Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin engine transfer box - one for the engineers.
02GF74

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
that second crank won't be happy for sure.

the more pistons you have on a crank, the bigger the torque will be so the second crank, clinder 1 will see the torqye from the previous engine, at cylinder 4 it will see 2x torque it was designed for.

I've read somewhere that cranks do get beefier towards the flywheel end to account for this - think rover v8 is one but not sure.

smart51

posted on 25/9/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Why not ditch the diff all together and have each engine drive just 1 wheel?
sgraber

posted on 25/9/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I do understand what you are saying about the crank breaking, et all. We will scrap that idea for now.

quote:
Originally posted by smart51

That's a real smart thought there. I had that one drawn up early on, but didn't think it would fly. But since everything else has failure written all over it, why not?

Direct drive each wheel. When one wheel loses traction, the other continues to receive power. Isn't that like driving them with an LSD diff? If both engines had traction control via ecu then you could get a lot of power down that way.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 25/9/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
I do understand what you are saying about the crank breaking, et all. We will scrap that idea for now.

quote:

That's a real smart thought there. I had that one drawn up early on, but didn't think it would fly. But since everything else has failure written all over it, why not?

Direct drive each wheel. When one wheel loses traction, the other continues to receive power. Isn't that like driving them with an LSD diff? If both engines had traction control via ecu then you could get a lot of power down that way.

What would happen if one of the engines wasn't running right?? crab situation? I guess it would show up in excessive tyre wear...

(they are all questions, not statements - I'm just an interested party, with questions to bring to the table rather than answers!)

thomas4age

posted on 26/9/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Don't bother about doint that.

Just a very different thought if you have that sort of room so stuff with engines and the lot, why not stuff an extra diff up front and run a prop to it

twin engines
4 wheel drive
no drive connection between engines
seperate ECU's
just a gear linkage to hook up, do air shift and have it on the button.

the possibility of shutting one engine down by putting it in neutral.

should be by far the easiest sollution,
Zcars did it Ultima did it with the twin busa turbo GTR.........

easy to maintain No chains stock parts

ps the coupler box design I put up is used extensivly in tractor pulling so should be quite strong if you do it right.

the engine joining at the cranck can be done but will break, seen that on twin subbaru boxers, flat 8 flatplane without turbo's, went bang in half an hour

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Peteff

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
When one wheel loses traction, the other continues to receive power

With an engine driving each wheel it would work in a straight line but when you corner there will be no differential action unless you slow down the engine driving the inside wheel. It would be more like driving with a spool or a locked differential.

[Edited on 26/9/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Minicooper

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Twin engines one driving each wheel no differential appears to work for this guy

http://furorecars.co.uk/pics.php

Cheers
David

smart51

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
With an engine driving each wheel it would work in a straight line but when you corner there will be no differential action unless you slow down the engine driving the inside wheel. It would be more like driving with a spool or a locked differential.

[Edited on 26/9/07 by Peteff]

If you go in to a corner the inside wheel will slow and the outside wheel speed up taking the engines with them. Remember that the engine speed is not goverend by the throttle or fuel as such but is held down by the resistance of the vehicle.

You would have as much differential action as you'd need.

Minicooper

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago there was a twin engined wolfrace wheels demo vehicle, it had two rover v8 engines to two complete differentials, one open dif and one lsd diff

This is the only thing I can find

http://www.supercarworld.com/cgi-bin/prototypes.cgi?startfrom=61&sortby=atoz

Cheers
David

[Edited on 26/9/07 by Minicooper]

NS Dev

posted on 26/9/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age

should be by far the easiest sollution,
Zcars did it Ultima did it with the twin busa turbo GTR.........

easy to maintain No chains stock parts

ps the coupler box design I put up is used extensivly in tractor pulling so should be quite strong if you do it right.

grtz Thomas

Ultima DID NOT build the twin engine car. It was built by Z Cars, and was not great as far as I know.

I know cars with individual drives have been done, and I know that they can be made to go very quick in a straight line, but I have yet to see one that handles!!

For this very reason autograss cars were banned many years ago from having seperate drives from seperate engines to seperate wheels.............at some point the drive has to be coupled.

PS yep the spider box coupling you talk about has been used in tractor pulling for years and has proved reliable transmitting over 5000hp and 7000lbft of torque in that application!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thomas4age

posted on 27/9/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
You're right about the ultima, reading it i remember knowing that,
the car is with it's owner in spain now iirc

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Remember that the engine speed is not goverend by the throttle or fuel as such but is held down by the resistance of the vehicle.

Agreed but that resisting force has to come from somewhere and its that force that will cause problems IMHO.

Im thinking this through a bit as I type but to better explain my thinking, imagine a triangle with a pivot in the middle, something like this

Image deleted by owner

A and B are two equal forces (equivalent to the engine forces), the blue blob is the pivot.

If you apply a vertically downward force at C (as if you were turning the front of the triangle to go around a corner), unless A suddenly increases it's force (which it doesn't) C is having to apply a force to overcome B to make the triangle turn.

In the real world this force is in addition to the forces the front wheels are subjected to anyway due to the car's mass wanting to carry on going straight ahead. What this will mean is that for any given corner, you've got less front end grip available (compared to a car with an open diff) to generate cornering force because some of it is already used up fighting the force from the inner rear wheel.

I.E. it will comparatively understeer like a pig and not be able to generate as much cornering speed!

I think

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.