Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bloody coppers!!
mad_dogpompey

posted on 2/5/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
yeh thing is on that one if you get a ticket in a thirty you kinda deserve it. if you get a ticket on an open country road for doing 78 mph then you should be pissed of!!!! and i just think they re bringing out all these 20 mph ones because they don t enforce the 30 mph limits at the moment!!! can t get any legal advice through work, they even wanted to nail me for bring the armed forces into disrepute until they realised its classed as a minor offence!!! gonna be a few months before i m back in court! you can even get a sweep stake going on what i get if you want guys lol
mattf

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Does your car insurance have legal cover? If so, maybe that will cover the legal costs?
mr henderson

posted on 4/5/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is a great shame when a thread like this reveals just how much antipathy there is towards the police in this country.

As this is a motoring-related forum it could well be that the results are skewed against the police as it will usually be seen as them that prevents or interferes with what the average driving enthusiast wants to do (which is to drive at whatever speed they feel is appropriate).

My feeling is that it is understandable that sometimes some members of the police get carried away and treat the public with the same sort of attitude as has been shown here that some members of the public treat the police.

As far as the case in question is concerned, the problem that the OP is facing is that those people who weren't there (such as the magistrates) are having to decide whether to believe the OP or two policemen.

If I was on the bench I would go with what the police said, as I would find it difficulat to believe that two policemen would simply make up such a story. So it would seem that unless some positive proof that the OP is innocent can be produced then the conviction will stand.

John

Peteff

posted on 4/5/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
If the police had been walking down the High Street with me on Saturday they would have had a field day. Traffic was at a crawl and out of five cars that went past three of them were on the phone, not even looking like they were scratching their heads or picking their noses. I sympathise with anyone who is wrongfully pulled for it when there is so little being done to discourage it among serial offenders.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mad_dogpompey

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeh, think you should tell that to the brazilian guy on the train! or maybe the guildford four!!! i m wound up because i produced photos to show the magistrates why the police could not see what they stated they could see. across 50 meters of busy round about, when one of them should of had his eyes on the road because their car was joining the round about!!! the problem is police lie, and they do so because they want to convict people they think are guilty!!! which isn t their job!!! they thought i was on a phone they should of said my hand was at the side of my head and not lied! and the other issue here is magistrates! who have no legal training at all! and find it offensive when you show them the police are lying!!! and yeh even with a law degree i kinda messed things up a bit in court. but we ll see what happens in the crown court. i myself now have no respect for the police! if this happened to you i think you would be joining me! all this rubbish from the police about it being 'a hard job!!!!' i ve done 4 tours in afghanistan. been shot at a number of times spat at sworn at rocketed mortered and had one old woman throw poo at me! but the day i decide the job is to hard i ll leave! same as the coppers that moan should! sorry to get anoyed but it is one of those things until it happens to you, you can t really understand!
mr henderson

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey
oh yeh, think you should tell that to the brazilian guy on the train! or maybe the guildford four!!!

Tell what? If you use the quote feature when relpying to a point someone has made, people will know which point you are replying to

Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
If they both said in court that they saw you maybe you should put in a separate complaint that one of them was therefore not watching the road. I'm sure they can't argue that police officers see all things at all times!

I've been driving for a living for years, and even before that I was clocking up a good 8+ hours a day on the road and I don't see what other people are doing in their cars unless they're in front or behind. If the guy's vision is that good maybe he'd be of better use in an apache rather than an astra diesel

mad_dogpompey

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
probably just best to leave it as one of those things. should be back in court in two months. a decent barister will be able to point out the issues with the police officers statements! think this got a bit out of hand was mearly wanting to warn the guys on here that scratching the side of your head has now picked up a bad side effect! i will update you all on the result when it comes up! and in the mean time my insurance has also gone up 50 quid on the bike and 70 on the car!! not so good, so the running total is 1220 pounds! incuding fines legal fees and insurance!!! so stay carefull!
Ninehigh

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Claim for that too then...

Strange thing is half the time I drive home leaning on the window ledge, I could easily be talking away and the police haven't said a thing

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/5/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very similar incident occurred a few years ago with me. I had my phone in a cradle on the dashboard, chatting away to the mrs after a movie on the way home from the cinema, and coppers pulled me over. Said they'd seen me holding the phone to my right ear.

I told them I had been using the phone, but it was in the holder on speakerphone. They called me a liar and said that they were 10 feet away and seen me in clear light. When I went back and measured, it was nearer 35 feet. I compiled my case, got statements from a friend following in the car directly behind me, and my girlfriend. They accused me of walking off and ignoing them when I parked up, but I was still chatting on the phone (still in the holder) when the copper walked up to the window and asked me to get out of the vehicle.

When told what I'd been accused of doing, I told them I had an ear infection & swollen ear canal after returning from holiday 2 days previously, and could give them the doctors note and prescription if they didn't believe me. Then one held a torch over the book whilst the other wrote the ticket. I asked how I could contest the £60 + 3 points, but was told "you can take it to court, but you'll only end up losing and it'll cost you loads more". And that's what sparked me off and made me contest it.

In court, they messed up the dates and apparently found me guilty in absence, then sending me a letter saying my licence had been revoked until I sent it in for updating as I hadn't taken it to court. That was while I was in Devon, so was driving effectively without a licence, and in turn, insurance. Then I went to see a solicitor for some advice.

I requested another court date, which happened months later. I went to the magistrates, and the prosecutor was harassing me into just pleading guilty and not wasting his time. When I put my case forward to the magistrates, they were quite understanding. One of the coppers said he never saw anything and stayed in the vehicle, the other said I was aggressive towards her. Being 6ft 2 and well built, I can see how I might come across as intimidating, but I'm afraid I was nice as pie. They were quite nice overall, and I did admit to using my mobile phone whilst driving, but refuted both officers statements, backed up by my witnesses. My solicitor advised me that there was a 50/50 chance of winning, so in the end I pleaded guilty to a CU80 (driving whilst using a mobile), on the basis that by not connecting my handset to a unit that allowed it to be used hands-free, it was still classed as a handheld mobile device. And with no presedent case to work around, it could be interpreted differently. I got 3 points and £150 costs (£60 fine, £15 for the victims of crime fund, and £75 court costs), but the look on the prosecutors face was priceless.

I lok at it in the fact that I've been pulled twice before in all my years of driving and deserved points but been let off with a warning, so in essence they were overdue. But still, it's not fair to tar all coppers, as I know some that are really good with their job. That and the fact I almost became one!

mrwibble

posted on 27/8/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
i think you have to accept that their will be bad elements in all walks of life. but also that a certain type of person gravitates towards telling others what to do and being a position of power. Best of luck with the appeal.
scootz

posted on 27/8/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Holy thread-revival Batman!

It's Evolution Baby!

mrwibble

posted on 27/8/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
lol oops. dont know how i did that must of been in search i did for screens and assumed it was contemporary.

how did the appeal go then?

[Edited on 27/8/10 by mrwibble]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.