Poll: SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR?? [View Results]
YES
NO

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SHOULD IT BE LAW TO CARRY A FIRST AID KIT IN YOUR CAR??
Dusty

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
A grubby hand, a bobble hat or your T shirt is 99% as good as a sterile dressing for stopping bleeding. Combined with a basic knowledge of CPR and you can save lives. Most first aid kits I have seen contain various bandages, antiseptic and a sling. Complete waste of time in any serious emergency.
mediabloke

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
A good idea? Definitely. But by law? Definitely not! We have enough dafter ones already. That, plus it would just turn into another govt. expense-collection tool... [/cynicism]

owelly

posted on 10/6/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a big first aid kit in the main car (Range Rover) but it's mainly for my own familys use. I would attend to someone else if need be but that's not why I carry a kit. Part of my First Aid training included what to use instead of first aid kit, to help in an emergency. I'm confident I could help to save someones life (I've done it in the past) but I'd be wary of some other random punter trying to shove a Bic biro through my wind pipe because I looked a little pale after a crash!
And as for fire extinguishers....I deployed my Powder extinguisher under the bonnet of a burning Jag. It put the fire out and the bloke was very grateful. But not grateful enough to offer to replace £65 worth of fire extinguisher! Next time I'll be there to save lives. The cars can look after themselves!

[Edited on 10/6/09 by owelly]

[Edited on 10/6/09 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 10/6/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I carry quite a large kit in my car complete with sergical knifes and other interesting things...

However!...

If you administer first aid to try and save a life and the person dies..... You may be tried for man slaughter if there is any possibility that the person might have lived without your intervention...

Yes, stem the bleeding/open up airways... but I would do little else until you have dialed 999 and asked for assisance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mad4x4

posted on 11/6/09 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I carry quite a large kit in my car complete with sergical knifes and other interesting things...

However!...

If you administer first aid to try and save a life and the person dies..... You may be tried for man slaughter if there is any possibility that the person might have lived without your intervention...

Yes, stem the bleeding/open up airways... but I would do little else until you have dialed 999 and asked for assisance!

"Open the Air way" you are meaning part of the "Old A of ABC" of Resusitation and not a Tracheotomy. !!!

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

posted on 11/6/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO the most useful first aid item to carry in a car is a mobile phone.

About twenty years ago I came upon a car nose dived into a ditch.
Driver and passenger slumped over the dash, no seat belts, blood everywhere, late at night.

The nearest house was a mile away but the local police station (yes, we had one then)
was two miles away so I went there, woke him up.

What could have been vital minutes were lost. All turned out OK in the end.

Cheers
Paul G

Gergely

posted on 11/6/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. But with proper training. I would make yearly refresher exams compulsory for everyone who drives a car or bike. If they don't pass, they can't drive.
It doesn't have to be extremely difficult mind, but what you do need to know is how you can make matters worse and what you actually can do to save a life...

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Vindi_andy

posted on 11/6/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not by law. And has been stated on numerous occasion should not be used by anyone who is not competent.

I am a qualified first aider at work and I carry one in every car I drive and audit it every couple of months to make sure the stuff is still in date. That said an out of date sterile dressing is better than a greasy Tshirt but a greasy Tshirt is better than nothing.

We had an acronym for remembering the sequence of actions for a first aider and getting a first aid kit isnt actuall in it.

It goes AMEGR pronounced to rhyme with amoeba. Asses, Make Safe Emergency Aid (first aid without a first aid kit), Get help, Report.

A lot of what we were taught on the course was Emergency aid so that if you didnt have access to one you can still help.

I have been in a situation where a guy was knocked off his push bike. I didnt even think I just reacted and went to help and the first aid kit never came out the boot. I knew help was on the way and my biggest concern was keeping him still and calm as he had been hit at a fair clip according to witnesses ( he was hit by a car that didnt stop at a red light as he was crossing) and i was concerned about possible skull and neck injuries. After the initial assesment there appeared to be no obvious external life threatening injuries and I cant do a lot about internal ones just stayed with him talked to him and refused to let him move or take his helmet off.

The emergency services turn up after about 3 minutes but its the first time Id been in a situation like that and after the initial adreneline rush they felt like the longest 3 mins of my life.

Sorry for the long post but i hope it shows the strength of my feelings. First aid kits are useless or worse without some sort of training so you know what to do with it.

[Edited on 11/6/09 by Vindi_andy]

David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
It goes AMEGR pronounced to rhyme with amoeba. Asses, Make Safe Emergency Aid (first aid without a first aid kit), Get help, Report.

I hope that you meant to write assess - otherwise your acronym is a bit worrying...

Vindi_andy

posted on 11/6/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I meant assess

Finger troubl;e today

wilkingj

posted on 11/6/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you give first aid, and get it wrong, you could be liable for adding to their injuries and end up getting sued.

Sad state of affairs but true.

The First Aid training changes so often, you need to be continually updated with new courses to be, and remain competent.

Using a first aid kit on yourself is OK. However on strangers, you could be getting into a liability issue.

As said by others, a Mobile Phone is best, then you can summon professional help, and remain free of the liability issue.

You can also be liable by doing NOTHING, so make sure you do something, and phoning 999 etc is the best you can do.

Its a SAD world we are making for oursleves and our children.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 13/6/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Don't know about the rest of the country but taxi's in Cambridge have to carry a first aid kit but if they needed it for a passenger the drivers would take you straight to A&E rather than be sued.

Warrington taxis have to have them too, along with a sticker saying where it is. When I mentioned to the council man about me not being first aid trained he said the kit was for use on me. The sticker is there so the passenger knows where it is in case I need it. All the kit I had contained plasters, bandages and something to prop up a sprained wrist, and that should be what's needed.

Oh yeah and fire extinguisher too, would be nice if the fire brigade could give you a voucher for a free refill if it was used in an emergency too

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.