Completed, cost known 6k+

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build cost Poll
Fifer

posted on 8/4/04 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Build cost Poll

Seeing the rec ent polls on engines etc. Thought it may be useful to have one on build costs.
I've had a go at setting this up but as I'm pretty thick on the old computers, it may not be the best way to do it but may give us some good info.
Here we go

Fifer

posted on 8/4/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hey ! It worked !!
Guess what my car has cost ? (if you are looking at the first vote that is !)

thanks guys

JoelP

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
i've spent more on tools than on the damned car! plus a thousand hours of toil...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Fifer

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think thats a good point, I for one allowed for ALL the costs associated with my build incl SVA etc. This also includes the sort of tools I had to buy to complete as they (in my opinion) are part of the cost.
Peteff

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I already had my tools before I started the build as I have always been building something or other. If I included them in the build it would treble the cost. Do we include the shed in the cost?, as I built that for this kind of job as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

200mph

posted on 8/4/04 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
although I bought all my tools just for the build, i reckon every single one of them can look forward to a hard life, so would have needed to buy them at some point.

Mark

Fifer

posted on 8/4/04 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think a sensible approach to this is the way to go. i would suggest that if for instance you built a double garage to build the car in (like I did), this would not be included!!
However, if you (like me), bought a brake pipe tool that you may never use again, this should IMO be included.
But, whatever people include in their build is up to them, some like peteff have built, and will build other projects and spread these costs over years. others will buy things for a one off project and never use them again

andyps

posted on 8/4/04 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't started a build yet, but have ticked the box for under 2K as that is what I am aiming for. Had to tick something to see the results so far!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

phelpsa

posted on 8/4/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well done fifer, you did it. 3-4k for me including everything needed for hillclimbing (tyres, trailer......). Its all the stuff needed for SVA that puts the cost up, and buying everything new from a company. Scrappys and autojumbles are the best place to go if you want to keep it cheap.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/4/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i've spent more on tools than on the damned car! plus a thousand hours of toil...

yeah, all of that.

And I had to tick 6k plus

atb

steve

ps + 500 quid for a shed / garage extension

[Edited on 8/4/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/04 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I like the difference between the anticipated cost, and the known costs, not one below 3K!

I spend £20 a week on the car, £1K per year, my total build time 'should' be 18 months, plus the SVA/Registration costs, just below £2K

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bob

posted on 8/4/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'll not add tools on total price or the garage that cost 3K and house move so i could have a garage which was over 6.5K in costs not to forget the extra mortgage

Hell this car has cost me thousands.

phelpsa

posted on 8/4/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sold the Lotus Elise to have room to build it, can I take off what I got from that. That would take me to about £-8k!! Quite possibly the cheapest build ever.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fifer

posted on 9/4/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not very scientific I know, but seems to me that although there is a split of 80% Estimated votes to 20% of known costs voters, a bit of a picture can be seen here.
About 50% of the known cost voters reckon +6k to 20% of Estimated voters +6k
Seems the 3k to 6k brackets get around the same % from each group of voters.
And less than 3k seems to be favoured by the Estimator group.
I guess you could analyse this in many ways but am I right in thinking this shows that "most" people underestimate the costs ? and, the average cost is around 4k ???
Any views ? without getting very Mathmatical

madforfishing

posted on 9/4/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hell, when you look at it that way we could have all gone out and bought a lovely Robin Hood instead.

Fifer

posted on 9/4/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
You got it mate !!
You know, before i started this project, I did what everyone does in that I spend a grand on magazines, sent off for every brochour, went to shows etc etc. And all i can say now is that I'm as pleased as hell I built a Locost. Yes its cost me near 6k but whilst at the recent Stafford show, I didnt see many (7 type) cars that IM (humble) O, looked as good, or were built any better than mine.
Big headed i know but thats the way I feel.
I just know that I would have spent at least that, building a RH or the likes and at least this way, I can say to admirers that I built it myself, not from a Kit !!

thekafer

posted on 10/4/04 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
If its any comfort this is my third "kit car" and by far the cheapest. It will also be the best performing, nicest looking and most of all funnest to build. I've never been forced to do so much home work(one of my favorite parts) And lets face it,If we were all interested in the cheapest, safest, easiest car we'd bought an econobox of somekind.Besides,I kinda fancy my midlife crisis of choice....

Fletch

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

chrisg

posted on 10/4/04 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmmm,

Only one completed car under 2k. Mine.

May I suggest you re-read the title of the book?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

DEAN C.

posted on 10/4/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Chris! do you still believe in Santa as well?

The book is only for conning the wife into letting you start in the first place!

I'm just under £4000 and nothing left to pay for except the Sva & registration,not bad for a twin cam screamer .......

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Fifer

posted on 10/4/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your photos ChrisG, nice car for under 2k, well done, dont know how you do it.
By the way, how did you get SVA with these bonnet catches ?

chrisg

posted on 11/4/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Free Donor, all the steel for the chassis for a tenner, Ali nose and grp wings were college projects(free materials) home made dampers,theft etc,

My car was registered pre-SVA hence the catches and donor registration.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

pbura

posted on 11/4/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Free Donor, all the steel for the chassis for a tenner, Ali nose and grp wings were college projects(free materials) home made dampers,theft etc,

So are you claiming to have actually built the car for less than £250?

Pete

Pete

chrisg

posted on 11/4/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.

No.

About £1300, don't know what that is in American, sorry..

Cheers

Chris

derf

posted on 12/4/04 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Uk to Us, to make it easy (although it's not, its really quite complicated) I have been using the 2:1 ratio. It's slightly less, but 2:1 works close enough.

I expect it to cost me around 2k US, then after it's built and registerd I will do some add ons and modify it. I am planing on hitting the 4k button, but I expect to never be done until the car is out of my life. i find that a car is a never ending money pit. An oil change here, an engine rebuild there, well, it just gets pread out over time...

derf

posted on 12/4/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Oops I used the other math, divide US currency in half. I should be spending about 1K UK by end, and then more after that.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.