Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dominator Headlights in an MOT?
Kriss

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Dominator Headlights in an MOT?

I hvae 4 inch Dominator headlights.

Can anyone shed any light (ha ha) on if these should pass an MOT? Mounted in the usual place on an MK chassis.

Cheers

pgtips

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
I hvae 4 inch Dominator headlights.

Can anyone shed any light (ha ha) on if these should pass an MOT? Mounted in the usual place on an MK chassis.

Cheers

Cant see nay problems as long as the beam immage is correct on the MOT stations headlamp aim tool.
Are they adjustable?

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

SeaBass

posted on 17/5/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've not had a problem, but I believe as they are motorcycle derived I think there was a question as to whether they have the correct dip pattern.

A determined MoT tester could pick up on this as a failure point.

40inches

posted on 17/5/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dominators (flat dip beam)are now ok for IVA, so I would say they are for MOT.

Hugh_

posted on 13/2/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just for information mine has just failed its MOT on headland beam pattern with Dominator headlights, bastards, it's passed the last 2 fine...

Heres the thread with the modification for the headlights http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=90113

loggyboy

posted on 13/2/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
They should pass the american or american/british catagory - http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm
russbost

posted on 13/2/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a better description of the required mods on my website,

Here

You need to scroll down past all the brakeline info & you'll find a section on Dominator headlamps, they are definitely UK legal, the problem is that sometimes due to a build up of manufacturing tolerances (remember these are a cheap Chinese light, not a pair of £200 Cibies!) the beam does in fact kickup slightly to the right - this is where testers, both IVA & MoT get the idea they are a continental only light dipping the wrong way, rectification is dead simple & takes around 10 - 15 mins per lamp (providing you don't fire the little springs round the garage, in which case it's a 3 hour nightmare!!! )

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hugh_

posted on 13/2/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Russ thanks for the call. My MOT tester wasn't complaining that they were continental, just that they are flat and don't have a pattern. I've inclined the lenses and printed the link from loggyboy so fingers crossed between those two I'll get it passed!
snowy2

posted on 13/2/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have twin dominators on my car and they are fine for mot....the manual actually says a flat beam is ok as are left hand drive dip beams if correctors are fitted.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Hugh_

posted on 15/2/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
My retest was today, guy still adamant they werent "quite right" even for one of the British American beam patterns, he let it go as being minor though. Think I'll go elsewhere next year.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.