Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Deep Baths
wrigglypig

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Deep Baths

Ok I have told my missus I am going to post this on here coz u can get answers to anything on here, both her and the kids do nothing but take the P*££ out of me being on the forum.
I have been talked into fitting us a new bathroom ( this will earn me lots of garage points) The thing is the bath we have is crap ie its not very deep, I have agreed mto do the work if we can have a deep bath! At 6ft2" and 17st the one we have is like a washing up bowl
The maximumdimensions we can fit in are 1700mm x750mm, So my question is has anyone else had this agrro and do you know of anywhere reputable I can get a deep bath from??

Antnicuk

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Garage points! i like it, made the mirs smile too.

Cant help with the Bath, but one thing to careful of with a deep bath is having a hot water tank big enough to fill the bath.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

YQUSTA

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tell her indoors we rule

Here is your deep bath as requested

DEEP

MikeR

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
and a floor (ceiling) strong enough to take the weight. Remember 1 litre of water = 1kg.
mr_pr

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep my parents had a deep cast iron bath fitted. Floor had to be reinforce and the hot water tank had to be changed.

But then again, having a deep bath is important?

[Edited to say don't go for cast iron, moving it up the stairs was not even close to amusing, it was ?#!%@ heavy.]

[Edited on 2/1/09 by mr_pr]

My Build Progress

wrigglypig

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Keep em comming

wrigglypig

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
We have a new combi boiler so the water isnt an issue. The floor?? I will soon have an 8x4 sheet of 3/4 blockboard spare if I can get the chassis finished he he

GasGasGas

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Look around for "BETTE" baths, they do the dims you specify , made of pressed steel and are generous on the depth, and are a lot lighter than cast iron. If you need the tub length, you gain some by having wall mounted taps, as the baths for these don't have a big ledge to mount the taps on!
Fozzie

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
We put a new suite in the outlaws bathroom in 2007. They had a deep cast iron jobby and yes it was soooooo heavy to get out....

Well they liked what they like (as they do at 90 years plus), so wanted like for like......No cast iron we thought.....so we got them a nice deep steel bath from these people.......

bath linky

You might find something that Mrs wriggly-pig likes!

HTH Fozzie

Good service and great to deal with (October 2007).......

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

wrigglypig

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys there is plenty to look at here, they wont be laughing anymore when I show them these replies

Kev

Fozzie

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
This is the actual bath we got them......
linky

There are some nice taps in the 'tap section' too!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

snapper

posted on 3/1/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Line walls and floor with marine ply and seal for a truly waterproof finish, build a 2 x 2 frame to support the bath and stop that annoying flex that breaks the silicon seal and lets water through, I know cause i had to redo mine twice before i was given this sage advise.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

owelly

posted on 3/1/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
And a handy tip for those folks who've complained about cast iron baths being heavy.........

Empty them first......

I'l get my goat......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/1/09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you're taking a heavy cast iron bath out use a big hammer to reduce it in size, so much fun

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Line walls and floor with marine ply and seal for a truly waterproof finish

ply is not the best thing to use if its being tiled onto. use a tile backer board, or plasterboard with a tanking system to make it fully waterproof.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper build a 2 x 2 frame to support the bath and stop that annoying flex that breaks the silicon seal and lets water through

agree with that, some baths are very flimsy.

just tiled a hotel bathroom that had a nice deep bath in it. it was a Villeroy & Boch bath, nice stuff but very expensive

coozer

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Personally if I was doing the bathroom out again I would get rid of the bath and install a fancy shower.. more enjoyable especially run direct from the combi and cleaner than lying in your own muck

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rf900rush

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Wife wanted a large bath a while back.

She did some google searching.
Direct from the manufacturer.

Then One turned up.
Outside dimension 1700mm x 900mm 440mm deep

The two kids love. It's like a swimming pool to them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
If you're taking a heavy cast iron bath out use a big hammer to reduce it in size, so much fun

Definitely an eye wear protection job, bits of enamel get everywhere!!

Stott

posted on 3/1/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also actually lie in the bath you like first too. Was advised to by the salesman at Bath Centre down the road as the wife was cooing over a Villeroy and Boch egg shaped bath (which was about £3k so a bit pricey anyway), like an evo of a slipper bath, and the guy says, "lie in it, it's shit, can't sell it..." and fair play, it was actual crap!
Bigheppy

posted on 3/1/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also on the large size and after my experience with our new bath you must also consider how wide it is at its narrowest point. After finding a deep bath and installing it it was'nt until I sat in it that I realised how narrow it is. It makes washing some areas quite difficult.
wrigglypig

posted on 3/1/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all the advice

tomprescott

posted on 3/1/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
On american psycho there's a bathroom where the bath appears to be just a tiled hole, I don't see why you couldn't do that to any shape you want, small tiles and maybe a plastic sheet or something underneath for extra safety?
Peteff

posted on 3/1/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Lay one up in carbon fibre, get Triton on the case Custom shapes could be a goer, like the fibreglass ponds at the garden centre. Get one with the taps in the middle, I hate when I get the tap end

[Edited on 3/1/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.