Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 - Which radiator will do?
ChrisW

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a Polo rad to cool my v6. hoping it will be good enough! It's about 2/3 the surface area of the Scorpio one but thicker and I imagine is has more cores.

If a polo rad will fit your car could you not put two in one behind the other?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 3/12/03 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
Yes I had thought of that but it's probably a lot of work to get all the pipes linked up and water tight. Might be easier to just get a single radiator which is the right size and thicker (ie. More rows)
Cheers,
Craig.

GO

posted on 3/12/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about the old double rad trick, plumbing could be tricky trying to get the outlet of first to inlet of second. Might be worth a look but I'm not sure you'd have enough depth behind the nose??

Would be prob 3 times thicker than just one (allowing for extra plumbing).

[Edited on 3/12/2003 by GO]

JoelP

posted on 3/12/03 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking of putting the radiator inside the chassis, as i have loads of space inside the nose between the rack and the front of the engine. shorter hoses and weight further back, plus the nose can go tighter...
if i find one that fits, i will!

Stu16v

posted on 3/12/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Does anyone know how many rows the Polo radiator has?

Two rows, IIRC. There is an equivelant sized one available off a certain model Golf (unfortunately I dont know...) which is dimensionally the same, but thicker (3 row).
I have never seen reports of overheating in traffic or otherwise with a sorted cooling system using a Polo rad. But as mentioned earlier, they are 4 pot motors. The RV8 may roughly equivalent BHP wise, but there is another 1500cc worth of engine in there making the power in the first place.
FWIW, the 'custom' Westy rad can struggle to keep a RV8 cool.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

craig1410

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,
Take a look at this one. The friend I was referring to earlier has decided to buy this and I must admit it looks the business. It is from a Land Rover Discovery Tdi.

Two more images to follow

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 4/12/2003 by craig1410]

craig1410

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote

craig1410

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote

I should mention that this Locost chassis is +4" wider than book and as you can see has a Rover V8 3.5Litre engine with a Holley 390cfm.

mackie

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. Designed to work in the Sahara no doubt. The Merc one is probably over engineered too.
craig1410

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mackie,
You're probably right but given that it cost just over £100 (RRP over £200) it doesn't seem like a bad deal. RPi engineering recommend this as a suitable radiator to cool the RV8 effectively. I'm going to go around to my local scrappie at the weekend and try to find a similar sized radiator on a car which is more likely to have cheaper spare parts availability. Maybe the likes of the Golf VR6 might be worth a look not that I'm likely to find one of those at my scrapyard...
Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Just checked, the VR6 radiator is £79 from eurocarparts. I wonder what size it is...

Donners90

posted on 4/12/03 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Luego

Luego sell a radiator for their Viento V8. Maybe it'll be worth asking them for dimensions and specs?? I'm not sure if they have had any problems cooling, but a few laps round Rockingham would have put some heat into it!!!
Donners90

posted on 4/12/03 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
This is a Viento V8. One built by a customer. Picture taken from Luego website! Not sure if the rad has been supplied by Luego tho.

[Edited on 4-12-2003 by Donners90]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.