Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Miss lead by website, what should i do?
MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Miss lead by website, what should i do?

Took delivery of these last week:-
http://www.pine-oakfurniture.co.uk/p/1-Drawer-Wardrobe-876/

From the description i was expecting solid wood construction, but when they turned up the main panels and plinths were MDF. The only solid wood stuff was the carcass, back panel and edging of the tops. MDF is better than chip board but from the description i was expecting better. Rereading the advert i can see that they haven't described it as made of totally solid wood, but the part about solid hard wood tops is a complete lie, the edges are, but the main top in MDF with oak veneer.

I can't send them back as i've had to modify them to fit under a sloped ceiling (this is when i found out the tops weren't solid wood). I've just called them and they told me there ordering system was down so couldn't pull my details up but would call me back!

Just a bit miffed as i would have chose an alternative if i had known!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve P

posted on 24/2/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Buying goods - your rights
(for England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
When you buy goods from a trader, you enter into a contract, which is controlled by many laws including, the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002). The law gives you certain statutory rights, including that the goods are of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for their purpose. If things go wrong when you purchase goods, you may be entitled to ask for a full refund, compensation, or a repair or replacement. Any guarantee provided is extra to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/2/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
e-mail them this -

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=107203

say your posting it all over the web forums unless they give you compensation

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
e-mail them this -

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=107203

say your posting it all over the web forums unless they give you compensation

Was going to do this, just wanted to see what they did first

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

tegwin

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I really hate buying stuff and it not being what I expected..

But if it looks as avertised and does as advertised, does it matter what its made of, unless they have purposfully misled you?....

Edit to say... just read the advert and it is a little "misleading"... Your anger s justified.. ignore the above lol

[Edited on 24/2/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely misleading advert and they’re clearly asking a premium price for it too - £500 for an MDF wardrobe

Report them to trading standards –

linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

omega0684

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think that you are in for good news im affraid, if you opened the packaging and realised that the item you bought is not what was on the advert then you can simply return the item for a refund, but since you have modified the item then the manufacturer has every right to say that you have altered the product and it is now deemed useless to them and refuse to give you a refund, unless you could blagg it and say it was damaged when it arrived.
MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I should have never of accepted them, and definetly not cut them about (although i wouldn't have discovered the fale top if i hadn't), but we were desperate for the furniture

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i dont think that you are in for good news im affraid, if you opened the packaging and realised that the item you bought is not what was on the advert then you can simply return the item for a refund, but since you have modified the item then the manufacturer has every right to say that you have altered the product and it is now deemed useless to them and refuse to give you a refund, unless you could blagg it and say it was damaged when it arrived.

It would be an amazing bit of damage, i've put a 140mm 45 deg chamfer between the top and the back panel, then boxed it all in, LOL!!!

Anyways, i've just spoke to them again and they are being pretty helpful (at the moment), they are contacting the manufactures to get the full spec and then seeing if "we can come to an agreement". By the sounds of it the sellers are a bit surprised that the item isn't made to the what they believed the spec to be.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

quinnj3

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have been misled whether or not the company knew about it or not. I would see through it if the wardrobe was only 100 quid or so but at £500 it should be solid. The website looks professional which is sometimes, imho, an idea to the professionalism of the company. You maybe in luck and get a partial refund. I don't think you will get any more than that.

Someone I knew was building a house and had ordered ordinary pine door casings with a solid oak inlay to match the solid oak doors. When the casings were fitted the downstairs ones were ok but the upstairs were laminate. I don't think he did anything about it, which he should have done. They were not as the sale agreement.

Anyway hope it turns out fine in the end.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

DarrenW

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
They probs didnt know themselves. Some people just sell things without worrying about detailed spec.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.