Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 7 Seater Advice....
marcjagman

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Renault Espace Grande diesel. Superb piece of kit, loads of room, easy access, loads of toys, cheapish to buy, fantastic on fuel, 2.2td does 45mpg, yes 45mpg. I would recommend to anyone.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Both our families have Renault/Peugeot/Citroens in and all of them have electric problems... my dad's peugeot had lots of toys... most stopped working after 100,000...

Wont touch anything french now.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

goodguydrew

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
My borther in law has had his Seat Alhambra 54 plate, diesel since new. Great car, roomy, reliable and ecomomical.
splitrivet

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of people dont like MPV's that is till theyve owned one. They are simply one of the best bits of kit going, from taking stuff to the tip to picking up car parts and the higher driving position just seems safer.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

rgrs

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure that this isnt her way of telling you it's going to be twins ?

Roger

Simon

posted on 14/1/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Grand Espace and I like it. Comfy, economical, load of space (I, at 6', can sit in all rear seats comfortably), and 5 star euro ncap.

We were thinking of the Chrysler Voyager/Kia Sedona but neighbour had one and it was like being in a truck. And they are 2 star Euro NCAP which was the reason we went for the Espace. Other choice was Galaxy, but dealer said they had trouble getting them, and they expected me to pay full(ish) price (yeah, dream on).

ATB

Simon

bj928

posted on 15/1/10 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
i borrow my mates galaxy all the time, love it, have decided to find a v6 LPG one for myself, but want the v6 4x4 sharan 4motion on gas, hens teeth would be easier to find!!!!!
morcus

posted on 15/1/10 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
Growing up in a large family, we had this problem alot (Though In the 90's MPV's were very expensive and poo as I remember). I wouldn't go for a Zafira because the back just isn't big enough. If you use the seats, only kids will fit in them and you lose the boot, also, and no offence to anyone with one, but they tend to be driven by knobs (I'm not saying having one makes you a knob, but almost every time I see a man driving one, they're driving like a knob), also the new one has poo electronic switch gear which makes turning the indicators on and off aukward.

My dad did have a colman milne dorchester with three rows of benches, but I couldn't reckomend it. It was fun but it was thirsty and I think you'd have reliabilty problems.

The Best of the MPVs we had would either be the Sedona or the Espace (Apart from the transmission going, which the AA said was common on the manual box). The Espace is the best MPV for doing van stuff with. Don't get a chrysler, I know a few people who've had them and they've all suffered terribly, My Godmothers blew it self up when it was just 4 years old, and did it in Calais on their way home to Brussels.

If you want a car to carry 7 people, my first thought would be to go French, Last year my dad rented a C8 and an 807, both for a weekend (seperate weekends) for familly events and they were both amazing. There is also the 307 estate with an extra row of seats (I believe forward facing) which would probably be one of your cheapest options fuel and tax wise.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

02GF74

posted on 15/1/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
land rover station wagon, but will struggle to get a newish one for that budget.

oldtimer

posted on 15/1/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I still think a Zafira should be considered, and that is after 60,000 miles and 7 years of 100% reliable, ecomonical ownership.

Ours has carried engines and motorcycles in the back, towed cars around the country, been packed upto the eyeballs on camping trips around Europe, is used every week as transport for 6 children on the school run, etc, etc..

All that in 1.6 2ngine mode and 40mpg average. Serviced annually and that's it.

And, it isn't driving a Zafira means you are a knob, it's being a knob that makes you a knob......

And, why is it that people who are about to be offensive say "no offence, but, ....."

l0rd

posted on 15/1/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would go for the Renault Espace as it is the only one that is relatively nice looking car.

I know they have problems, which car doesn't though. A well maintaned one could be trouble free.

Jasper

posted on 15/1/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Re Renault diesels Renault and Nissan Dci diesels tend to very very expensively self destruct, the turbo internals have tendancy end up in the cylinders. Lubrication problem -- oil type and oil change interval issues.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by britishtrident]

Second that - I blew up the turbo on a 1 year old Espace, the thing was a pile of crap, so unreliable, I'd NEVER buy a French car ever again. And yes, mine was well maintained, low mileage, but it went back to Renault 3 times in one year, and while I was standing at the workshop counter there were endless people complaining about their nearly new Renaults breaking. IMHO AVOID....

[Edited on 15/1/10 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

MikeR

posted on 15/1/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
What do people think of S-MAX's? I quite like the look of them.
MikeLR

posted on 15/1/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
We have a Honda Shuttle from new on a "T" reg, done 125K. Only costs have been routine servicing. Most reliable of all People carriers (7 seats), in excellent condition but only worth circa 1-1.5K !
Mike

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/2/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ended up with a 7 seat zafira, small petrol rather than diesel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte m&item=230427380990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Ninehigh

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc the Smax isn't 7 seater, and it's a Mondeo that's tall...

I struggled to get into the back of a Zafira, but it was comfortable enough for a short run.
Grand Espace was quite nice and a bit more space right back there, but I still couldn't exactly jump in.
Sedona was great, tons of room and I could almost stand up in there!

Have you considered an ex-Royal Mail van or something of that sort?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
No, because we bought a zafira... she wouldnt want a van.

oh and the Smax is a 7 seater... or at least they have that option for proper 7 seater configuration....

[Edited on 6/2/10 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Ninehigh

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Doh!
Just fallen foul to "eyes glazing over after a while" syndrome!

Not bad, the people at Vauxhall told us that engine was pretty decent on fuel too. Reminds me of the Astra I had

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
It shares a lot of bits with the Astra i think

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Ninehigh

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Surprisingly the Haynes manual I had was titled "Astra/Zafira diesel"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.