Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you remember the moon landings
Benzine

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
China got to the moon 800 years previously using a system of pullies and rope

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
My wife and I dragged a matress down to the living room and watched TV all night .

At least I did - I had to keep nudging her awake during the exciting bits ( of the landing that is )

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I watched a program on Saturday about moon landing fake claimers. For the first time the producers actually went to the extent of recreating the moon landing in the middle of a desert and one buy one smashed every idiotic drivel they had spouted.

Basically it showed just how thick and ignorant these people really are of even basic facts.

Easy enough to prove/disprove.
1) Check the figures for levels solar radiation at the time of the 'Moon Landings'. There were a lot of solar flares at the time of the first mission, if memory serves.
2) Find out how much lead shielding is needed to protect humans at these levels.
3) Check how much protection a thin skin of alloy would give ie; a capsule wall.
4) Do the math.
Sorted once and for all.

Yes that was also completely disproved too and had off course been thought of by NASA. As said on the program they were to turn the service module towards the sun and the fuel in the tanks would absorb the particles. The state of the sun was being constantly monitored and as it takes days for radiation from a flare to arrive at the moon they had plenty of warning.

They also passed through the van allen belts within an hour and even the discoverer of the belts said the idea of dieing from passing through them was ludicrous as there not very radioactive.

I like the way that folk suggest the thousands of scientists and engineers working on the project would be so stupid to miss such simple things.

You say do the maths but can you?

What was completely disproved?

What kind of shielding does a tank of liquid O2/H2 give? Is it better than lead? Will it work on the way back when the tanks are a lot less full?

"They had plenty of warning" to do what?

The Van Allen velts are what protect the earth from radiation from the sun. The danger in going through them, is not the belts themselves but the fact that once outside them, you are unprotected from the full brunt of solar radiation.

You would be suprised what people will 'miss' if told to. This was at the hieght of the cold war and propaganda was king. Remember Sputnic? The yanks spent millions trying to de-code the signals that it sent to Earth, only to find out years later that it was just transmiiting random pulses.

2+2=4, 4+4=8,
Yes, I can do maths.
However, I don't need to, I have access to Health Physics scientists at the nuclear power station down the road.

P.S. Ref:- Hollywood special effects. Anyone seen Capricorn 1 ? The Government had a much bigger budget.

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Macbeast

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
OK, if it was faked, how many thousands of people would have had to be in on it, including non-American staff at various monitoring and control stations around the world - Jodrell Bank, Parkes etc . The Soviets must have been monitoring and there wasn't a breath of scepticism from them although they had had their noses rubbed in it.

And they would have had to run the whole exercise again for all the other Apollo landings.

Are you saying that all the people involved in posession of the "facts" about the fake, all the people who shot the footage, who could have got millions for the story, ALL kept stumm ? I think it would have been a lot easier and safer to actually go to the Moon than fake it.

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/7/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, merely enjoying a debate.

quote:
Macbeast: "I think it would have been a lot easier and safer to actually go to the Moon than fake it."

Now that I would argue with.......

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

jollygreengiant

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. 10 years old. I was woken up for the take off. For the landing and again for the first walk. Never had a fraction of doubt.

In those days we weren't so PC AND H&S was only a dream. People did things because they had to be done and because they could.
The way I see it, now, is that unless we put this stupid H&S attitude behind us and get ourselves up into space then we will never do it because we won't be able to make it 'safe' enough. Going into space IS going to cost lives, however, unless we go, we are never going to fully learn the dangers and learn how to cope with them. Death happens and it is unfortunate, but it is the only way that we as a race learn to cope with the dangers. When we collonised the 'new worlds' in the 1600s,1700s & 1800s we never baulked at the dangers and people died but we progressed and got over it. America wouldn't have the population it does now if we hadn't. Oh and if we don't get into space then we will reach a population level that will be unable to sustain its self and we will either die out through some great natural catastrophe or (more likely) a war that will destroy us as a population in the name of religion, politics, power and money.

Back in the 1980's I remember my dad having a conversation with a chap who worked for the RAE Thurleigh (defense armaments division) about aircraft fired rockets, sighting systems and their accuracy. Basically the 'universty graduate' boffin said that he was working on a sighting system for firing rockets at targets and he could not make one that was 'accurate' enough to allow a pilot to hit a target consistently, therefore, he knew that all this 'news reel foootage' that he had seen of 2nd world war aircraft hitting and blowing up targets with rockets was 'Faked' (similar to the 'enlightened' saying the same about the moon landings).

Oh and my dad, he WAS a Fighter pilot during the war. He survived the Battle of Britain. He was then sent out to help defend Malta (more bombs fell on Malta than on London during the blitz) and then he was brought back to convert to flying the Typhoon as a ground attack weapon firing rockets. The pilots hit the targets by using the best computer EVER invented, their brains.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jacko

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
YES YES YES i was 13 on the day of the landing OOOOO that makes me 53 TODAY
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 20/7/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think the thing that made me believe it was real more than anything else was the fact that the combined apollo missions brought back approx 800kgs of moon rock.

Now this has been looked at by universities the world over who all agree its moon rock, its much older than rocks from the earth for starters etc.

To bring back that much rock from the moon unmanned would require in the region of 4000 missions as the unmanned landers could bring back f**k all.

The radiation was the thing that made me think it was faked but looking at it, it wasn't as bad as all that and astronauts are suffering from radiation related cancers etc

Anyways it must of been amazing to watch!

t.j.

posted on 20/7/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
You old people!

I was not on this planet at that time.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

MautoK

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Remember it well!

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^

And everyone just KNEW what the clangers were saying!

[Edited on 20/7/09 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Yes, watched it on TV in guest house near loch Lomond on holiday with gf. We drove up there in my red and white Triumph Herald!

Liar!!! No way is the Herald's tank big enough to drive to the moon.

02GF74

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
back to one of previous posts - they did have a computer that was less powerful than that found in today's washing machines.

there is an analogy for the return flight path - think of earth as basked ball and moon as tennis ball 14 ft apart - to get the moon landy thing to return, the return path corridor was the thickness of a piece of paper!!

they couldn't have done it without the computer.

..... and it made me wonder, how do you navigate in outer space? you cannot use the earth's magnetic pole and at the time there was no GPS - so how did you do it?

eccsmk

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
nope 13 years before my time
i still believe they did land on the moon tho
maybe im just gullible

Liam

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Nope, merely enjoying a debate.

LOL! There might be some interesting debate if the hoax loonies could come up with some new and compelling claims, rather than regurgitating decades old nonsense that has been literally flogged to death .

You don't need any lead to shield against Van Allen belt radiation (protons and electrons)!

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Why would navigating be an issue. On way up you can see the moon, so you just steer towards it. On way back there is an even bigger blue thing to aim at. Simples.

Fantastic achievement.

Simon

posted on 20/7/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, father woke me up - 3 and a bit years old. First recollection of tv.

Love a conspiracy (and would rank Cap One as one of my fave films) and would be amused if it was true, but convinced they went.

Mythbusters were doing some stuff this evening ruining some of the theories.

ATB

Simon

GrumpyOne

posted on 21/7/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not only did I watch the landing on the old B&W TV but I went to see the Moon Rocks (sounds like a band) in the museum when they took them on tour

I also remember Winston Churchill's funeral, the first colour TV in Edinburgh (Marty's bar and grill in the Haymarket)and the advent of the modern telephone, not bad when you consider I am only 21 now

When you think about it, regardless of whether they landed on the moon or not, and I personally believe they did, space travel is such a fantastic accomplishment. We were still travelling by horse and cart at the turn of the century, 60 odd years later we were travelling in space. Truly amazing.

[Edited on 21/7/09 by GrumpyOne]

[Edited on 21/7/09 by GrumpyOne]

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.