Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine
Sprytny

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

There is so much snobbery about whether a vehicle is a motorcycle, car, or scooter. In the end an engine is an engine and the basic principles appy don't they??
cd.thomson

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
great second post , you probably could have thanked the people who helped on your original thread first.

Its not snobbery to wonder why you have come on a locost builders website to ask about a scooter. I wouldnt go on a vespa owners club site and ask about the composite angles needed when building a haynes roadster chassis...

Craig

FFTS

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Steady on Mr Sprytny and Craig does have a valid point. I don't think your doing yourself any favours to have people on here warm to you. Do I detect a defensive attitude or... I'm in danger of smelling a chip

If your building/driving/modifying a kit car then you couldn't have come to a better place. If you need help with a scooter there's nothing wrong with that but there may be more suitable forums where you would get better help.

Good luck.

[Edited on 10/3/10 by FFTS]

Chris.

tomprescott

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
While I don't agree with Craig's expression I totally agree with his sentiment, if you're interested solely in scooters then go to a scooter specific forum. Also, very rude not to thank the people that are trying to help you!
speedyxjs

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
The basic differences are that bike engines tend to have mre power and can rev much higher but have much less torque than car engines. Thats why bec's need to be as light weight as poss.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

omega0684

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
NOTICE TO EVERYONE:

LETS NO TURN THIS INTO A BEC Vs CEC AGAIN.

Mind you im thinking now that i may have just poked a bear with a hot poker, let the debate commence

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 10/3/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

there may be more suitable forums where you would get better help.

I bet there aren't many where you would though - to paraphrase the A team 'If you have a problem and no one else can help....' then someone on here usually can and will! I've never come across another car related forum where you can ask for (and don't get flamed doing it) help on virtually ANY subject and get someone who knows what they're talking about posting a reply. Which is what makes Locostbuilders so good

cd.thomson

posted on 10/3/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
The basic differences are that bike engines tend to have mre power and can rev much higher but have much less torque than car engines. Thats why bec's need to be as light weight as poss.

FYI - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=131547

I don't have a problem with you asking about scooters at all by the way, just the way youve gone about it then thrown your dummy.

Craig

stevec

posted on 10/3/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon its all a wind up.

Steve

tomprescott

posted on 10/3/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

there may be more suitable forums where you would get better help.

I bet there aren't many where you would though - to paraphrase the A team 'If you have a problem and no one else can help....' then someone on here usually can and will! I've never come across another car related forum where you can ask for (and don't get flamed doing it) help on virtually ANY subject and get someone who knows what they're talking about posting a reply. Which is what makes Locostbuilders so good

I'll agree with that, I believe that being able to go wy OT is good, but at the same time the site in general should be based around kitcars, otherwise don't call it locost builders, call it general information forum.....just my opinion of course.

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I don't have a problem with you asking about scooters at all by the way, just the way youve gone about it then thrown your dummy.

I totally agree!

[Edited on 10/3/10 by tomprescott]

twybrow

posted on 10/3/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ok Alex lets start by talking about why you are pumping so much time, effort and money into a boat anchor, when this chap's scooter could out run you!?

Iagree with Mr Beddows - so what, his first post is about a scooter!? Who cares, he might well be into the LCB scene, but that wasn't his pressing concern right now. I thought the benefit of this forum is we don't tend to have too much snobbery, or jobsworth admins....!

FYI - of the 30 posts on the front page right now, 10 of them are nothing to do with Locosts (or even kit cars).

[Edited on 10/3/10 by twybrow]

blakep82

posted on 10/3/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
chill everyone, to be fair, yes there were 2 useful posts in the original thread, but this was outweighed by 3 posts which didn't help the problem. so what if he's asked about a scooter? have you seen the non car chat forum? its full of stuff not even remotely connected to engines of any kind.
besides smart51 is building a car with a scooter engine

i think this thread is another case of hitting new topic by mistake.

anyway mate, did you manage to get the scooter started?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines are magnificent but the rub lies in that they were never designed to be connected to car transmissions and lug a heavier 4 wheeled vehicle about.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

boggle

posted on 10/3/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
what i like about this site is that people like good manners and politeness....and most are bloody clever feckers......treat as you wish to be treated....

if you want snobbery ask a caterham owner what engine he has.....

cheers

barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

02GF74

posted on 10/3/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
There is so much snobbery about whether a vehicle is a motorcycle, car, or scooter. In the end an engine is an engine and the basic principles appy don't they??

Sorry but you are wrong. Most scooters, I cannot say all since have no interest in them watsover, have a 2 stroke engines.

Cars, like we build one here and motorcycles, from which engines are taken and fitted to our cars, well not mine but you get my drift, are 4 stroke petrol engines.

Not the same basic principles at all. Yes they burn fuel and make a brrr brrrr noise but then the similarity ends.

I do not think there anywhere as much 2 stroke engine knowledge as there is for 4 stroke engines.

If the engine does not start, then it will be either an igniton or fuel poblem.

TBH you would be better asking this on a scooter forum.

mcerd1

posted on 10/3/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle

nooooo.... not that again

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Ok Alex lets start by talking about why you are pumping so much time, effort and money into a boat anchor, when this chap's scooter could out run you!?

cause Pinto's rule

[Edited on 10/3/10 by mcerd1]

-

boggle

posted on 10/3/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by boggle

nooooo.... not that again

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

cause Pinto's rule

[Edited on 10/3/10 by mcerd1]

pintos rule

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

D Beddows

posted on 10/3/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry but you are wrong. Most scooters, I cannot say all since have no interest in them watsover, have a 2 stroke engines.

as I recall it was a 4 stroke 125 scooter....... what has happened to this place recently, I can see nothing wrong with what Sprytny asked either in his first post or this one, there IS engine snobbery on here whether you choose to admit it or not and not just BEC vs CEC but BHP related as well. If some of you know Sprytny and have other information which is causing you to act like knobs fair enough but otherwise what IS your problem????

tomprescott

posted on 10/3/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have absolutely no problem with people asking for help on any multitude of subjects, so long as they are curteous.
Asking for help in one post and then starting another to criticise the comments some people have left before thanking the people that helped in the first one just seems plain rude to me!

Having seen the OP's latest post this is now case closed as far as I'm concerned. Forgiven and forgotten.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 10/3/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
4 stroke I think, yes Mr B

Meanwhile, I've got this fantastic little gem of a 1999 reg, 2 stroke Suzuki AY50 scooter. 50CC that is - i.e. moped to you.

I have a question about it, hope someone can help

See my separate post...

Dave

Sprytny

posted on 15/3/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

anyway mate, did you manage to get the scooter started?

Yes. It is more an issue that occurs when the engine is left for more than circa 2 days. Otherwise it is fine; that is the mystery.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.