Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade only runs on 3 cyl's
Mark G

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
A big thanks to Andy B for talking me through the Blade carbs earlier this evening. It really helped.

Tonight I took the carbs off expecting to find some crap in no.1 carb, As Andy had explained that they get gunked up after being sat for a while.

I removed the bottom cap off the carbs and needless to say I was more than supprised to find them as I did, Photo below of the 2 jets both completely unscrewed and resting in their respective holes.

So after finding this I decided that I'd better check the others too. Removed all 4 covers and replaced all of the screws as you can see from the photo that they've seen better days. The others were ok.

The jets in the carbs are 115 main jet and the other is 40S. Standard according to the haynes manual.

Refitted the carbs, definately runs better than before. Revs unbelievably easier and sounds better but still not picking up a good spark on no.1. The exhaust was getting hot though.

Decided to swap the ht leads in the coil pack and see what happens and hey presto, no.1 sparks like a good un and no.4 has a weak spark.

So to sum up, misfire on 1 due to an air leak from a missing balance screw, fueling probs due to loose jets and a weak spark from a dicky coil pack.

Just got to get a pack and hopefully she'll run like a dream.

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions, couldn't have done it without ya.

Mark.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Completely off topic for a minute - like the finished car Andrew - that livery looks cracking - seems an eternity ago I was chatting to you about sourcing a motor.
Nice job mate
Andy

Cheers Andy, for the kind comments and for all the help and advice you were always more than happy to give over the phone. It actually HAS been an eternity since I sourced the engine off you! (Due to me being a lazy arse, its taken me five years to complete the build and get her on the road!
Considering I've also used your gearchange mechanism and electric reverse lever, I'm more than happy to email you pics of the car showing them and the engine installed should you want to use them on a gallery on your website?

regards,
Andy.

Back on topic,
glad you seem to be getting to root cause of the problems with the carbs, Mark.

Andy B

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mark
glad to see you are getting there. I think your spark problem will be lead or cap as the coil runs both cyls so if it is dodgy you normally lose 2 cylinders. If you send me your address I will send you a coil and lead with cap
regards
Andy
P.S
Andy our email here is sales@abperformance.co.uk
regards
Andy

[Edited on 11/3/09 by Andy B]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.