Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tube Engineers Exhaust
indykid

posted on 21/9/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Enthusiasm and aesthetics doesn't mean good design!

Equally, you can have all the knowledge in the world and you'll still get ignored when you come across as a cock.

If we were all after design perfection, we wouldn't be reusing parts from other cars and bikes, or building them into 7 style bodies.....

The losses will be far less significant than you seem to be making out.

I'm sure the OP will be perfectly happy.

phelpsa

posted on 21/9/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
OK, it's not my place to show 'experts' how they should be doing their work.

If you lot think that manifold is fantastic, go give the makers your money.

But, have a look at a few racecar exhausts before you decide that pipes bent like that are what most are using.

Just because it's pretty, doesn't mean it's right.

Cheers,
Nev.

Mr.Phelps, you're an eng student (?I think, first year?), go find a text on gas flow and fluid dynamics, then YOU come and tell us why that exhaust is not 'optimum'. Just make sure you do the homework well.

I just spotted the chassis.......no, I won't comment.

Enthusiasm and aesthetics doesn't mean good design!

[Edited on 21/9/11 by Neville Jones]

Nev, you've got me wrong on two levels.

1) I know what I think of the exhaust and have made my own opinions. I however haven't blurted out nutsack because I can't back it up with any proof or evidence. I don't know what the reasons are for that design being utilised but there are many more important factors than perfect flow.

2) I am an Mech Eng student but certainly not in my 1st year and currently gaining experience much higher up in the industry than you have reached (probably due to your attitude).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/9/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
My only concern woudl be the use of stainless and it having (apparently) zero intermediate support between the tips - with heat that stainless gets brittle and with poor support you may find it cracks. But it's easy enough to lob in a support.

Flow-wise, I don't like the fairly sharp radius kink in 3 and the primaries look a bit long (but that could be right for the desired effect, I don't know) but I can't see anything in it that might drop more than a % or two by guestimation. Willing to be proved wrong though.

Toprivetguns

posted on 21/9/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
With the exception of one person in particular I appreciate everyone's input. I joined this site to help others and seek advice from like minded enthusiasts.

If anything, positive criticism is appreciate as it can only add value to my car !

Its a shame the 1% always ruin it for the other 99%.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Litemoth

posted on 21/9/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him”
Neville Jones

posted on 22/9/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing like a bit of debate, is there?

I didn't question the workmanship, as I said, it's very pretty.

The design is questionable.

From first appearances, it appears that the makers either don't have a bigger radius die for that size tube, or couldn't be bothered changing the dies.

The manifold would look a lot better, and function much better, if larger radius bends were used, and a little more thought actually put into the tube runs.

If anyone is considering using the manufacturers of that manifold to make one for them selves, then ask what centreline radius the die is that they intend to use for the bending. If it is not more than 3~4 times the tube diameter, then ask them to invest in the suitable sized tooling, before doing your job.

That's all it needs.

I'll say no more.

Just because it looks pretty, doesn't mean it's right.

Cheers,
Nev.

franky

posted on 22/9/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nothing like a bit of debate, is there?

I didn't question the workmanship, as I said, it's very pretty.

The design is questionable.

From first appearances, it appears that the makers either don't have a bigger radius die for that size tube, or couldn't be bothered changing the dies.

The manifold would look a lot better, and function much better, if larger radius bends were used, and a little more thought actually put into the tube runs.

If anyone is considering using the manufacturers of that manifold to make one for them selves, then ask what centreline radius the die is that they intend to use for the bending. If it is not more than 3~4 times the tube diameter, then ask them to invest in the suitable sized tooling, before doing your job.

That's all it needs.

I'll say no more.

Just because it looks pretty, doesn't mean it's right.

Cheers,
Nev.

They are 'Tube engineers' and have all the equipment anyone in that sector could ever need/use. For you're cash you wont find better. Obviously the design might hamper an F1 car slightly but I don't know of any builders doing one at the moment.

Nick DV

posted on 22/9/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Equally, you can have all the knowledge in the world and you'll still get ignored when you come across as a cock.

I would never normally reply to this sort of post as I am not clever enough to give my opinion, and I am not in the habit of purposely offending anyone, but that's a bit harsh!!!

Remember, this is an open forum and EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions, views or advice! It's your choice if you choose to take it or not.

Some choose to post theirs, whilst others don't have the knowledge or balls to do so! Some will do so by being all 'nicey, nicey' so not to offend anyone, whilst others will give honest, straight to the point answers , as is the case with Nev's replies. You must read and take in what is written, not see just what you want to see - always keep an open mind.

TBH, I wish that Nev had given me advice when I had my exhaust system made, then I may have got a better system than I have. Personally, I would never question anyone's abilities or knowledge until I either knew them or saw their credentials. In Neville's case, I WOULD BE the biggest cock in the world to question him when it comes to anything to do with car design/engineering - Locost or race car!

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 22/9/11 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.