Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lewis gets his own show!
scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that if he was back-to-front at the exit of a chicane and he couldn't see what was happening on the racetrack, then he should have got himself off the racing line VERY carefully!

The donut manouvre could never be construed as careful and could have ended in an almighty coming together. You can argue the point all you like, but the F1 Steward committee who I assume know a bit about F1 rules and regs seem to have also thought it was inappropriate!

Also worth noting that the man at the centre of the controversy took it on the chin AND apologised to Di Resta.

It's Evolution Baby!

craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Just because he didn't look doesn't mean it was safe to recover his car...

We used to have a cat who would steal stuff off the table by ducking his head underneath first and assumed because he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him... This approach didn't work for him either, he got a kick in the ar$e too! And well deserved!

Where did you hear that he didn't look? I thought he said that he didn't see him not that he didn't look. How far up the track could he see from where he was and what sort of approach speed were the cars doing there. In other words, just how long did he actually have to make a decision?

I don't get the cat analogy either. Are you suggesting that if Hamilton didn't look then he would think that the other drivers wouldn't see him either? Surely it was in his interest for them to be able to see him.

I'm not saying that what he did was right but I do think that the punishment was a little harsh.

Well I think it was justified and it seems the stewards agreed, including a fellow British racing driver Alan McNish. You're over thinking the cat analogy (which wasn't an analogy by the way, it was just a story about my cat...) if Hamilton had looked to his left towards oncoming traffic he would(should) have seen Paul Di Resta and a few other cars. He didn't even turn his head from what I can remember and you don't see much out of the side of a crash helmet. It just looked to me like yet another example where he expects other drivers to get out of his way rather than show some mutual respect.

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't argue with that list too much except

Massa, nice bloke but zero charisma
Kobayashi is definitely in the top half, mainly on the basis of being a reincarnated kamikaze pilot, but he does have it
Vettel I don't think has much either, in the middle somewhere, any he has is due to him being champion (and it automatically brings some) not due to him, comes across as a nice kid but I wouldn't say charismatic

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Just because he didn't look doesn't mean it was safe to recover his car...

We used to have a cat who would steal stuff off the table by ducking his head underneath first and assumed because he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him... This approach didn't work for him either, he got a kick in the ar$e too! And well deserved!

Where did you hear that he didn't look? I thought he said that he didn't see him not that he didn't look. How far up the track could he see from where he was and what sort of approach speed were the cars doing there. In other words, just how long did he actually have to make a decision?

I don't get the cat analogy either. Are you suggesting that if Hamilton didn't look then he would think that the other drivers wouldn't see him either? Surely it was in his interest for them to be able to see him.

I'm not saying that what he did was right but I do think that the punishment was a little harsh.

Well I think it was justified and it seems the stewards agreed, including a fellow British racing driver Alan McNish. You're over thinking the cat analogy (which wasn't an analogy by the way, it was just a story about my cat...) if Hamilton had looked to his left towards oncoming traffic he would(should) have seen Paul Di Resta and a few other cars. He didn't even turn his head from what I can remember and you don't see much out of the side of a crash helmet. It just looked to me like yet another example where he expects other drivers to get out of his way rather than show some mutual respect.

Given the restriction of the cockpit foam head protection thingies, HANS and given the line PDR had already chosen, effectively 'behind Hamilton/ to PDRs right, I'm not actually sure how much he would see, been said many time by DC, forward vision is OK, every other direction is poor

Richard Quinn

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The longer he was there, the greater the risk. A very careful 3-point turn isn't really an option in an F1 car.

As I keep saying, I don't think it was right but it wasn't as "stupid" as some people are suggesting. Of course Hamilton was going to apologise publicly.

craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Wouldn't argue with that list too much except

Massa, nice bloke but zero charisma
Kobayashi is definitely in the top half, mainly on the basis of being a reincarnated kamikaze pilot, but he does have it
Vettel I don't think has much either, in the middle somewhere, any he has is due to him being champion (and it automatically brings some) not due to him, comes across as a nice kid but I wouldn't say charismatic

To be honest I hesitated about Massa and Kobayashi but Massa is well regarded as a really nice guy to talk to and is almost always smiling and willing to talk to the press and pundits. Kobayashi is an exciting driver but doesn't impress me the way he comes across in interviews. Vettel is very charismatic I think, especially for a young guy.

A good measure of charisma is when, in the press conferences before or after a race. In most cases the drivers not speaking just look straight forward but when drivers like Schumacher and Alonso speak, the other drivers turn and look at them.

The thing I like about Paul Di Resta is that he has a steeliness in his eyes that will stand him in good stead in future. Vettel has that too but hides it well when talking to the press. I understand he is a very demanding guy behind the scenes but in a constructive way.

Kwik

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
if hamilton drove slowly off the racing line onto the run off area and spin it round there he would have been hit, by spinning it virtually on the sport the drivers could choose where to go from the start of the chicane. if he drove forward i think it was button would have just hit him from the side...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
James Allen has done a little piece on this incident. It seems this isn't Hamilton's first time for something like this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/hamilton-penalty-was-for-offence-eerily-similar-to-gp2-move/

Also, incidentally, Allan McNish was also the driver rep in Monaco when Lewis got a penalty "...because I'm black...". I wonder if this may be partly behind the lack of sympathy? The poll on the JA website is pretty close as to whether the penalty was justified or not but is currently 580 vs 543 in favour of the penalty.

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think HamiltonDonutGate is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moments.

Having just seen it again on the news, what I would say is

1 I don't think it affected PDRs line at all, he'd picked that to avoid a broadside Hamilton, he didn't change his line when Hamilton flicked it round, I don't think it was dangerous AS LONG AS he didn't overcook the donut and we keep being told these guys are the best in the world, why would he

2 He was in the lead/top 2 (can't remember) when it happened. do I sit here while everyone comes past or get on with it, what decision would Webber/Alonso et al. have taken, I suspect their inclination would have been to get on with it.

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
James Allen has done a little piece on this incident. It seems this isn't Hamilton's first time for something like this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/hamilton-penalty-was-for-offence-eerily-similar-to-gp2-move/

Also, incidentally, Allan McNish was also the driver rep in Monaco when Lewis got a penalty "...because I'm black...". I wonder if this may be partly behind the lack of sympathy? The poll on the JA website is pretty close as to whether the penalty was justified or not but is currently 580 vs 543 in favour of the penalty.

MMM, hadn't realised McNish was on both. To be honest the general consensus on the Hamilton/Maldonado coming together at Monaco is that he (LH) did nothing wrong, Bundle in his live commentary called against Hamilton but on watching the playbacks changed his mind, the stewards have those playbacks before they take the decision, QED bad call IMHO

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.