Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valve timing and the use of a camshaft vernier pulley.
bumpy

posted on 28/10/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
On the 32/36 carb I had back in the early 80's the 2nd choke was operated by vacuum. If there is none it won't work.

I am hoping the fact that I can open both chokes by hand up at the carb, with the engine off, means its not this type.

bumpy

posted on 28/10/14 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Have bodged up a cable just to test the principle and the engine now pulls exactly as it should.

You know, I have had this car 3 years and only recently stated to resent the lack of performance. Its like having a new motor. All's well that ends well and thanks so much to everyone that contributed. Plenty of other ideas for the quiet winter months.

SCAR

posted on 28/10/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
3 years and you've only ever used half throttle........ brill. Bet your fuel consumption figures increase. Don't feel too bad I once bought a lovely xflow powered westy with 4 speed box. After about a weeks ownership and out of habit I snicked it into fifth. The previous owner that sold it to me as a four speed had used it as such for 3 years although he said he hadn't done many miles in it as it was "a bit revy on a run"
Nickp

posted on 28/10/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's cheap BHP, just a shame it took 3yrs to find it
bumpy

posted on 29/10/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
That's cheap BHP, just a shame it took 3yrs to find it

Yes I'm amazed it took so long, but the performance was like that when I bought it and with the aerodynamics of a brick I wasn't expecting much different.

Spent most of the Summers cruising around sedately enjoying the views and it wasn't till the other day when it was windy and I needed 3rd gear to maintain 70mph that I really felt I should do something about it.

Falcon
Falcon

bumpy

posted on 30/10/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
Changed the mechanical fuel pump for a much more modern version. The improvement was worth the effort, but not solved my initial problem.

Having sorted out the top end performance, I now am able to appreciate what a difference has been made by installing a later (better) mechanical pump. The car now whispers along at 60mph with barely any throttle.

This confirms the Weber's desire to operate with its best performance when the float levels are maintained where they should be.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.