Poll: SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR?? [View Results]
YES
NO

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR??
thunderace

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR??

SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR AT ALL TIMES.
RichardK

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo, always have and always will.

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Thinking about it

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Then you are into the legality of what first aid you can administer to the patient.
coozer

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
NO, because first time you forget it the state police will jump on you and you become a criminal...

Too many rules here already!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

eddie99

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nahh it will increase the weight on my car....
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Flamez

Only if competent to use it.

my build mac1motorsports

Steve G

A first aid kit is only any use if you know what to do with it so unless First Aid training becomes compulsary, then dont see why it should be a legal requirement. More harm than good can be done by people who think they know more than they actually do.
slimtater

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
My job is "medical" but I have voted NO. What should be compulsory is first aid training in schools - basic in primary and more detailed in secondary.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

indykid

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
absolutely not. if you know what to do with it, it probably makes sense to carry one but if you don't understand what you're doing, you could well do more harm than good.

i wouldn't want anyone without any training administering first aid to me just because they have a kit sat in their car.

why would anyone possibly want to make it a legal requirement? what does it gain? a fire extinguisher, i could understand

tom

Andi

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely yes, And a defib on a crash trolley
smart51

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
NO, because first time you forget it the state police will jump on you and you become a criminal...

Agreed

SteveWalker

posted on 10/6/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Agreed

Like the continental rules on carrying reflective vests for drivers (and in some countries, passengers) and if the police pull you over and you get out without putting your vest on first, they fine you - yet it's okay for pedestrians and cyclists to not wear them. It surely would have made far more sense for the pedestrians and cyclists to wear them than the driver who breaks down and is temporarily out of the car and has hazard lights flashing?

will121

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
always a good idea but not as a legal requirement, but more so a fire extinguisher, if you have ever seen a accident with some one stuck in a car concentrates the mind a bit, carrying it not always the need to use it but might also be of someone else more competent to use
thunderace

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
well lets hope all you guys who say no never need one.

Howlor

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Realistically though what are you gonna carry in the first aid kit?

The only possible thing of any use for Joe Public would be a bandage to help stem bleeding but this can be done in other ways anyway. Sticking plasters ain't gonna bob a leg back on after a serious motorcycle crash are they!

An airway tube could be included but who is really going to know the correct way of inserting it? Basic first aid knowledge however, given in schools as suggested is a good idea, good first aid doesn't really need any tools from a first aid box.

Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
We could end up like France - if you have a fire extinguisher, or a first aid kit, but don't use it at an accident then you get taken to court.

There are arguments for and against that approach - but, as said above, we have enough regulations, thank you very much.

gregs

posted on 10/6/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fire extinguisher - absolutely - having lived in germany (where it is law to carry one & a first aid kit) I totally agree, are you likely to save someone's life with a first aid kit? - my guess is no, are you likely to save somebody's life with a fire extinguisher, well in the event of a blaze yes.
Being a legal requirement would save lives and should be part of the MOT (and check it's in date), yes some people would find a way around it, but more fool them and it would ensure there are more extinguishers on the roads....and I have seen this in action on an autobahn blaze - flames suppressed until fire service arrived.. Just my thoughts

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
There are too many laws.

People with common sense will use it, those without won't.

So leave it to peoples common sense.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

twybrow

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
If everyone is trained to use them, then fine, but I have seen people cause more problems than they fix.... If everyone had training, then 100% yes. I always carry one, and I have had plenty of cause to use it too....
rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the rest of the country but taxi's in Cambridge have to carry a first aid kit but if they needed it for a passenger the drivers would take you straight to A&E rather than be sued.
britishtrident

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
No -- but yes I carry one under the passenger seat.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I should add that, despite what I said earlier, I do carry a small first aid kit in my car, and I have been trained as a first-aider in the past. I don't think that I do much more than stop bleeding with the kit, but the other training would probably be valuable - to keep someone alive until the paramedics arrived.

I also still have reflective vests in my car, even though it's a year since I went to France. I've been doing a fair bit of driving on motorways and major dual carriageways in the past 12 months, and I think that they would be useful if anything happened to my car.

JoelP

posted on 10/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
well i have first aid kit and fire extinguisher in the van, but mainly for work.

I once had a car on fire and just stood there staring at it because i had nothing liquid with me - felt a bit useless!

Joe bloggs with a first aid kit isnt going to be any use, except maybe a tourniquet (sp).

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

austin man

posted on 10/6/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think it should be compulsory in a seven and it should includ only the following, plasters bandage and burns cream for that time when skin meets exhaust oh and when sun burns face

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Joe bloggs with a first aid kit isnt going to be any use, except maybe a tourniquet (sp).

You can stop a lot of bleeding by pressing a sterile dressing onto a wound... just about every 1st aid course will teach that a tourniquet is absolutely the last resort, to be avoided absolutely wherever possible - too much risk of permanent damage and/or loss of a limb.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.