Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: large garage - worth the expense?
antimony

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
large garage - worth the expense?

Hi folks
I'm trying to persuade the Missus of the potential benefit of a four bay garage.
At the moment I have a single garage for the Striker and both our hard tops are on the drive. We have enough space for a 4 bay garage. I'm thinking of the oak frame, wood clad garage / car port, with 2 open car ports, 1 closed garage, one workshop and and a woodstore lean-to.
It could cost 25 - 30K if I keep the costs down. It would mean re-mortgaging to realise the capital but hopefully there would be a commensurate increase in the value of the house.
So is it worth it?
How much of a price would you put on a good garage / workshop?
Will it increase the value of the house?
Whadyathink......................................

PSpirine

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I fear the responses on here might be biased.

Not sure how much a garage of that size would add in terms of property value, but I imagine it'll be substantial.

Either way, if you can afford it and have got the space, definitely do it!

StevieB

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
It's always nice to have the space to swing a cat in.

But, I'm not sure such a vast increase in garaging would add an equal increase in the value of your property. This of course deoends very much on your property in the first place though.

clairetoo

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Warning - biased opinion coming
Go for it ! You cant have too much garage/workshop space - I do my car stuff in a 7' wide self-built lean-to

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

iank

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.

I dream of having that much space. Doubt you'd add £30k to the value of the house BUT would make it much more attractive to most buyers unless you are making your garden into a postage stamp.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sneeky feeling that most people won't pay that much extra for a quadruple garage but I'd still do it Depends how long you're going to live there for....
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
ask an estate agent. Around here a 4-bay garage (if in proportion to the house) would add much more than that cost.

I suspect we all think that all estate agents are scum, but they do know some stuff (our chap was actually very decent). So if you start the question, "I am thinking of selling my house in the next couple of years, do you think adding garage....."

Matt

antimony

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, this is going to cost more than 10% of the value of the house and Mrs Antimony desperately wants a new kitchen.
blakep82

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
as for whether it'll increase the value, think about who'll be buying the house. will they find a huge garage workshop type building unsightly? most likely, especially if they only have one car, and have no interest in cars other than using one to get to work and get the shopping

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

antimony

posted on 26/6/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea Matt, I'll go and ask an estate agent - even though the are considered scum of the earth.
big-vee-twin

posted on 26/6/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at moving at the moment, size of garage is one of the main factors we consider amonst others - love my big garage almost live in it, fully heated!

However, I think its one of those things that make a house more sellable like a new kitchen but doesnt add that much value, I would imagine you would see your money back but not much more - but what do I know.

I agree consult an agent although the two agents we had value our house - there was £50k between their prices

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

NigeEss

posted on 26/6/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
as for whether it'll increase the value, think about who'll be buying the house. will they find a huge garage workshop type building unsightly? most likely, especially if they only have one car, and have no interest in cars other than using one to get to work and get the shopping

A lot of people convert garages to extra rooms so this could be seen as a huge selling point.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bj928

posted on 26/6/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
i put a 4 bay garage on my last place before i sold it, didn't cost anywhere near that sort of money, think in total it cost maybe 3k, including the reinforced concrete floor, it was wood frame with shiplap, got a pro to do the roof although it was only a slopping roof, not a full on pitched one, if you do it yourself it should be reletively cheap, if your getting a builder in thats why its costing 25k+
norfolkluego

posted on 27/6/10 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
25-30K does sound a lot for a timber garage, even one of that size, would be a great selling point but (and it's a big but) don't thing it would add anything like that to the value, most potential buyers don't NEED something that big so won't pay for it, they may like it but they won't need it, big difference. Just my opinion, there again if you're building it for yourself rather than an investment go for it, if you hang around for a few years property prices will probably go up enough to get the cost back anyway and you've still got a great selling point.
v8kid

posted on 27/6/10 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
I finished something similar last summer and it is definitely worth it. The difference it makes to our comfort is astounding.

We added a 2+ bay carport on to bridge the existing garage and the house using a 12" green oak frame made from local trees. Rear and side walls are block cavity roughcast with lime cement per local planning and pitched roof is slate. Floor is A4 reinforced concrete laid to a slight fall. Total cost using a building contractor was £18k including shifting the existing boiler, boiler house, oil tank and a v large 100 year old tree!! Just coming home when it is bucketing and being able to unload the car in the dry is a boon. Next job is to knock a doorway directly between the carport and the kitchen which is why you should do the carport before the kitchen!.

I built the 6mx8m garage 10 years ago with cavity walls and pitched slate roof complete with underfloor heating coupled to the house boiler and it is a godsend. IIRC it cost me £3k then plus a few weeks of my precious time.

The only problem is I don't have a "dirty" area. For example I am building a gearbox at the moment and the place has to be spotless. Finding I need to machine/fabricate some parts to modify the box is a pain as I have to cover the benches and vac afterwards. If i was doing it again I would have a separate machine/welding area.

One thing to remember is lay plenty of ducts!! I ducted the garage to the house for the underfloor heating and electricity/phone etc but did not include drainage - a situation I remedied with the carport. Makes a significant difference when you come to sell as it is "conversion ready"

I have built a few houses in my time and green oak is not for the faint hearted. I backed up this green oak frame with 8" rsj's - no structural issues when selling then. Only costs a couple of hundred when building but can save thousands being held back from a sale price. Also get a structural design done - same argument remember you have a seriously big opening to a big area of roof and it will be windy for sure!

Cheers

David

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
expatkiwi

posted on 27/6/10 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
There is a place in Kent where I got mine from(its 26ft sq) timber framed.All I did was the concrete base.thats my day job anyway so it was a peice of pee. They erected it in about 5 hours as it comes it kit form and did a deal on cash. I think 4 years ago it was 3k all in. Then its up to you for wiring/plumbing. Mine takes 2 cars comfortably. As for an investment. Hell yes. both finacially and for just quality of work on the car. We had estate agent around recently and without the garage he said we would be valued at 15k less than now. woop woop

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

bmseven

posted on 27/6/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I do some work for these guys they are not cheap but they are beautiful Oak Frame Buildings
morcus

posted on 27/6/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I would think a four car garage wouldn't add as much proportionally because the average householder doesn't have four cars and you then have a massive space you'd only use if you converted and as with all things it would depend on the size and type of house and your area and all the other esoteric estate agent stuff. If investment comes a distant second to enjoyment of the thing, then do it, but don't try and tell your self its an investment first. I don't own a house, but I really don't get why some people seemed to be so obsessed with house values and the house as an investment that they completely lack self expression in their houses and see it as an investment first.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

HappyFather

posted on 27/6/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antimony
... It would mean re-mortgaging to realise the capital but ...

Sorry to go against the crowd but... If you need re-mortgaging, don't do it now. Wait for the next economical upturn and for bank interest rates/spreads to go down and do it by then. By seeing other's comments, try to get it done cheaper too.

Additionally, if the wife really wants a new kitchen, she can argue that enhances quality of life to both of you, the garage will be just to yourself. Every time after-garage you want to spend more on some kit parts, she will nag you because it should be "her turn". Might be buying a war...

Just my 2 cents...
HappyFather

ruudbeckers

posted on 27/6/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
If I had the place for such a garage I would start building it today. The only concern I would have is if I could afford it, not if I could get my investment back. If you buy a brand new car, you also not going to wonder if you get your money back.
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/6/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'll follow on and say that you do need to consider how it will affect the house value IF you are considering selling in the short/medium term. If in the short term, don't do it.
Now, as to cost, I would be inclined to do your homework. For 30K and a bit of effort (ie find a bricky/chippy and project manage it yourself) you could probably build a brick garage....I suspect the cheaper ones will be ideal and only cost a max of 10k all in, probably less.
And consider how much 30k will actually cost you over the mortgage lifetime

Stott

posted on 27/6/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
My brother in law is an estate agent and he's mentioned before that houses in my estate (2 bed semis) are 3K more if they have a garage.

So about £130k with and £127k without, just to give you an idea of which end of the market that is at.

HTH
Stott

thunderace

posted on 27/6/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
So is it worth it? no
How much of a price would you put on a good garage / workshop? if you buy a kit one from ebay you can remove it easy and it will cost around £5000 ,lets be honest who would want a 4 bay garage ,not a lot of people would.
Will it increase the value of the house? no it wont most people will let there mrs pic the house.and wont be willing to cash out for garages they wont need.
also remorgaging is crazzy to get a garage you will pay lods more then 30k for somthing that will be worh around 10k max when you sell
buy somthing like this from ebay

Item number: 190407363851

Item number: 180523436698

loggyboy

posted on 27/6/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Build it in brick with a cavity wall so that it has distinct and obvious potential to become a granny annex. This is not only a good selling point but a possible rentable investment to any future owner/buyer.

[Edited on 27/6/10 by loggyboy]

drhunter

posted on 27/6/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Build it in brick with a cavity wall so that it has distinct and obvious potential to become a granny annex. This is not only a good selling point but a possible rentable investment to any future owner/buyer.

[Edited on 27/6/10 by loggyboy]

I agree! If I was in the same position that's what I'd do. Most people won't need space for four cars (although when both myself and my brother finished uni and were living at home there were 6 cars and two motorbikes fighting for space)

I'd build the garage with space for my cars, but plan it so that the two spaces closest to the house could be easily converted into living space. That way, if/when you sell the future owner can easily have a bigger kitchen, granny flat, kids playroom etc.

On the flipside, if you plan to live there for the rest of your life then you don't need to care about the next owners

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.