Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag V6 dyno results (at last)
sdh2903

posted on 4/10/20 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
My build is now complete (well as complete as they ever get) big thanks to dave and kev for all their help along the way. Without seeing dave's build I prob never would have thought of using the Aj30.

Had the car back on the rollers a couple weeks back to iron out a couple of wrinkles and also the first visit my fuel pump was starting to fail. Gained a useful 20bhp and ended up with 229 bhp on a hub dyno.

big_wasa

posted on 4/10/20 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice

Any chance of some under bonnet pics. I would love to see how its packaged, I’ve seen kevs.

[Edited on 4/10/20 by big_wasa]

sdh2903

posted on 4/10/20 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Very similar to kevs.

big_wasa

posted on 4/10/20 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Anything of the exhaust please And I though a turbo zetec was crammed in.
sdh2903

posted on 4/10/20 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have many useful pics of the exhausts to be honest. I'm using the same st220 manifolds as dave. If I were chasing more power theres prob some decent gains to be had from a pair of tubular manifolds. I do fancy giving tig welding a bash at some point so may well revisit.

40inches

posted on 5/10/20 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Good job Steve Another AJ30, we need to start a club
Kev has long exhaust manifold headers, his has around 10bhp more than mine.

big_wasa

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice, thank you.

I've got some veeeeery long primary headers. I can't see me getting them in a 7 though. Hence comparing other ideas.

40inches

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
What starter did you use Steve?
I had to use 25mm spacers for the downpipe to clear it.
Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Good job Steve Another AJ30, we need to start a club
Kev has long exhaust manifold headers, his has around 10bhp more than mine.

I've had mine on three RRs now with massive differences in power,even though car is going as well as always!

Did 286 BHP when getting mapped, then at two RR days with different kit car clubs it did 232bhp,then the last time was 244bhp!

Although I've lowered the rev limiter to 6900rpm to try and stop me killing alternators and the power is still rising at 6900rpm on the rollers of the latest two runs so that will have reduced the top figure slightly.....

sdh2903

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I am using the rocketeer sump which tucks the standard s type starter right in so no issues with clearance.

image hosting

Oddified

posted on 18/10/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
My EGT went from 900deg c on low boost 0.6bar to 950deg c on 1.45bar high boost.... it was around 470-480bhp on 0.6bar so not miles away from what your seeing at 500bhp so Im interested if you see the same increase trend I had when you push the power up.

Well after much messing about with clutches for several months, making my own twin plate which sorted that and then breaking 4th gear in the gearbox a few days afterwards which is now changed for the bigger/stronger 01E box...everything's holding together perfectly now! lol . Boost setting #3/maximum attack mode tested up to 2 bar boost, the peak egt's are only around 880c but on this setting i have it running richer at around 11.0 afr and also water/meth activated with a 10 gph nozzle (devils own system) which is no higher egt's than the lower boost setting (but that's a little leaner and no water/meth). The engine certainly likes a little bit more fuel and water/meth (which also helped lower the IAT's as expected) and the car is quite nippy at 2 bar boost!

andygtt

posted on 13/11/20 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
My EGT went from 900deg c on low boost 0.6bar to 950deg c on 1.45bar high boost.... it was around 470-480bhp on 0.6bar so not miles away from what your seeing at 500bhp so Im interested if you see the same increase trend I had when you push the power up.

Well after much messing about with clutches for several months, making my own twin plate which sorted that and then breaking 4th gear in the gearbox a few days afterwards which is now changed for the bigger/stronger 01E box...everything's holding together perfectly now! lol . Boost setting #3/maximum attack mode tested up to 2 bar boost, the peak egt's are only around 880c but on this setting i have it running richer at around 11.0 afr and also water/meth activated with a 10 gph nozzle (devils own system) which is no higher egt's than the lower boost setting (but that's a little leaner and no water/meth). The engine certainly likes a little bit more fuel and water/meth (which also helped lower the IAT's as expected) and the car is quite nippy at 2 bar boost!

2bar, very impressive!!!! i was 650hp at the hubs with 1.45bar, but i couldn't get the inlet to make more power with extra boost above that even though my turbo could deliver 2bar.

What inlet manifold are you running? did you machine your cams?.

Good to know the heads can take that kind of boost, In previous iterations I ran up to 1.6bar but it was actually less power (626bhp flywheel) at the time due to the engine spec i ran.... I capped at 1.6bar as at the time didn't know if the engine/transmission could take more than 600bhp (it was widely thought it couldn't at the time).

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Oddified

posted on 14/11/20 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:

2bar, very impressive!!!! i was 650hp at the hubs with 1.45bar, but i couldn't get the inlet to make more power with extra boost above that even though my turbo could deliver 2bar.

What inlet manifold are you running? did you machine your cams?.

Good to know the heads can take that kind of boost, In previous iterations I ran up to 1.6bar but it was actually less power (626bhp flywheel) at the time due to the engine spec i ran.... I capped at 1.6bar as at the time didn't know if the engine/transmission could take more than 600bhp (it was widely thought it couldn't at the time).

The inlet manifold is the st220, i ported the heads/intermediate/manifold, of course the main manifold isn't totally possible after about 6" in from either ends. The cams are std st220 (timed correctly). I don't think the intake manifold is particularly good but i also think the exhaust manifold is just as important and they are tubular and equal long length on every cylinder. I've had it briefly up to 2.5 bar but the logs suggest everything was maxed out/on the limit/over the hill...not to mention grip was a major issue! lol. Being realistic 2 - 2.2 bar is the max that's sustainable on my current setup.

mgb281

posted on 17/3/21 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone is looking for a cheap 65mm throttle body the go to Ebay.com (USA) and search for a Ford Crown Victoria throttle body from the late nineties on a 4.6 litre V8. It has the same mounting hole distances. I paid less than £30 including postage from a 56000 mile car.
mgb281

posted on 19/3/21 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Costkev
What do you put the variation down to? two of you posted similar figures last year (or was it the year before) when the mapping was done. A 40bhp drop is quite a chunk, were the original figures a little ambitious or are there other factors, not finger pointing just curious.

[Edited on 20/3/21 by mgb281]

magpies

posted on 28/3/21 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
St200 inlet. Throttle inlet is just over 65mm. Smaller port is 30mm and bigger 31.5.

Jagin1
Jagin1

Jagin2
Jagin2

Jagin3
Jagin3

I am building an engine for another TVR S (mine uses a home made intermediate ally block between the standard AJ30 lower inlet and injectors and home made runners fed from an Alfa plenum and 70mm FBW TB giving 265bhp)
This time after reading this thread, using the AJ30 lower and injectors, cut down ST220 inlet and a ST200 main plenum. I would like some advice on TB's as the standard ST200 is 65mm but cable operated and the standard AJ30 is 70mm FBW but also a monstrosity of a unit with its idle control. Will be using an Emerald K6+ ecu.
On my car Jools had problems getting a steady idle, it hunts between 900 and 1500 rpm when cold and a bit better when hot. He thinks the 70mm may be too large and difficult at small throttle openings.
Should I go 65 or 70 is the question.

40inches

posted on 28/3/21 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used the ST220 throttle body, can't remember the size but Joolz didn't find any a problem with idle.
Should say that I think the ST220 TB is around 68-70mm and is cable operated which gives a good amount of adjustment for idle.
Description
Description

[Edited on 28-3-21 by 40inches]
eBay Item

[Edited on 28-3-21 by 40inches]

mgb281

posted on 28/3/21 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I do not have a ST220 throttle body to measure but this ad off Ebay says that it is 60mm;
k8AAOSwXSJXOtN0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mondeo-st220-enlarged-throttle-body-65mm/393184243385?hash=item5b8b9b6eb9:gk8AAOSwXSJXOtN0
The Crown Victoria/Mustang one is actually 67mm, its worth a look, you may need to look for a while due to most of the sellers charging silly prices to send to the UK. When I bought is was with Ebay's Global Shipping but here is an example;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2004-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-FORD-CROWN-VICTORIA-THROTTLE-BODY-OEM/312570090899?fits=Model%3ACrown+Victoria&hash=item48 c6a11593%3Ag%3AEo4AAOSw2XFUh6MZ&LH_ItemCondition=3000

[Edited on 28/3/21 by mgb281]

Oddified

posted on 28/3/21 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure the standard ST220 throttle body is 60mm (i'll double check tomorrow as i have one on my bench..). I have a 68mm fbw on now from a Merc, no issues what so ever but not really relevant as the engine isn't standard and a turbo fitted.
sdh2903

posted on 28/3/21 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Standard st200/st220 is 60mm. I had mine bored out to 65mm.

The only issues I've had with idle were air leak issues between the st200 inlet and the adapter plates. Thick Cork gaskets cured it. I don't run an Iacv and mine idles even from cold with no pedal input quite happily. Although to assist I did raise the idle to around 950/1000 rpms.

I found it to be hyper sensitive when trying to use an iacv, I tried the Ford and also a bosch one.

40inches

posted on 29/3/21 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I was wrong. Checking my notes and memory the ST220 is 60mm and the TB that came with the ST200 inlet was 50mm
My set up with ST200 inlet and ST220 TB was still flowing and increasing power at 7200rpm

magpies

posted on 29/3/21 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
from the info above am I right in saying:

The ST200 plenum would have come with a 50mm TB but some have fitted a ST220 TB (60mm) or even a bored out one to 68mm with good results.

I presume the ST200 plenum inlet has been opened up and tapered from ,say, 60mm to the 50mm throat. Then a tapered make up piece to connect the 65/68/70mm TB to the ST200 plenum inlet?

Or has the ST200 inlet been opened up so the smallest dia is 60mm?

sdh2903

posted on 29/3/21 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
The stock st200 TB is 60mm. The stock st220 TB is also 60mm.

The lesser 2.5 v6 is the one with the smaller body.

The inlet to the st200 plenum is around 65mm so that's why I had the body bored to match.

The st24 plenums have smaller diameter runners and inlet.

40inches

posted on 29/3/21 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by magpies
from the info above am I right in saying:

The ST200 plenum would have come with a 50mm TB but some have fitted a ST220 TB (60mm) or even a bored out one to 68mm with good results.

I presume the ST200 plenum inlet has been opened up and tapered from ,say, 60mm to the 50mm throat. Then a tapered make up piece to connect the 65/68/70mm TB to the ST200 plenum inlet?

Or has the ST200 inlet been opened up so the smallest dia is 60mm?

My ST200 plenum was fitted with a 50mm TB, but the inlet bore was 60mm!!! so the 60mm bolted straight on.
Just my personal opinion, but with my RR results, I can't see the point in fitting one larger than 60mm.

magpies

posted on 29/3/21 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just been down to the garage and measured the inlet. 65mm. Looks easy to open up to 70 to fit the Jag or vw Audi TB.
<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.