Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuse and high level light?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 25/4/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
fuse and high level light?

Have just received my high level LED brake light with no instructions.
Do I just tap the connections into one of the brake lights, or is there more involved like a bigger fuse?
There was mention somewhere about a resistor needed?
Cheers

adithorp

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yes just tap it into the feed to one of the brake lights. As it's LED then the current draw will be tiny so no need the increase the fuse.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mr_pr

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
With regards to the resistor this could be...

The current will take the path offering the least resistance. So if you wire the high level light in parallel to the brake lights in theory this have the effect of dimming the current brake lights? If so, a resistor would prevent this.

Wiring in series is not recommended as it you would lose two lights in the event of one bulb blowing.

[I think my physics is correct!]

My Build Progress

Steve @ sVc

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Resistors are needed for LED indicator lights, unless your flasher relay is designed for the very small current draw of LEDs. Your light will (should) be designed to wire into a 12v circuit, so you will not have to use any resistors. Just take a feed from the brake light circuit and return to a good earth.
LED lights are polarity sensitive, - so if you wire it the wrong way round, you won’t damage the light - it just won't work, so change the wires over.
Any questions, give me a call @ sVc 01827 67714 (we may be a bit rushed next week due to the run-up to the Stoneleigh National Kit Car Show).
Best wishes Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve @ sVc

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Resistors are needed for LED indicator lights, unless your flasher relay is designed for the very small current draw of LEDs. Your light will (should) be designed to wire into a 12v circuit, so you will not have to use any resistors. Just take a feed from the brake light circuit and return to a good earth.
LED lights are polarity sensitive, - so if you wire it the wrong way round, you won’t damage the light - it just won't work, so change the wires over.
Any questions, give me a call @ sVc 01827 67714 (we may be a bit rushed next week due to the run-up to the Stoneleigh National Kit Car Show).
Best wishes Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one, thanks all,
off to wire it now!
Ed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.