Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car recommendations needed
Jasper

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Car recommendations needed

I've got to find a car for my sister. She's a landscape gardener, so needs something practical but good for long journeys too.

She's currently got a Peugeot Partner, which is fine for work but crap for distances. She needs an estate car to fit plants and gear in the back. Four wheel drive would also be useful as she does drive a fair bit off road down steep private lanes around Bath.

Budget is up to £3-4k, current contenders are:

Volvo XC70 (Cross Country)
Subaru Forester
Audi Allroad (mostly over her budget)

Any thought about these cars, or any other options I should look at?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

sdh2903

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
passat 4 motion estate? Proper audi quattro system not the haldex stuff too.

somethin like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-Volkswagen-Passat-Estate-V6-193PS-4motion-Black_W0QQitemZ230453763156QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item35a81d 5c54

adithorp

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Of those three I'd say Forester.

I've got a renault Megane RX4, 4x4 I want rid of. Bit easier for loading than an estate with it's extra height and the rear seats remove. Fine on the motorway. I got it in Jan' and there's nothing wrong with it apart from a few small scratches, etc, but just can't get on with it.
On Y plate. I'm looking for £2100 for.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Jasper

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - but I wouldn't buy a French car if it was the last car on the planet!

The VW looks nice, probably too smart for a gardener though .....

stevebubs

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Forrester every time.
tomblyth

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT FRENCH CARS! PEUGOET ETC SEAM TO RUST LESS THEN THE FORD TYPE COMPETITION! ANYWAY I'D GO FOR 407 ESTATE (PETROL AND FIT AN LPG KIT 55p/l AND GOOD PERFORMANCE.
Jasper

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Forester is what I thought too, there's a nice one near me, 10 years old, but only one owner and 54k on the clock with FSH - that'll do....

eddie99

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought forester as well out of your list!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
boggle

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
forrester....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jasper

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomblyth
HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT FRENCH CARS! PEUGOET ETC SEAM TO RUST LESS THEN THE FORD TYPE COMPETITION! ANYWAY I'D GO FOR 407 ESTATE (PETROL AND FIT AN LPG KIT 55p/l AND GOOD PERFORMANCE.

No need to shout!!

No really, I would never have another French car, over complicated and totally unreliable electrics. My aunt-in-law has just bought a new Peugeot with the folding electric roof, nothing but trouble with the electric from when she bought it, and now she's been told my the dealer that they don't really like town driving, they like long distance driving .... go figure .... and I had one of the new Espaces, went in three times in 8 months for various electrical problems then the turbo blew up the engine ...... never again ....

phelpsa

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
TBH they only way to choose between that list is to get out there any try them! They all have their equal advantages and disadvantages really.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say Disco.
Definately not a Forrester. They are either dog slow and heavy on fuel, or really quick and heavier on fuel......
I'm not impressed with my Ma's Berlingo. It eats road springs and always has some sort of electrical fault!

I'd say aim for some sort of Audi Quattro. Good enough to get off muddy fields and cheap enough depending on the model.

Or a Disco......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
get her a seven with a trailer

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

RK

posted on 25/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru = poor fuel efficiency

And no, wouldn't want one of those French cars. They are nowhere near as good as all those English ones, well known around the world for mechanical reliability, especially those new Mini's, one of which, my wife has. Upon return from an out of town trip, she found her car in the airport lot, with the windows down, sunroof open, and her seats invisible due to heavy snow fall! Not really a good choice.

Jasper

posted on 25/3/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find the Mini is a German car. If we're gonna start classifying cars by where they're made, not the home country of the company that made them, things are going to get very complicated.

And I'm certainly not defending British car making - I've got a classic Mini, you don't need to tell me just how totally crap our car making was, we certainly don't deserve to have any car industry left with the total rubbish we turned out for decades.

Just as an example my Mini is just 10 years old with 60k on the clock, and it's had 3 body panels replaced due to rust and the gearbox was totally knackered. And who thought it was a good idea to use three different thread types, UNF, UNC and metric just on the engine block!!

German or Japanese for me everytime.

Agriv8

posted on 25/3/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
if you took out the 4wheel drive I would say

VW passat ( on my 2nd )
but a long shot
VW / ford /seat Sharan/ Galaxy / Alhambra and take the back row of seats out

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
A lot Subaru's running around on diy fitted LPG conversions --- it seems to work well on them.

Peugeot are less French than other French cars when they ran the old Rootes/Chrysler plants they absorbed a lot of good old fashioned common sense, however Peugeots have a bad habit of wearing out the rear suspension pivot bearings in a expensive way --- reconditioned rear assemblies are available but they are still relatively expensive and take a fair amount of manhours to swap over.

The Volvo XC70 Cross Country I have no experience of but I have never heard of any reliability issues.

I would suggest a Rover 75 Diesel Estate but I suspect the ground clearance issue would not make it suitable, likewise a Mondeo Estate.

Major warnings not to touch a Ford Ranger or the its Mazda clone these should carry a warning sign danger money pit. Likewise anything with a Renault/Nissan DCi engine especially give the Nissan Navarra a very wide berth.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

phelpsa

posted on 25/3/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I'd say Disco.
Definately not a Forrester. They are either dog slow and heavy on fuel, or really quick and heavier on fuel......
I'm not impressed with my Ma's Berlingo. It eats road springs and always has some sort of electrical fault!

I'd say aim for some sort of Audi Quattro. Good enough to get off muddy fields and cheap enough depending on the model.

Or a Disco......

Complain about the subaru's fuel intake and lack of performance, then suggest a Disco? As in land rover discovery?

Our TD5 disco drinks about the same as my mums Impreza STi on standard runs!

[Edited on 25-3-10 by phelpsa]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 25/3/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Mitsubishi LWB Pajero 4x4 (import version of Shogun) ?
Jap reliability, supremely comfortable with all the toys, cavernous boot and just as capable (if not more so) than the disco off road without any of the rust issues etc!
I've got one and love it!
£3 - 4k would get you a real beaut with good example older models ('93 - '96) going for around £1.5 - £2k

skinned knuckles

posted on 25/3/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
forrester

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Danozeman

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Passat 4 motion if she doesnt mind a petrol. Theres are some 2.5 tdi syncros about but not many.

Audi allroads are good too.

406 hdi estates are good and cheap for what they are. Good cars and shed loads of room in the back. Just get a 110 hdi not a 90.
Forrester will cost her money in the long run.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RK

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad you mentioned that bit about the different bolt standard in the classic mini: makes my car seen right at home in Blighty, should it ever end up there! I was going to try to keep it all metric, but gave up because it was too hard to find the bolts. It's a real mish mash over here.

BTW, all cars have their good and bad points in my experience, but you can't beat the Audi for reliability. The A2 looks nice and not a lot of dough - probably equivalent to the Subaru but better on fuel mileage. And I've crashed an A4 and was told normally people in those kinds of accidents don't survive, and here I am, with slightly less brain cells. I bought another one shortly after.

morcus

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are you suggest ing an A2? or just pointing out that you like the looks? Just curious because it doesn't fit the bill and my mates mum had one and said it was rubbish.
Have you considered a Skoda? I'm sure you can get an octavia 4x4 estate though its not the biggest estate in the world.
If you can do without the 4x4 you couldn't got to wrong with a vectra or mondeo estate.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Liam

posted on 25/3/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I'd say aim for some sort of Audi Quattro... ...cheap enough depending on the model.

Especially the ones with VW badges

Jasper - since you said car rather than truck, I'd suggest the Legacy Outback rather than the Forrester. At least it retains some decency in the looks department and is probably a bit better on fuel on account of presenting a less brick-like shape to the air.

"Subaru's heavy on fuel - get a Disco" Lol

iDENTITi

posted on 25/3/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Jeep cherokee diesel would fit.. Drinks fuel but you can run it on straight veg oil without any complaints (one of my friends does all year round..)
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.