Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: v6 engine
Stuart_B

posted on 25/12/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
v6 engine

hi all, merry christmass.

i am be trying to find out the engine specs of the rover 827 v6 engine, which is a honda engine. but i can not find the weight of the engine and the weight of the gearbox, any idea's?

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

mr henderson

posted on 25/12/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know myself, I expect you will try googling etc, but you might want to bear in mind that the gearbox will normally be a transverse unit, is that what you want?

John

Stuart_B

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
i have tried goggle, but i can not find it, maybe wrong words i am using.

i want a front wheel drive v6 2.7 litre engine to stick in to a front of a mini, which i will be doing shortly, with a bit of luck.

teh plan is get a old mini, repaire it, put a i pice flip front on, maybe a roof chop, make my own front sub frame, chop the bluckhead out make a new one and put a v6 in.

thanks

stuart

clairetoo

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered the Mazda/ford 2.5 used in the Mazda6 / 626 / Ford Probe ? Small , light , tunable and cheap as chips - I payed £100 for the one going into my Fury in the next few days

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

minitici

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don'y know about the old 827 but the later KV6 from the 800 and landrovers seems good.
Wiki
It is used to good efect in Les Mutch's Dax rush (especially when tuned by Tom New )

Video of the Dax

Stuart_B

posted on 25/12/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
no i havent not, are they front wheel drive engines, it is that i throught a rover as it will be the same make, as well the engine is honda, it is good quality.

more info about thoses engines i think i will have a llok.

thanks

stuart

Liam

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using this engine in my car! I originally considered the later Rover KV6 (didn't know about the honda back then). I made some enquiries for info on a rover 800 forum and the response was a unanimous 'use the 2.7 honda cos the KV6 will fall to bits!'.

Great engine by all accounts. I remember weighing mine at about 125kg with no exhaust manifolds, ancilliaries, or flywheel (but did have my steel adaptor plate on) - so pretty light for a V6 with a lazy, torquey 177bhp as standard.

The main pain in the arse is that there is no nice separate loom from engine to ecu like most engines have making installation into another car easy. Instead the ecu is under the driver's seat and the wiring is all merged with the main loom. Would be a horrible job to unpick it all. I have detailed wiring diagrams and was going to wire from scratch. I've since decided to ditch the standard management, rip off the dizzy and other emmissions gubbins etc etc, and go megasquirt 'n edis - much better option imho.

You're other source of info is Phantom (if they're still around). They use this engine in their Phantom GTR kit (which I think is quite nice). They will probably sell you a loom if I recall.

Not sure on gearbox weight - same as any other transverse box I should imagine. LSD is available, but can't remember which models, if any, had as standard.

Hope that helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
I'm using this engine in my car! I originally considered the later Rover KV6 (didn't know about the honda back then). I made some enquiries for info on a rover 800 forum and the response was a unanimous 'use the 2.7 honda cos the KV6 will fall to bits!'.

The KV6 in the 800 was considered a pile of sh!t.

The later KV6 (modified based on 800 experiences) fitted cars such as the 75 etc was considered a much better beast....

[Edited on 25/12/08 by stevebubs]

geoff shep

posted on 26/12/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I had an 825 - same Honda engine (just smaller than the 827) and it was brilliant. Until the headgasket blew!
Stuart_B

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
hi all, thanks for the replys, i might try and get a 825 engine and box as i want a manual, and i do not think that the 827 only comes in auto, so i might just get teh smaller one.

as well is there any cheap way to tune the engines up? to over 200+bhp

thanks

stuart

clairetoo

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo ?

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

britishtrident

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
The Honda 2.5 V6 fitted to the early Rover 825/Sterling/Honda Legend was nothing but trouble --- main problems over heating, low oil pressure and camshaft wear. In addition it had little low and medium speed torque.

The Honda 2.7 V6 fitted to the Rover 827/800 Coupe/Last Tranverse engined version of the Honda Legended was very much improved, but was still a little lacking in torque and performance.

KV6 fiitted to the last Rover V6 engined 800 (also called the 825) was in initially very problematic with head gasket problems but almost all the engines were exchanged and reworked by Rover under extended warranty to much closer to the spec used in the Rover 75 and Freelander and the reworked engines give littlte trouble.

However the Rover 75 V6 is a better bet as it is a more advanced specification.

Manual Gearboxes Rover 800 V6 PG series 5 speed gearbox.
Rover 75 Getrag 5 speed.

Auto Boxes Jatco 800 4 speed 75 5 speed

But why choose a V6 --- V6 engines because of thier layout they are a truely horrible bodge --- dynamically unbalanced and rough, the only reason they are useable at all is because they have additional counter balancing shafts.

Better to use a 4 cylinder Turbo ie the Rover 1.8KT or heavier but more poweful 2.0 T series Turbo or even a good no-turbo like Honda's 2.3 straight 4 Twincam four used in the Rover 623.

[Edited on 26/12/08 by britishtrident]

Liam

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
During my research on the rover 800 forums, the 2.5 seemed to have a much lower reputation than the 2.7. The 2.7 was developed somewhat and the older 2.5 had a number of weaknesses. Definately manual 827s, or a 2.5 box will probably fit (not a 2.5 KV6 box though of course).

I expect my 2.7 to make close to 200bhp on the megasquirt with the dual length inlet butterflies removed. I also plan to twin turbo at a later date. There was actually a factory twin turbo version of this engine in a Japan-only Honda Legend. 280bhp.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/12/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Defo manual boxex available. My Father in law had an 827 vittesse with a manual box. Fast car and very smooth engine IIRC.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Liam

posted on 26/12/08 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Deary me, BT! Expected better from you than that V6-ist nonsense

Sure V6s have a theoretical primary inbalance, but in practice it isn't hard to mitigate. Practically any modern V6 (and the majority do not even have extra balance shafts at all - carefully designed crankshaft with offset journals will do) has a smoother power delivery than a straight 4 - and that's in the technical sense of less torque variation throughout the cycle, not just the 'feel'.

Liam

clairetoo

posted on 26/12/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

But why choose a V6 --- V6 engines because of thier layout they are a truely horrible bodge --- dynamically unbalanced and rough, the only reason they are useable at all is because they have additional counter balancing shafts.

[Edited on 26/12/08 by britishtrident]

Not what I have found............I picked a V6 because of the sound and smoothness , as well as size .

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MikeRJ

posted on 26/12/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Sure V6s have a theoretical primary inbalance, but in practice it isn't hard to mitigate.

It's impossible to mitigate without a balancer shaft.

Liam

posted on 26/12/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
To mitigate doesn't mean to eliminate completey. The point is many V6s, including the one in question, don't require a balancer shaft to give a smoother power delivery than a straight 4. Certainly not a 'truely horrible bodge' only made useable at all by balancer shafts!

Liam

imp paul

posted on 26/12/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner v6 2.5 kv6 engine fits snugg

[Edited on 26/12/08 by imp paul]

DIY Si

posted on 26/12/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Although it's bit heavier, have you thought about the Alfa V6. Available in 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2 litre forms, and 12V and 24V versions. The 2.5 24V which I have is 192 BHP stock, so by the time I've fitted it in, albeit with some "minor" tuning, it should have about 230-240 BHP and an 8,500 red line. Not sure how it compares weight wise to the Honda or KV6, but it is probably heavier. And many of them come with a 6 speed box, which can be fitted with an LSD quite easily. They are not the cheapest of engines to buy though.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

clairetoo

posted on 26/12/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Probe engine from me - here's mine , going into my Fury tomorrow

[img][/img]

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 26/12/08 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
How heavy is it Claire? I really do need to weigh mine at some point.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Stuart_B

posted on 26/12/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
hi all, thanks for the info, on all other options, which i did not even think about.lol

the weight is a big issues as i do not want to have to do so much mods on the front and rear brakes and sussepion it will need massive wheels on it and cost lots of money forthe brakes and lots of money to put new pad's and disc on it.lol
as well that i will need to have massive steel frame to hold it all.

i do not think if i would be able to fit a turbo under a mini bonnet. maybe if i bulge the bonnet?

as well would you be able to make a motorbike gearbox fit to a car engine? and if you could, would ittake the troque of the engine?

thanks

stuart

clairetoo

posted on 26/12/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say this - but I dont think its a good idea to put a V6 into a mini without major mod's to the brakes and suspension - as well as a bit of structural `reinforcement`

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Stuart_B

posted on 26/12/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Sorry to say this - but I dont think its a good idea to put a V6 into a mini without major mod's to the brakes and suspension - as well as a bit of structural `reinforcement`

i am, but i do not want to have to fit 17" plus on the mini to fit the brakes in. see i want to try and make it look like the mini i want (it is in my head, what i want it too look like) as well, i was going to make a realy sturdy front subframe which will tie in to the car, maybe the extra support around the car(bracing) and if i put a rool cage in to that as well.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.