Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Pet peeves and rants......
Alan B

posted on 5/8/03 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Pet peeves and rants......

OK guys.....

What common questions, misconceptions, ideas etc. get your back up.....regarding locosting/cars etc..?

Mine:

RHS - I just vented recently on this one....SHS does NOT exsist in 1" square x 16g.....and even if it did it would be SHS...square ERW tube is what you need...

Mid-engine - I get annoyed at this misuse of this term....TVR, Ferrari (front eng ones), or many sevenesque cars may have perfect 50/50 weight distribution.....the engine C of G may be right in the centre of the car...BUT they are not mid-engined by definition if the engine is in front of the driver...it must be behind the driver and ahead of the rear axle line....

Rust inside tubes - Way too much time is spent worrying about this...drain them well, seal them well....then FFS, forget about the insides of the tube....

Theorising (sp?) - just build it...make the next one perfect..

WOW....I feel much better now.......

Anyone else care to vent????

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/8/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
People spending heaps of time and money trying to save every last Kilo - when the builder/driver is way overweight, and losing human weight would be beneficial to both man and machine!

Even when the driver isn't too porky, does a few kilos saved really justify the anguish and expense? Will it make a lot of difference when you drive down our congested roads?

David
(who's a tad broad in the beam himself )

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/03 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The perrennial debate of how to rust proof a locost that isnt gonna be driven much in rain anyway.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 5/8/03 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thought this may be a good thread....

David, Steve...good ones....total agreement here......

Don't we feel better now?

Ironically, it you left your frame outside unprotected, then wire brused the rust off...............it would be lighter..

No, not a serious idea.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
acronyms

My pet hate is acronyms - SHS, RHS, ERW, etc.

I know what these (well actually I just asked in another area what ERW is) are, but in general any acronym may have lots of meanings.

In a thread today I have seen mention of IDS for Ian Duncan Smith (the tory party leader) mentioning that it is infant death syndrome.

Most of this stems from working for someone who abreviated everything, including using the acronym PC to mean ............. passenger car. It's a 3 letter word which everyone understands, but PC means lots of other things in different ways. My daughter last night was talking about OGE's - I asked what it meant and she said on the job evaluation! She didn't know what it meant until recently and hadn't noticed that she was using the wrong letter - how the hell would you manage to figure that one out?

Well, that was a rant from me!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Simon

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

"....debate of how to rust proof a locost that isnt gonna be driven much in rain anyway"

I won't have to drive mine in the rain - my garage leaks!!

Anyway, couldn't you just fill all the tubes up with water/antifreeze and seal it up!

Alan,

"...then wire brused the rust off"

I'm sure that several kilo's have already been saved in this way by the numerous locost builders around the world.

Me included

As for my moans - people coming on here and asking totally unrelated questions such as "How do I change a spark plug on my Pug 205 deeezalll?"

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
for abbreviation haters, I thought this one up. Can anyone beat it?

my NEC P4 PC VDU EHT PSU is U/S OK?

glossary of terms:

Nippon Electric Company
Pentium 4
Personal Computer
Visual Dispplay Unit
Extra High Tension
Power Supply Unit
Un Serviceable
OK means what exactly?

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of abreviations at work so much they have their own abrevation - TLA (three letter abreviation) or ETLA (Extended-TLA). Arghhhh!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Rob Lane

posted on 5/8/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I saw an early rear engined Grand Prix car in the Donington Collection where they used the chassis side rails as tubes for the radiator.
No, I don't mean they used non stressed tubes but actual chassis side members. After all GP cars had a finite life, usually one or two seasons even in those days.

Certainly driver safety wasn't an issue, there's definitely at least two in the collection that have ali fuel tanks in cockpit as seat sides!! One a Lotus! Colin Chapman, looked after his drivers, I should say so!! Not.

mrmotorhead13

posted on 5/8/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm sure I saw an early rear engined Grand Prix car in the Donington Collection where they used the chassis side rails as tubes for the radiator.

Looking at my copy of "Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design" I see one that does that. The 1961 Lotus Formula Junior cars used the top right and bottom left chassis tubes to run coolant to/from the radiator. I'm reasonably sure I've seen that done on other cars at vintage meets as well.

Bill J

Peteff

posted on 5/8/03 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
What about asking what kind of bodywork etc is best or other such questions when just thinking about buying the metal to start a chassis, and people who correct a post by sending in another. Use the edit function provided at the top of the letter.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

D Beddows

posted on 5/8/03 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ho Ho..........

'I've never built a car in my life but I'm going to build a mid engine V8 Locost can anyone help'.........

'I've got a Nissan Bluebird ZX turbo which I want to turn into a rear wheel drive Locost can anyone help - I service my own lawnmower btw so the technical parts of the conversion shouldn't be a problem'.......

'I'm after 200bhp per ton but am worried it won't be quick enough for me - would a nitrous oxide kit help?'

and my recent personal favorite:-
'can I build a chassis from carbon fibre in my garage?'

BUILD THE SIMPLE ONE FIRST

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
My favorite,

" In reply to your query, Mark, in my experience, the structural strength will be sufficient for you suspension needs, I would triangulate the brackets, and use polyamide bushes and teflon coated bolts. i could expand on this but my Dad says its bedtime and I haven't finished my homework - its half term next week so I will U2U the full details so you can get your chassis right first time"

(slightly exagerrated but the theme is true)

D Beddows

posted on 5/8/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
lol!!!

The Yahoo Locost Theory site is my favorite for this kind of stuff..... typical fictional type example:- 'from my FEA analysis of chassis member F1b in my lunch hour I see that it is .5Nm too weak in shear - having read 'I. M. Obsesives' 'Perfect Nascar Chassis' he suggests chrome phomadium F123c tube as a solution has anyone tried this?'

And people actualy answer...........

JUST BUILD A CAR

Thinking about this topic I REALY miss Ken Walton who was able to stop much of this nonsense in its' tracks

chrisg

posted on 5/8/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
"Which engine shall I use?"

I Dunno, It's your car

"I'm using a space shuttle engine, can you find me a RWD gearbox?"

No

etc.............

Cheers

The misery

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 5/8/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Pet peeves?

oooh so many to choose from:

1: Poor Customer Service - Seems there are an especially large number of dinlos' working in the aftermarket car parts/spares sector for a start ATM.

2: Out of stock stuff! - Especially when they don't tell you at order time and you only realise when the other bits you ordered arrive, usually minus the key componant.

3: Ducati Service intervals. ()

4: Random SVA rulez - Where'd they get some of those size and distance regs from?

5: Message board posters who don't snip the reply and send a post that takes 20 seconds to scroll through - usually to a daft one liner!!!

argh

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I stopped posting on the theory group way back. It was much as you describe!

However, its hard to slag someone off for doing something thats within the group title - theory and building bu%%er all in practice.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
lol!!!

The Yahoo Locost Theory site is my favorite for this kind of stuff..... typical fictional type example:- 'from my FEA analysis of chassis member F1b in my lunch hour I see that it is .5Nm too weak in shear - having read 'I. M. Obsesives' 'Perfect Nascar Chassis' he suggests chrome phomadium F123c tube as a solution has anyone tried this?'

And people actualy answer...........

JUST BUILD A CAR

Thinking about this topic I REALY miss Ken Walton who was able to stop much of this nonsense in its' tracks

D Beddows

posted on 5/8/03 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, but the entire point of 'Locost' was/is to actualy build fairly quickly and cheaply a simple 'sports' car to drive and enjoy not something to spend 10 years agonising over wether a chassis member/wishbone/space shutttle engine is up to the job or will fit....mind you I realise there will always be people who think they know better and obviously I wish them all the best of luck
Spyderman

posted on 6/8/03 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
My peeves are;

People who have no patience with others, especially newbies!

Those that think everyone should think and do the same as they do! Sort of"If I didn't think of it or suggest it first it's got to be wrong!".

Everyone who doesn't understand me, even though I talk jibberish!

Terry

[Edited on 6/8/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

Rorty

posted on 6/8/03 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
Late as usual! (wrong hemisphere and not feeling well)
Some of my pet hates have been mentioned, but I'll add a few more:

1. Going to a motor factor, and asking for a specific part for your "special" (having spent hours combing through catalogues for the right item), and the Know-It-All w4nker behind the counter asks "What model and year car is it for?"
  2. People who stand back, with their arms folded, looking, sneeringly, at the car/bike you've spent the past year building, and asking "So, how fast can that thing go?"
  3. A certain cretan from this forum, abusing my publically viewable email address by sending me a threatening, foul-mouthed email.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Simon

posted on 6/8/03 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty,

"A certain cretan from this forum, abusing my publically viewable email address by sending me a threatening, foul-mouthed email."

I rec'd a U2U from someone on here, admittedly it wasn't "... threatening, foul-mouthed", so I posted it, with the mailer's details!

Perhaps you should think about doing the same, so we all know who it is!!

Probably about 12 years old, so not worth getting too excited about!

".. and not feeling well)"

Hope it's not too serious and you're well soon!

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/03 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
People who have no patience with others, especially newbies!

It's an easy trap to fall into - when you've heard the same dumb question 50 times from people who've not even tried to work it out for themselves...
...and then you remember that you asked the very same question a few years ago!!

Most of the time, though, I agree with D Beddows...

JUST BUILD A CAR !

Forget the huge engine, ultralight this and that, go-faster gizmos, and so on. Just build a car not too far from the book (with corrected drawings from Mr McSorley) with a modest engine. It will still handle better than almost any production car, and even a 1300 engine will accelerate faster than most Euroboxes.

JFDI = Just Do It!

David

pbura

posted on 6/8/03 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Theorising (sp?) - just build it...make the next one perfect..

Ouch! I resemble this remark!

Thanks for the pointers on rust prevention, Alan, I'll be able to sleep tonight

OK = (according to folklore) Oll Korrect, from a creative speller ticking off batches of ballots at a polling place.

Pete B.

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I thought
OK= Okay, (american) indian for "yes"

timf

posted on 6/8/03 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
bit off topic

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Certainly driver safety wasn't an issue, there's definitely at least two in the collection that have ali fuel tanks in cockpit as seat sides!! One a Lotus! Colin Chapman, looked after his drivers, I should say so!! Not.

IIRC there was rumours in the f1 teams during the late 70's that at least one team had filled the onboard fire extinguishers with nitros and would use them in an attemp to gain places at the end of the race.
how else did the team explain a huge gain in acceleration down the main straigts for one lap only.

now that is dangerous.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.