Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power! Point of Diminishing Returns...
zilspeed

posted on 5/10/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I love the way that we assume have what it takes to handle the level of power we might be able to afford.

Yes, it can be fed in progressively, but tell me this.
If you're feeding it in progressively and spend little time at wide open throttle, what percentage of the time are you actually using all of the power ?

I would respectfully suggest that if you spend the vast majority of the time soft pedalling to keep it on the road, it has more power than you're using. Therefore, it has too much power.

Few of us are champions and champions are the ones who best use all of the power for most of the time.

The rest of us, it's just vanity publishing, isn't it ?

ashg

posted on 5/10/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
claire t1r's are pap on a car of that weight with that kind of power, i had them on mine and thought they were ok until i put r1r's on it. now i look back and think how bloody dangerous it was with t1r's on it. i would seriously recommend that you stick r1r's or ad08's on it as you will have double the grip without the issues of r888's in the wet.

to some extent i agree that power delivery can make a difference but with that much power in a light weight car if you open up the taps fully its available so quickly you have very little time to think about it let alone worry about how its delivered, its just too quick.

i will give you an example.

when i go to overtake now, im not thinking do i have time to get past what ever im overtaking i am now thinking do i have enough space to slow it down after the overtake before the next vehicle in front of the one being overtaken.

thats even before i have pulled out for the overtake.

e.g if i were to overtake a car doing 40 on a 60 road. if i kept my foot down fully i could be very easily be doing over 100mph by the time im round and pulling back in. If there is a car further up the road also doing 40mph i then have a closing speed of 60mph on semi cold brakes that i have to scrub off before it hit the back of it, then add on top of that thinking about if that car in front is about to turn off or brake suddenly casing me to brake even harder and you get the idea how far up the road you have to think.

so yes i could have more power the engine will easily make 320bhp on the current turbo. do i want it not sure.... had the car like this for a while now and although my brain has got quicker im nut sure how much more i can push it.

does the car scare me? yes sometimes when i get carried away. is it a pig to drive slowly? well its not a town car but it will trot along nicely at a mild pace but nicely tends to be hot hatch quick. stuck in traffic stop start with it is a total nightmare as the gear change and clutch are a bit heavy compared to a standard setup.

what i do love about the POWERRRRR though is a while ago i come up against a tit in an sl55 amg thinking he was fastest thing on the road. he got put back in his place good a proper so much so that when i slowed up, rather than give the usual nod most people give he turned on the blinkers and pointed straight ahead as i waved like a 5 year old.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

JoelP

posted on 5/10/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
my bec was too fast really, but i think that was a lack of responsibility on my part. Id drive it like i was on a trackday, and climb out shaking after nipping to the shop for milk. Fortunately i ran out of money and sold it before it all went wrong.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

franky

posted on 5/10/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
claire t1r's are pap on a car of that weight with that kind of power, i had them on mine and thought they were ok until i put r1r's on it. now i look back and think how bloody dangerous it was with t1r's on it. i would seriously recommend that you stick r1r's or ad08's on it as you will have double the grip without the issues of r888's in the wet.

to some extent i agree that power delivery can make a difference but with that much power in a light weight car if you open up the taps fully its available so quickly you have very little time to think about it let alone worry about how its delivered, its just too quick.

when i go to overtake now, im not thinking do i have time to get past what ever im overtaking i am now thinking do i have enough space to slow it down after the overtake before the next vehicle in front of the one being overtaken.

e.g if i were to overtake a car doing 40 on a 60 road. if i kept my foot down fully i could be very easily be doing over 100mph by the time im round and pulling back in. If there is a car further up the road also doing 40mph i then have a closing speed of 60mph on semi cold brakes that i have to scrub off before it hit the back of it, then add on top of that thinking about if that car in front is about to turn off or brake suddenly casing me to brake even harder and you get the idea how far up the road you have to think.

so yes i could have more power the engine will easily make 320bhp on the current turbo. do i want it not sure.... had the car like this for a while now and although my brain has got quicker im nut sure how much more i can push it.

does the car scare me? yes sometimes when i get carried away. is it a pig to drive slowly? well its not a town car but it will trot along nicely at a mild pace but nicely tends to be hot hatch quick. stuck in traffic stop start with it is a total nightmare as the gear change and clutch are a bit heavy compared to a standard setup.

what i do love about the POWERRRRR though is a while ago i come up against a tit in an sl55 amg thinking he was fastest thing on the road. he got put back in his place good a proper so much so that when i slowed up, rather than give the usual nod most people give he turned on the blinkers and pointed straight ahead as i waved like a 5 year old.

+1 to r1r's. Great magical bits of circular rubber.

ashg

posted on 5/10/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
agreed t1r's really are crap, they feel like blocks of wood compared to r1r's. franky if you had put t1r's on your car to start with you would be sing the r1r song even louder. luckily your a wiser man than i and fitted r1r's from the beginning. it took a serious scare to make me change my tyres for good ones.

PEOPLE BE WARNED T1R's ARE RUBBISH CHEAP TYRES FOR PEOPLE WITH SLOW HOT HATCHES! if your reading this thread and thinking of building a kitcar with more than 300bhp/t really consider why you would put cheap every day road car tyres on it.

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

franky

posted on 5/10/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

+1 to r1r's. Great magical bits of circular rubber.

ETA: I shouldn't really comment as i've not got a 600kg car

ashg

posted on 5/10/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
lol little bit chubby are we it can be forgiven for the noise that bmw engine makes on full chat.

my car is just sub 600. the only thing i have found so far that is a production car is a chap at works v10 r8 up to 70-80 odd we are pretty similar as is our power to weight ratio but after that he can destroy me as aero starts getting involved. out of a bend i get him every time all the way up to 100 odd as he just cant carry the speed being 3 times heavier than me. its all swings and roundabouts at the end of day.

as wadders discovered if you want mental power/speed without the extra weight then aero is the only thing that will achieve it. just remember to order a pair of steel balls to go with it.

[Edited on 5/10/2011 by ashg]

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

clairetoo

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

PEOPLE BE WARNED T1R's ARE RUBBISH CHEAP TYRES FOR PEOPLE WITH SLOW HOT HATCHES! if your reading this thread and thinking of building a kitcar with more than 300bhp/t really consider why you would put cheap every day road car tyres on it.

A bit harsh ?

I dont happen to have £400+ for a set for tyres every few weeks.................

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ashg

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
maybe...... but i strongly believe they are not suitable for such light cars. r1r's will do about 6k driven hard with a few track days thrown in. dont know where you got £400 from i paid £270 for my last set and they are worth every penny. don't understand how people think its ok to spend a lot of money on a high performance car then fit crap tyres to it. tyres are the only thing that keep you on the road and are the single biggest handling improvement anyone can make. when someone says their car doesn't handle i think we should be asking them what tyres they have as it never seems to be asked

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

hughpinder

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think it does depend on when you use your car and how the power comes in.
If you want to use it all year, wet,icy etc 200bhp/t is more than enough on the bad days, not enough on the good days.
If you will only occasionally use it on wet roads 350bhp/t is enough.

Both those I'm assuming the power comes in nicely - N/a or supercharged engines.

Although I like to drive fast, the sorts of speed you will be doing to use more than that amount of power is really not suitable for road use in the uk (this was a question for 'on the road'. Saying 'its my risk' is fine, but if you ever talk to someone who has been in an accident where someone else has dies you'll know they almost always feel some blame for it. Statistics show that the number of accidents doubles for every 10mph extra AVERAGE speed you carry up to about 80mph, where it starts to go up in a truley exponential way. Once you are going at 50mph above another road user in front of you, you will be out of their 'perceived risk' range, i.e when they want to change lanes/overtake, they see you in the mirror , but you're so far away they assume there is no danger and pull out anyway, and you have to brake very hard or swerve to avoid them. I often see bikers doing this and getting irate with some car thats pulled out in front of them - sorry but if you're doing 140 on a motorway, where others are dong 80 you will be in a position where most people will assume you're too far away to worry about, when you are in fact at a point beyond your minimum comfortable braking distance, and where you will have to take evasive action if they pull out.
End of lecture

Regards
Hugh

D Beddows

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I love the way that we assume have what it takes to handle the level of power we might be able to afford. Yes, it can be fed in progressively, but tell me this. If you're feeding it in progressively and spend little time at wide open throttle, what percentage of the time are you actually using all of the power ? I would respectfully suggest that if you spend the vast majority of the time soft pedalling to keep it on the road, it has more power than you're using. Therefore, it has too much power. Few of us are champions and champions are the ones who best use all of the power for most of the time. The rest of us, it's just vanity publishing, isn't it ?

I 100% agree with you Zil but you get shot to pieces round here don't you if you dare suggest people don't have the same innate level of driving skill and car control as Ayrton Senna in his prime

onenastyviper

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

I love the way that we assume have what it takes to handle the level of power we might be able to afford. Yes, it can be fed in progressively, but tell me this. If you're feeding it in progressively and spend little time at wide open throttle, what percentage of the time are you actually using all of the power ? I would respectfully suggest that if you spend the vast majority of the time soft pedalling to keep it on the road, it has more power than you're using. Therefore, it has too much power. Few of us are champions and champions are the ones who best use all of the power for most of the time. The rest of us, it's just vanity publishing, isn't it ?

I 100% agree with you Zil but you get shot to pieces round here don't you if you dare suggest people don't have the same innate level of driving skill and car control as Ayrton Senna in his prime

I know I do not have the innate talents of world champions or even some trackday Gods but I would still want a car where I find my limit first that way I at least stand a chance of improving out on the track.
Trying to find the limits on the road is risky.

D Beddows

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Lol - as has been proved many times a LOT of people for quite a while reach their limit before the car does on a track with 89bhp ish of 1300 xflow power in a 750MC Locost................ and a fair few of them drive very fast road cars..........

Yes you learn to handle that level of power but anyone who says that a genuine 200bhp in a 600kg car isn't quick enough for them should have been snapped up by a F3 team at the very least

owelly

posted on 6/10/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
A fews years ago, I was running an old ex-plod Volvo T5 and my chum had a Blade engined 7. The 7 could outrun the Volvo up to 110mph but then the Volvo would catch up. With two fatties in the 7, the Volvo was all over it, even loaded with two fatties and a mid-fatty. So the Volvo had 310bhp and weighed the same as Coventry whereas the 7's power to weight ratio was ruined by pies. The 7 was nice and quick and very usable, but not stupid fast and could certainly hold its own on the track.
Fast forward a few years, my plastic car weighs about 480kg and makes around 200bhp. At its recent trip up the strip at Santa Pod, I was changing up into fourth at 101mph as I passed the gantry and still chirruping the tyres. Getting the car moving off the line was very tricky as the Atlas diff sent all those horses out under one tyre, which came out as smoke. Even setting off in second didn't help. Setting off in third made the clutch slip. I have some new coilovers to replace the knackered ones to stop the axle from bouncing and a de-dion with lsd to fit next. That should get the power to the wheels but much more than the 200 bhp, imho, would be wasted.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you think of it like a bike, I don't see how you can do too much damage: nobody sees you, and you DO have too much power if you floor it everywhere. Mine has about 180, and I am very nervous about putting it on the road. I've never had it out of second gear at autoslalom and that is scary enough (max 100 km/h, 50 mph).
Wadders

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
More info needed please ............:-)

]Originally posted by Steve Hignett
The car I'm currently building will weigh in at around 1400 bhp-per-tonne, and I personally think that's too much. But it's each to their own isn't it! (as long as I'm not paying for it!!!)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.