Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: large garage - worth the expense?
02GF74

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
quote:
Originally posted by antimony
... It would mean re-mortgaging to realise the capital but ...

Sorry to go against the crowd but... If you need re-mortgaging, don't do it now. Wait for the next economical upturn and for bank interest rates/spreads to go down and do it by then. r

eh? Am I missing something? Thge interest rates are the lowest they have been ever? They will go up so if you do go ahead, get a fixed rate term as for sure they will rise.

As for doing it to increase value of property, it will be not as much as you'd like.

I have a single width long garage that can house 3 cars, a workshop but when estate agent came to value, he said peeps would do away with the garage and convert it to living space.

Advantages of garages is the insurance will be a bit less plus you don't spend ages scraping ice of the windows.

morcus

posted on 28/6/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
You won't have to clean the car as much either
Most dirt seems to accumulate whilst the car is stopped.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

dhutch

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
i put a 4 bay garage on my last place before i sold it, didn't cost anywhere near that sort of money, think in total it cost maybe 3k, including the reinforced concrete floor, it was wood frame with shiplap, got a pro to do the roof although it was only a slopping roof, not a full on pitched one, if you do it yourself it should be reletively cheap, if your getting a builder in thats why its costing 25k+

How long ago was this?

Presumably not oak, but to be honest i would have thought a tanalised softwood would be just as suitable and long lasting.
Hopefully shortly I will have a property of my own (SHOCK 'ORRA) and a garage is about first on the list assuming I buy without.

Daniel

DavidW

posted on 14/2/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've recently had a large double garage from these people which I'm very happy with.

Regency Timber Buildings

I suspect what you're looking at could cost about half what you thinking.

David

skodaman

posted on 14/2/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Tell the missus that as you spend a lot more time in the garage than in the kitchen it's a lot more important. Also tell her to think of how many fridges/freezers/bicycles and in my case three-piece suites and cofee tables she could keep in a four-car garage. In your position I'd go for it with the proviso as already said by others make it in brick with cavity walls. I'm sure it could be done for much less that 25 grand as well.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 14/2/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my tuppence worth as I'm pondering the exact same question myself.
I have an 'oversize' single garage built onto the house but it was always my plan to build a workshop in the garden and a new garage in the yard. The garden is massive so I'm not making the garden much smaller if I build a 15'x25' workshop. If I had to compromise on the garden for a workshop, I wouldn't be able to justify it. One reason for buying the house was the big garden for the kids.
The new garage can go in the front yard which currently has parking space for about 8 cars. I can use this space (and a bit of the rockery) to build a nice garage. To build one in brick to match the house will be £10k for a 4m x 5m or £15k for the preferred 5m x 7m. I've bought this house to keep for a long time so building a big garage and workshop is a good thing for me but, and it's a big but (oo-er missus), the house is a three bedroomed, detached with scope to extend upwards and outwards should the need arise. If it was just a normal three bedder which I wasn't planning on keeping, then I wouldn't invest too much in extra garage space as most folks use the garage for storing the chest freezer, old pedal bikes and tins of hard paint.
So, does your house support the big garage area? What about the planning aspect? I'll be jumping through hoops to get permission to build anything here. Long term plans? Is the house a keeper or would you be better to buy something that you could take with you if you move.
Either way, ponder a lot and choose wisely!

[Edited on 14/2/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.