Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BT Infinity?
David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The ping indicator went across very quickly!

In subsequent tests the ping has been between 10 and 20ms, which seems more sensible. It's really nice to be able to play YouTube videos in 1080p and see the buffer filling way ahead of the 'play line'. Here's the latest test, after letting it settle down for a while:

I had one minor gotcha when the Openreach man did his stuff - I had drilled some holes and installed some trunking so that I could run some ethernet cable in the same route, expecting him to use the old-fashioned BT cable that had a really small diameter. Unfortunately nowadays they use a higher spec 4-pair cable and it's almost as thick as the ethernet cable I'd planned to run; the holes in the walls are looking a bit 'snug'. Still, it's not an insurmountable problem.

[Edited on 4/4/14 by David Jenkins]

coozer

posted on 17/4/14 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
So, its been on now for 2.5 hours, seamless switch over. No hassle from any side (was expecting some grief from Sky)

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I'm using the same fibre to the cabinet technology but with a different ISP, Zen Interenet. Zen are widely regarded as the best UK ISP and I can certainly recommend them. My Dad and a good friend use BT having previously been with Zen and have had problems with speed and reliability. As with most things, you get what you pay for.
Zen isn't cheap but there are better options than BT (eg. Plusnet). Have a look at the ratings on thinkbroadband.com

Zen are fine until something goes wrong
The most expensive ISP in the UK I my experience they are very reluctant to call in BT engineers for line faults.

A few years back they had a major security breach in their accounts department they had a rougue employee sold thousands of customers credit card details.

[Edited on 17/4/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Simon

posted on 17/4/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Got BT Vision and internet recently. YouView so unreliable we still haven't cancelled Sky !

Must remember to call and have a massive moan.

ATB

Simon

beaver34

posted on 17/4/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote

ours has been great, box needs a reset once a month but thats it no issues

britishtrident

posted on 18/4/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Got BT Vision and internet recently. YouView so unreliable we still haven't cancelled Sky !

Must remember to call and have a massive moan.

ATB

Simon

You View is a dead end most of the original consortium have abandoned it.

Get yourself a Roku USB stick or if you want to flash more cash a RoKu3 nb Don't bother with the Roku 1 or Roku 2 as they don't do Demand5 or ITV Player.

There is also the £10 to £15 NowTv box which is a Roku LT with restricted firmware, it will give most of the free to air catch-up TV services but the subscription services are restricted to SKY/NowTV so no Netflix or Amazon Prime Instant

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.