Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford 2.5 or Jag 3.0?
Howlor

posted on 10/1/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 2.5 or Jag 3.0?

Morning All,

I am currently looking at a RWD project that I want a V6 in. I am looking for about 250hp when finished and I want it be responsive.

I am tempted to go down the route of the Jag 3L variant rather than the Ford 2.5, what do other people think? I would be looking to ditch the induction side and replace with TB's and Megasquirt.

Are there any good websites for these engines? Tuning parts etc?

Thanks,
Steve

MikeRJ

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely go for the larger engine, it won't be cheap to get 250 bhp from the 2.5L Duratec.
ashg

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
fit an alfa 3.0 v6 they can make 250bhp easily

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Howlor

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ash, what needs to be done to the Alfa engine to make that kind of power?

As long as I can bolt it up to a RWD configuration then I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Steve

RazMan

posted on 10/1/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Ford Duratec V6 is available in 2.5 & 3.0 versions and either one will give you over 200bhp with simple mods. If you ditch the standard ecu, stick on a decent exhaust (getting rid of the cats) and a reasonable air filter even the smaller ST200 engine will give closer to 220bhp. They are not easy to tune any further however, which is why I have developed some ITBs which should push a little closer towards your 250bhp.
Parts are getting much cheaper and plentiful and you can often find complete engines for a few hundred including gearbox, although the ST220 version is still quite rare.

They are ideal for a Middy, being very light (for a V6) with bags of torque and a nice sound too

[Edited on 10-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 10/1/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Straight 6, not a v6, but how about an E36 328? Very cheap, lightweight alloy block, tunable to about 250 bhp with remap / induction / cams. I've got one in mine (untuned at the moment, so around 200 bhp) and it's pretty nippy already. Plus it makes an awesome noise.
interestedparty

posted on 10/1/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The Jaguar gets 240bhp in the standard installation, and if you get the S type variation then it is already longitudinal RWD, and has a 5 speed gearbox. Can't think why anyone would even look at the Ford version.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

pdm

posted on 10/1/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
^ I agree 240 bhp and all set up with RWD gearbox and correct sump. - although the only thing with the gears is they seem quite long so getting a whole s-type drivetrain might be a good idea as the diff is a 4. something with the manual I think.....
MikeRJ

posted on 10/1/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
The Jaguar gets 240bhp in the standard installation, and if you get the S type variation then it is already longitudinal RWD, and has a 5 speed gearbox. Can't think why anyone would even look at the Ford version.

Exactly. The Ford powertrain would be useful in a transverse application i.e. middy, but it seems daft going to the lengths of adapting it to RWD when a solution exists.

johnH20

posted on 11/1/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember rightly the Jag version runs VCT which might be beyond the capabilities of Megasquirt if that is your intention.
Don't know much about Megasquirt so just a heads up.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/1/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have to be a V6? Jag V8's are same price if not cheaper than the V6's. Only down side would be finding a manual box if thats what your after.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.