Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop snapped at HIGH speed
JoelP

posted on 10/4/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977
has anyone considered some form of collar at incremental points, to hopefully limit the movement of the shaft should a break occur?

yup, i considered this a while ago. I thought of maybe using bands of 3mm strip bolted close round it, to contain it if it went west. Obviously the closer to its axis you hold it, the less flailing there is.

only any use on a fixed diff though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

RogerM

posted on 10/4/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Would have to be ovals on a live axle, can still be done but not as easily or tidily.
Mr G

posted on 10/4/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
No its not caused by the lens of the camera, those chassis members where originally vertical!

Steel floor helped out.

Bad damage to a,b,k,c,d (book ref)

I was only watching an episode of 'Rides' (Clean!) the other day where they showed you a company that produced replicas of the "Gone in sixty seconds" 'elanor' shelby mustang. They bolted on an extra slung cradle underneath the prop area just incase of prop failure as they can then dig in and flip the car.

Time to get the welder out out billy

Cheers

G

Marcus

posted on 10/4/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Once saw a flywheel give way on a rally at Cadwell Park.
The car was an immaculart Kadett C GT/E, the ring gear spiralled through the bonnet, 50 feet into the air
Could have gone anywhere - driver and navigator very shocked!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
billy

posted on 10/4/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Mr.G, your showing off top building tips i picked up from ron champion himself, those brake pipe clips cut from a tin can. seems like ages since i did that

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

andylancaster3000

posted on 10/4/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm feeling a little scared about driving one of these locost things now! There have been more incidents of this nature than I thought.

Mr G: Were you ok after that incident, it seems that prop of yours made a quick visit towards your side.

Andy

billy

posted on 10/4/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
dont worrie m8, i was giving it some real s**t and with nearly 200 bhp im not suprised the car found its weakest link humbug

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Mr G

posted on 10/4/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
Mr G: Were you ok after that incident, it seems that prop of yours made a quick visit towards your side.

Andy

Lucky for me billy was a 'billy no mates' on that proptastic outing

I think the only person who would of been willing to jump back in the seat after that lot would of been Sir Douglas Barder

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

ned

posted on 11/4/05 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
i'd still be up for a ride in the car when repaired, you'd be really stupid to let it happen again

just makes me worry that my chassis is at the powder coaters and I haven't put any extra protection in my tranny tunnel. guess i could always rivet or rivnut something to help..

ps for anyone with flywheel concerns you can get arp flywheel bolts that should be stronger than standard ones...

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Scary - glad I chickened out of making my own propshaft!
Mine came from Autoprop - their car props are a sideline - normally they make props for trucks! I'd guess that they know how to make them properly.

David

The Shootist

posted on 12/4/05 at 03:22 AM Reply With Quote
These are REQUIRED equipment on drag cars

[img]http://www.martelbrothers.com/product_image.php?imageid=100658[/img]

[Edited on 4/12/05 by The Shootist]

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Nope - can't see that picture...

David

Bananaman

posted on 12/4/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
The F2 stockcar guys actually sit astride there flywheel/gearbox/propshaft and in my opinion they've got a lot of balls to do this sport

We've had the flywheel come off a couple of times, once on full revs (8,000 plus) and it doesn't even leave the crank. We now dowel all flywheels as a matter of course. We also have props break. I know that they are only about 7" long but they still play up hell with the bottom of the seat. The rules now state that you must have a hoop fitted to catch the prop in case of breakage. Just a simple hoop made of 19mm x 3mm flat does the job nicely. Surely you could use the same thing on a Se7en.

Cheers
Michael

Dale

posted on 12/4/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have put alot of thought into the safety side of prop flywheel issue. Luckily the flywheel is just a bit infront of my feet and the driveshaft tunnel sides are 14 gauge . I know it added probably 7 or 8 lbs but it will take a real beating before anyone gets hurts. I havent decided on final HP as it will depend on finances but It will be no less than 200 and up to 400 if I deside to through some cash at it- not likely- but I have a family that depend on me so its a safety thing.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Fred W B

posted on 12/4/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Recently we had a case here where the flywheel come off a stock car while it was being tuned in the pits "Revmore Motors" style. Flywheel caught a guy who was leaning over the engine in the chest and killed him.......

Fred WB

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 15/4/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment propshaft ouch.jpg
Rescued attachment propshaft ouch.jpg

tks

posted on 17/4/05 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

does me think

over the picture in the book of Ron,

(the new version) where some one build a Bell Housing with holes in it to save weight they came away with it once...

Now i believe...

i also will make some prop securements
also because i have a bigger angle and an "exotic" adapter...

One question,

did came of in the first test rit?? or just after some hours of doing his job..??

because that's the part wich i scary most...not the testrits but once you go to the cinema and it lets you stay there..

TKS

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Scubastu

posted on 22/4/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds potentially painfull, glad I sit a long way forward of all the spinning bits!
Volvorsport

posted on 23/4/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
hmm my flywheel is about 6 inch forward of me feet , but ive never seen one come off on a volvo .

i think my trans tunnel is gonna get a couple extra layers of kevlar .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.