Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you remember the moon landings
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Can you remember the moon landings

We didnt have television in South Africa so we listened on the radio. I was six years old
We got to see the footage later on the newsreels at the topstar drive in movie theater.

And I can see the first posts have put up the question did it really happen

[Edited on 20-7-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

2cv

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I remember it but did it really happen or was it a huge con?
cd.thomson

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2cv
Yes I remember it but did it really happen or was it a huge con?

it happened.

Craig

need4speed

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sad to say that Yes I remember it also was 11 at the time.
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I watched a program on Saturday about moon landing fake claimers. For the first time the producers actually went to the extent of recreating the moon landing in the middle of a desert and one buy one smashed every idiotic drivel they had spouted.

Basically it showed just how thick and ignorant these people really are of even basic facts.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had just finished my GCE's and I watched every minute of it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I was minus 17 at the time so i dont remember it too well

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scottc

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
nope I don't remember it

http://www.sotoconnect.com

mookaloid

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I was there - well not actually on the moon but I watched it on the telly - it was real and they definitely went there..

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

coozer

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I remember watching it wishing we had a colour telly, but the footage looks just as our b&w valve set did then

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I watched a program on Saturday about moon landing fake claimers. For the first time the producers actually went to the extent of recreating the moon landing in the middle of a desert and one buy one smashed every idiotic drivel they had spouted.

Basically it showed just how thick and ignorant these people really are of even basic facts.

Easy enough to prove/disprove.
1) Check the figures for levels solar radiation at the time of the 'Moon Landings'. There were a lot of solar flares at the time of the first mission, if memory serves.
2) Find out how much lead shielding is needed to protect humans at these levels.
3) Check how much protection a thin skin of alloy would give ie; a capsule wall.
4) Do the math.
Sorted once and for all.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

smart51

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I had just finished my GCE's and I watched every minute of it.

GCEs? Everyone at my school called them O levels and A levels. I think only Del Trotter called them GCEs

The moon landings were before I was born. It's hard to imagine that anything technical could be achieved before the age of computers yet still they managed to do it. Trains don't generally run faster than in the 60s. Boeing 747s go no faster. Racing cars are no more exciting to watch now. The moon landings were quite a feat though.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that politicians are so untrustworthy and have such a reputation for lies and coverups that the public prefer this opinion to the moon landings being true.

Lightning

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, watched it on tele on Holiday in Cornwall amongst people with 6 fingers and febbed feet or locals as they are known

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Easy enough to prove/disprove.
1) Check the figures for levels solar radiation at the time of the 'Moon Landings'. There were a lot of solar flares at the time of the first mission, if memory serves.
2) Find out how much lead shielding is needed to protect humans at these levels.
3) Check how much protection a thin skin of alloy would give ie; a capsule wall.
4) Do the math.
Sorted once and for all.

Yes that was also completely disproved too and had off course been thought of by NASA. As said on the program they were to turn the service module towards the sun and the fuel in the tanks would absorb the particles. The state of the sun was being constantly monitored and as it takes days for radiation from a flare to arrive at the moon they had plenty of warning.

They also passed through the van allen belts within an hour and even the discoverer of the belts said the idea of dieing from passing through them was ludicrous as there not very radioactive.

I like the way that folk suggest the thousands of scientists and engineers working on the project would be so stupid to miss such simple things.

You say do the maths but can you?

trogdor

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I must admit I was suckered in slightly by the fake moon landings conspiracy. I watched the fox documentary ages ago and thought there was something in it.

However after watching that james may thing on it awhile ago I actually took the time to read the other side as well which the fox documentary funnily enough left out...

After reading both sides to the argument I believe we went to the moon. There are some good sites on the web it makes good reading

Wasn't around for the landings, which is a shame

[Edited on 20/7/09 by trogdor]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
The Beeb showed a photo taken by the latest moon orbiter last week...

Beeb Linky

It showed the base of the lander, and collection of scientific instruments, and a trail of footprints between the two.

Of course, that can be faked... (before anyone else says it!)

[Edited on 20/7/09 by David Jenkins]

jeffw

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Watched on the telly (I was 7 at the time) and yes it happened....

GeoffT

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I was the ripe old age of 20 when it landed - just fuzzy b&w pictures on our old valve telly, but without doubt the most riveting TV in my lifetime.

I too find the conspiracy theories quite ludicrous - even putting aside the overwhelming scientific evidence of it happening, if it was staged, how many hundreds of people would have to have been "in on it" to make that possible - and just one of them wouldn't have spilt the beans by now?? I hardly think so.....

Triton

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hollywood at it's best....Yep I don't believe they ever went

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Wallace and Gromit did though.......

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Hollywood at it's best....Yep I don't believe they ever went

true hollywood special effects were formidable at the time...

phoenix70

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nope I don't, then again I hadn't been born yet so I would'nt (I was -1 btw)

Cheers

Scott

Triton

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I was 4 and way too busy playing to worry about space blokes......but if you were to ask do I believe in spinny roundy things then the answer is YES as I have seen one many years ago as a kid growing up in South Wales..

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
.....but if you were to ask do I believe in spinny roundy things then the answer is YES as I have seen one many years ago as a kid growing up in South Wales..

Hollywood faked that too, car hubcap on string

Dingz

posted on 20/7/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, watched it on TV in guest house near loch Lomond on holiday with gf. We drove up there in my red and white Triumph Herald!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.