Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car recommendations needed
skodaman

posted on 25/3/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol Mondeo estates are great all round cars. Cheap parts, not bad on fuel, handle great. The bumpers are made of chocolate and they don't have great off-road capabilities but you can't have everything.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
How about a Mitsubishi LWB Pajero 4x4 (import version of Shogun) ?
Jap reliability, supremely comfortable with all the toys, cavernous boot and just as capable (if not more so) than the disco off road without any of the rust issues etc!
I've got one and love it!
£3 - 4k would get you a real beaut with good example older models ('93 - '96) going for around £1.5 - £2k

I'll second this one.

I bought one, a uk one, non-import, 1996 model with full superselect 4wd (does everything you could imagine, difflocks everywhere!) for just over £1000.

Only thing to watch is that the 2.8 turbo diesel engine is bulletproof, they never break, but the "DiD" engines that took over in around 1999 are prone to problems, which makes then last of the "old" 2.8 diesels quite sought after.

I will be getting another one of these for my next car, I love it!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Simon

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but what an image problem. Most of them round here belong to people who live in caravans and work in fairgrounds

My Espace has been fine so far (3 years olf this Oct). Wouldn't touch german myself - for the same reason that others on here won't touch british - it's seriously overrated/priced. I had a K100 it was 5 years old and had had it. I had two beetles, both of which had rusted away. My father has had BMW/Merc, and I think they're horrible to drive/sit in.

I've had numerous Rovers from old Minis, SD1's, 827 vitesse, BRM 200 and finally my ZT260 and not one of them let me down. Strangely enough it's the BMW bits that let the ZT down, so stick that in your pipe etc.

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
lol re. the mitsubishi and fairground folk, can't disagree there!!

I did actually factor that in when I bought mine, figured that if they can't break em then they are pretty much unbreakable!!

I mean, stealing caravans, ramming police cars and forcing your way onto illegal sites is a good test for any 4x4

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Jasper

posted on 26/3/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps chaps for all your input, she's decided to keep the Partner for dirty work jobs, and now just wants an estate for dogs and family, so a Volvo V70 it is ....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.