, motor, washer and bottle.

thatch got to be a good 35kg surely??

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/16 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really attached to the windscreen - I won't be losing it.

A friend of mine said "if you have to make a mod ... change EVERYTHING" and that's how this feels at the moment

Part of me wishes I hadn't gone on this mad carbon journey because it's taken too long, but the end result is going to be excellent. I should have a lighter car, and I've gone for a 240bhp spec duratec as well, so it should shift.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mazie

posted on 22/1/16 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
mark.. really.. 'should shift' I reckon your safe to say it will shift!

On a drive from London to the nurburgring in heavy rain , I found the windscreen to fog on the inside which was a nightmare for visibility! Bizzle was in front and with his spray included in the mix wasn't pleasant!

When Im ready to visit Simon up at cornering force ill be sure to let you know ,maybe pop in to see your car with a cuppa.

Russ

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/16 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
That'd be great. I live a 10 minute drive from Cornering Force, so I could come there and meet you. You're welcome to pick over the things I've done, and especially take a look at the floor panels I made. I'm not using them, but they will give an example of the weight savings you can get. The strength is weirdly high.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mazie

posted on 29/1/16 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joe

Any chance you've had a look at the upright for me?

thanks

Russ

HowardB

posted on 29/1/16 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this on the stratos thread?

Looks very interesting

rear sus
rear sus

Similar arrangement

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/1/16 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
So, best I see... That wishbone looks strengthened in the right place but you still have the twist about the pivot issue and there's no sign of a trailing link.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.