Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: socket sets
daniel mason

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
socket sets

which size of drive and brand of socket set would you guys advise for my first build. already have a full set of spanners/bush spanners but need a socket set. nothing too spectacular and not too expensive, what are the most common sizes of sockets. i foun both bacho and draper 1/4" drive sets on ebay but max socket is 13mm(bacho) and 14mm(draper) are they big enough?
loggyboy

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I bought this Halfords socket set donkeys years ago and its still going strong. Great to use in the cold as its plastic edged handle doesnt turn your hand icy.
I also have the 3/8 rachet which is also going strong.

I would also recommend a set of Hex sockets (ie ones which JUST have a bare hex grip, not a multi tooth grip) these are great for stuborn or slightly rounded nuts.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by loggyboy]

austin man

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
the majority of suspension bolts are 17 or 19mm. or 11/16 and 3/4 a 3/8 drive will do at a push but 1/2 drive is a lot sturdier. Halfords do quite a decent range for the home .

Sealey , Stanley, Hilka also do decent hobby sets

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

gazzarose

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I havn't built a car (yet) but have done general car jobs, and I use a Halfords advanced set. They do a few, I've got the £200 on, but around Xmas they put them to half price so you've just missed it. But they do a few smaller ones. The one I've got has sockets up to I think 32mm as well as Imperial equivlents, as well as 8-19mm spanners, a few ratchet spanners, long reach sockets and 3 different ize ratchets, and some star sockets. Best bet would be to ry your local Halfords and see what you can afford. Also they're Pro and Advanced range have a life time warranty I think although I've never had to take anything back.

Gareth

This is the next one down from mine and its half price now, should be fine for most things,

Link
And some smaller sets are 1/2 price as well

link

If you've already got spanners, the 55 piece set looks good.

I'd also second the above post hat 1/2 is recommended, especially for undoing rusty nuts/bolts on the donor.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by gazzarose]

skodaman

posted on 14/1/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
3/8" and 1/2 drive sockets and 1/2" torque wrench unless you've got bike engine in which case a less crude torque wrench would be in order.
Main thing is avoid the really cheap stuff. I'd rather get good old stuff from a car boot than new cheap stuff.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 14/1/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Halford Professional.

worth the little extra, if they break they change them.

Wait for the half price deals

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

daniel mason

posted on 14/1/10 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for taking time out to help guys.i have ordered a 1/2" set!
Peteff

posted on 15/1/10 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
thanks for taking time out to help guys.i have ordered a 1/2" set!

That's the way to go, they cover 10mm to 32mm usually and that's what you need. Keep an eye out for a bargain on ebay though, I bought a Bahco S87+7 set for £50 including postage and the retail for them is anything up to £280 They are £177 on toolbay.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

designer

posted on 15/1/10 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords Professional are good.

But, this Machine Mart, set gives you enough of everything for a starter kit.

Clarke PRO153 - 27pce 1/4" Drive Socket & Socket Driver Set

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro153-27pce-38-drive-socket-socket-driv/path/socket-sets-sockets-tool-sets

Then, when funds allow, go to a 3/8 set.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 15/1/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Another Vote for Halfords Pro Range tools.
I have the combined 1/4 and 3/8th socket set.

Excellent quality. Lifetime Guarantee.

Word of Warning.... KEEP THE RECIEPT, as they wont honour the guarantee without it.
other than that, excellent.

If you buy a cheap socket set, then when bits wear out, and its usually the 10, 13, 17 sockets and the ratchet. Replace those bits with quality ones. The cheap sockets that dont get used much will last a good while due to lack of use.
This is what I do with my other tools.

ie you end up with good quality tools for everything you use a lot, and still have tools for the odd ocasion you need them.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

TimEllershaw

posted on 15/1/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
some of the Halfords Pro ones are half-price at the moment : £109.99 down to £49.99 : Link
Rod Ends

posted on 15/1/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
The're not really half-price - Halfords just double the price for a few weeks, then reduce them to ...

HALF PRICE!!!!!!

britishtrident

posted on 15/1/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
You need 1/2" drive for stripping suspension.
3/8" is best for engine work on any engine built in the last 15 years.

Give Halfords sockets sets a wide berth especially the pro range flank drive.

If yo want the best buy Kamsa

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daniel mason

posted on 15/1/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
i actually went for a bacho 1/2" set with 10mm - 30mm sockets. i hope they are ok!
Peteff

posted on 16/1/10 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
i actually went for a bacho 1/2" set with 10mm - 30mm sockets. i hope they are ok!

The quality is excellent, you have no worries there. Bahco is a reputable make with a good reputation.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

FazerBob

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
socket sets

I have been making a living out of fixing cars for too many years now (about 45 ish). For everyday use a 3/8 drive is the most versatile. Slim enough to get into awkward places, and strong enough to last.
I also have a Britool 1/2 inch drive set, with sockets from 10 to 33mm. When working on suspensions etc this set is invaluable. I have had the Britool set over 25 years and it's still going strong, and never had to replace a socket, even though I frequently use a long breaker bar with them.
Finally, the socket set I carry most places (on breakdowns etc) and also use most often in the garage, was a present from my two Sons about 15 -20 years ago. It's a Canadian brand called Metrinch. 3/8 drive, good solid ratchet, and specifically designed to fit both Metric and Imperial fixings. It also has a lifetime, written, guarantee. Mine gets used for probably 3 or 4 hours solid every day and so far I have had to replace 3 sockets - when I lost them somewhere.
Sorry - another 'finally' - regardless of which socket set you buy, always have a couple of ratchets. A fine tooth one - usually advertised as 72 tooth (or more). This will be able to move backwards to pick up the next tooth on the ratchet in areas with limited access. A coarse ratchet of about 45 teeth will take more heavy use, at the expense of needing to move more to pick up the next tooth.

Bob

Peteff

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing you will need is a long handled tommy bar with a swivel on the end. I got a cheap extending one from a market 18" to 36" ish. If something is really tight start it off before you try to use the ratchet on it, they are only going to take so much abuse.

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.