Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I.O.M TT - Today
Jasper

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of you are missing the point. As a society we have a duty of care to try to keep people from killing/hurting themselves, because a lot of people are just not bright enough to do it themselves.

To be honest, I really don't care about the riders themselves, if they want to take those kind of risks then fine. The real problem I have is that nobody seems willing to talk about those that are left behind to pick up the pieces - the family and friends.

When I got together with my wife 10 years ago I was riding a Ducati Paso 900 and had been riding bikes for 10 years. During that time I only really had myself to worry about. Once I realised this was the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with I felt a responsibility to her and her daughter to do what I could to look after myself as best I could. I soon realised that everytime I was late home from work on my bike by even 5 minutes my wife would be imagining me lying dead in a ditch.

Now I love my wife enough to realise that just isn't fair on her, so I sold the bike and built a kit car instead. Whatever you may think or say we all know kit car are statistically MUCH safer than riding a bike. I crashed mine and walked away with a bit of whiplash.

Now a man like Guy Martin who seems to have no dependants can race all he likes as he has no family responsibilities. But any of those other guys with wives and children well thats a different matter, I just see it as total selfishness. When I married my wife I made a commitment to her and I feel a duty of care to her and her daughter to reasonably reduce my chances of leaving them alone in the world. Now I did say 'reasonably' here.

So yes, go out, ride like crazy fools, but just remember who will be picking up the very real and emotion pieces of you when you're in bits down a road - it won't be you that's for sure.

For all those of you with a family who go out and ride hard and fast on country roads ask yourself would you smoke fags around your kids, or not put their seat belt on in the car, or let them play with the toaster? You'd do anything to look after them and keep them safe, but the one thing they need more than anything else, to grow up with a dad in the house, you would risk for a bit of Sunday afternoon testosterone fueled adrenaline rush.

I think too many 'family' men don't really realise or admit the dangers until it's too late.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

JoelP

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
+1 to jasper

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Yazza54

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Every one I've seen has their family behind them 100%. Who are we to speculate whether these people should have the right to do it or not when we have no involvement.

I don't see anyone actually involve in the TT calling for it to be cancelled, whether it be riders or riders families.

The only people I've heard moaning is people who have no connection, so just dont watch it and let the riders, their families and spectators enjoy it.

I'd rather die doing something i love than with a careworker wiping my arse for me and I dare say the riders families want them to do what they love an accept the possible consequences.

[Edited on 7/6/11 by Yazza54]

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

daviep

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I think a lot of you are missing the point. As a society we have a duty of care to try to keep people from killing/hurting themselves.

I think your a bit pretentious deciding what we as a society should and shouldn't be worrying about, maybe you are the one who is missing the point.

We have the duty to stop irresponsible people from injuring/killing innocent people, thats a completely different notion to stopping people who may be injured or killed in a sport from competeing. Racing on a closed circuit whether it be short track or road does not endanger anybody who isn't aware of the risks.

How you choose to live your life is up to you, why do you feel the need to inflict your views on anybody else?

Is it a case of you can't have a bike so neither should anybody else?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Jasper

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
And what about the young children and babies of the riders - do they have a choice and an input into it, I think not.

That's what having a family means, having children who rely on you being their for them.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

daviep

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
And what about the young children and babies of the riders - do they have a choice and an input into it, I think not.

That's what having a family means, having children who rely on you being their for them.

Yes, their parents make their decisions for them until they are of a suitable age to informed decisions themselves.

I know that if my dad asked me whether I would like him to give up biking I would say no. I'd love not to worry about him getting wrapped round the front of a lorry but the thought of him sitting at home getting old and miserable is a way worse alternative.

Live and let live.

Davie

p.s. That's a catchy signature you've got, hardly seems to echo your beliefs though.

[Edited on 7/6/11 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Richard Quinn

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Jasper - I see a certain irony in your signature!

There is no one forcing these people to do this and, as stated above, friends and family are usuallu 100% behind them. There are probably a lot more examples of commuter and pleasure motorcyclists where this is definitely not the case.

I agree with your comment about the kit car being safer than the bike but can you honestly say that you have never felt slightly exposed or vulnerable in your kit car compared to your everyday tin top. You are still at risk when driving your kit and if you are just out for a blat (or even just pootling around) then you are needlessly putting yourself at risk in pursuit of your own pleasure. Do anyone's kids here have a say in that?

The one big issue I have is people is people doing this type of thing on the public highway and ending up taking out someone who had absolutely no choice in the matter. That is irresponsible.

Doh! too late with the sig comment!!

[Edited on 7/6/11 by Richard Quinn]

Wadders

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nice sentiment, but plenty of children lose parents to cancer, divorce, road accidents etc, and they have no influence in any of those cases.....I applaud your family commitment, but it shouldn't stop you doing what you love.
I bet it won't stop them once they are out of your control....

Al.

Surrey Dave

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Age Thing?

I started this post with very mixed emotions , when I was younger 20 - 30 I used to race karts on long circuits which is quite fast and dangerous ,upto 60 on the grid I didn't really think I was going to get killed ,you sort of feel invincible when you are young,in the end I had quite a large accident and could easily have been killed or paralysed, I never returned.

When I see the way that motorcycle racers injure themselves and then come back as soon as possible I'm impressed with their determination.

But when you get to my age now (57) time starts to go really quickly people pass away that you know and generally it's about trying to extend your as much as possible.

So although I love watching bike racing and think they are like modern day gladiators part of me thinks what a waste of a life in pursuit of something as futile as winning a race and being the fastest, but as I say I'm willing to concede it is an age thing!

As for the families and partners it must be a tremendous shock when they wave them off at line and then get a message just a few minutes later, that their loved one has gone forever, yes they all know the risks but no one really thinks it will happen to them.

The sidecar team that where killed last week ,the driver was 67!, and the passenger 57............... I wouldn't want to be a passenger on one of those things but if I was forced it would not be with a driver of 67..........on the IOM with no room for error you must be joking.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.