Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PASA slow steady drive out ;) Tuesday 26th July
stevegough

posted on 26/7/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got in a bit before you, just after 11.

Some personal highlights of a bloody fantastic drive out....(by my standards)

1) heavily clonked my sump on a nigh-on invisible speed bump at the Marriot hotel, but still intact, phew!
2) nearly heavily clonked my car during a dodgy overtaking manouvre just after leaving the A6....I blamed my shades!
3) chippy wasn't bad - puddin' chips n'gravy and a coffee £5.80.
4) car behaved impeccably - didn't miss a beat - fantastic!
5) slightly damaged my car on the way back just before garstang turnoff M6 - Huge chunk of debris (think it was a wagon wheelarch) in lane 2 - saw it a split second before I hit it - shot up into the air over my car - got it in the garage at home - broken front no.plate - well - it was too big anyway!

You're a great bunch of guys, maybe one or two of yous a bit nuts, but.....

Look forward to doing another trip very soon.

Oh, just one more thing - the weather behaved, too. Shame about the wabbits and the poorly MX5 (Dave Beddows?- did you get back OK and find out the problem?)

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

stevegough

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I’m Back too

Bloody good run, only a mere 125 miles, eyes blood shot but there you go!

Adrian

[Edited on 26-7-11 by AdrianH]

I noticed the bloodshot eyes in the chippy - both you and phil. What you need is a windscreen!

Luego Locost C20XE.

D Beddows

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I got home about 11 too......... but on the back of a recovery truck about half a mile after I turned back the electricity decided to make a break for freedom as well as the water so turning the heater on was a no no, it was ok on the A6 for some reason but as soon as I got to the motorway it just got stupid hot again. Made it as far as the Tickled Trout and decided it wasn't worth frying my head gasket so I watched the sun set over the BP petrol station while I waited for the RAC - big shout out to my new friend Abdul from the petrol station btw!

Ironic really because I've been giving people grief on here for years about having cr*p cooling systems - ah well every ride out needs a 'Top Gear' comedy breakdown moment.....

Anyway I was having a great time till then and as soon as I get a chance to fix it I'll be back out with you all again!

stevegough

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I got home about 11 too......... but on the back of a recovery truck about half a mile after I turned back the electricity decided to make a break for freedom as well as the water so turning the heater on was a no no, it was ok on the A6 for some reason but as soon as I got to the motorway it just got stupid hot again. Made it as far as the Tickled Trout and decided it wasn't worth frying my head gasket so I watched the sun set over the BP petrol station while I waited for the RAC - big shout out to my new friend Abdul from the petrol station btw!

Ironic really because I've been giving people grief on here for years about having cr*p cooling systems - ah well every ride out needs a 'Top Gear' comedy breakdown moment.....

Anyway I was having a great time till then and as soon as I get a chance to fix it I'll be back out with you all again!

Sounds like you also had a pretty good evening out, then Dave? Still, as I said before, it'll make a good donor car Anyway, You can see your car (and the back of your head with its built - in reflector ) just in shot in the first photo - leaving the Marriot.

Luego Locost C20XE.

D Beddows

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

(and the back of your head with its built - in reflector )

lol cheeky b'stard it's all for aerodynamics, the streamlining gains me 2 seconds a lap round Sainsburys

welderman

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not good, do you have an idea what the problem was.

You missed a good run there Dave, next time eh

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

D Beddows

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, will have to do some taking apart before I find out I think - RAC man didn't have a clue either (in fact I seemed to have more of a clue than the RAC man but at least they got me home!). Don't know what happened to the alternator either, was fine until the overheating incident. Ah well - maybe not next time but definitely the time after
Tommy P

posted on 27/7/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
A cracking and incident packed nights drive.

I have now forgiven Joe for chipping my BRAND NEW and expensive helmet and filling my car with a bag of stones

Don't try this at home! - I did'nt see Chris spin out and reverse up a grassy knoll as he came off that roundabout, because I was engulfed in a cloud of dust (kicked up by Chris and Joe in front). Breaking at high speed on a newly chipped road after exiting a corner, to avoid running into the back of Joe, when all you can see are a pair of break lights glowing (and getting closer) is pretty hairy.

Great photos Steve - Keep your eye out for the crossroad signs
Glad to hear you eventually got home Dave
As Joe said, It wasgood to see some old and new faces (Chris was looking particularily old after his spin and Rabbit spatterd face)

All in all

Did I mention my chipped helmet? I'm just off to get my spade out to empty the cockpit!

OULTON PARK TRACK DAY VIDEO
http://youtu.be/-d99GbTnuuY

TimC

posted on 27/7/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nope, will have to do some taking apart before I find out I think - RAC man didn't have a clue either (in fact I seemed to have more of a clue than the RAC man but at least they got me home!). Don't know what happened to the alternator either, was fine until the overheating incident. Ah well - maybe not next time but definitely the time after

Can't recall how the MX-5 engine hangs together but no cooling and no electrics would certainly (or a good chance) be the auxiliary belt on. say, a X-Flow.

Been there, bought the tights!

[Edited on 27/7/11 by TimC]

FFTS

posted on 27/7/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Oh Sh*t.. I'm in trouble now

Toms helmet

Toms next helmet

My helmet after aidi's rabbit strike

Joes present to Tom

For Steve

For me

Sorry you couldn't stay for the whole night Dave

Aidi adds the rest of his new driving gear to his headset

Chris.

D Beddows

posted on 27/7/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can't recall how the MX-5 engine hangs together but no cooling and no electrics would certainly (or a good chance) be the auxiliary belt on. say, a X-Flow. Been there, bought the tights!

Yeah it's a prime suspect as the waterpump and alternator are turned by the same belt - but that belt is still there and turning and water is going round the engine - if a little erratically........ it's one of the 1st things I'll look at tho when I get a minute

[Edited on 27/7/11 by D Beddows]

Tommy P

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - You've got too much time on your hands

FFTS

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy P
Chris - You've got too much time on your hands

I know it's great isn't it hahah

Chris.

adithorp

posted on 27/7/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dave what were the overheating symptoms? Was it actually overheating (sorry I was up the road at the time in one of those unreliable BECs) or just the gauge reading high. An overcharging alternator could do that and then die.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

D Beddows

posted on 27/7/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Turns out the overheating was due to a blocked radiator core ..... and in a completely unrelated double dose of sh*tty luck a mile or so after turning round the alternator belt went AWOL - and both I and the RAC man completely failed to spot it.... ho hum, at least it's not the alternator

[Edited on 28/7/11 by D Beddows]

AdrianH

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not that much of a job then.

Plenty of rad flush, thermostat out and flush with hose backwards etc. Sure you know the routine.

The water coming out did look very cruddy. At least you should be there for the next run?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

MkII

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
good to see some familiar faces and some new ones,I'll try join you for more of the route next time. .m.
stevegough

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just repaired another problem which was "thown up" (pun definitely intended) the other night!

The passenger seat (which is fore/aft adjustable) seemed to have mysteriously lost its locking ability.

Unbolted and removed it only to find one of the many pieces of gravel Tom showered me with - when I stupidly halted right behind him - stuck in the locking mechanism!

Cheers, Tom! I owe you one!

Luego Locost C20XE.

Tommy P

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
You sure that didn't come from Joe, cos Adrian H got spatterd too, he was behind me whe Joe set off and spatterd me.
If I did then Sorry

stevegough

posted on 29/7/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You sure that didn't come from Joe, cos Adrian H got spatterd too, he was behind me whe Joe set off and spatterd me.
If I did then Sorry

I have to admit being confused with you two - welderman is Joe in the orange 666 fury, and Tom was in the green one (and you've both got invisible numberplates) - but it was the green car - of that I'm certain (unless I'm getting colourblind, too?)

Luego Locost C20XE.

AdrianH

posted on 29/7/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone has an AVI of my rear end (Oh-err misses). I would love to see how much the car leans on the bends, looking at old posts on the Haynes forum some have up'ed the rear springs.

Adrian

Tommy P

posted on 29/7/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, Yep I'm the green one - so sorry about that, I would have liked to blame Joe, just because. Ha ha.

Adrian, Joe has a short vid (abot 15mins) don't know if your on it but he said he would try to post it later. It's wide angle so unless he was really close you might not see the suspension working on your car.

We could try and fix a camera up to see it next time out.

AdrianH

posted on 29/7/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Tom.

Will see what transpires, just looking for a general idea, so any views would be good. Probably embarrassing showing any of my driving but what the hell.

Adrian

welderman

posted on 29/7/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Steve, Yep I'm the green one - so sorry about that, I would have liked to blame Joe, just because. Ha ha.

Adrian, Joe has a short vid (abot 15mins) don't know if your on it but he said he would try to post it later. It's wide angle so unless he was really close you might not see the suspension working on your car.

We could try and fix a camera up to see it next time out.

hahahahahahahaha so it was you aswell there nahnahnahnah.

Adrian, i will try and get a video up, but im off to sunny Spain tomorrow for 2 weeks, will do my best

Have a good ride out you lot and take it easy

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

AdrianH

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Enjoy your holiday, sod the video, you have more important things to get ready.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.