Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need a DXF file making from these pics
wilkingj

posted on 12/11/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Need a DXF file making from these pics

I am trying to make a High Voltage Capacitor (in the region of 10-12Kv)

I need to get these drawings turned into a DXF file, then find someone who can laser / water cut them.
Its 1mm Ally.
I am not sure which would be best laser or water cut. I need the edges to be as smooth as possible, as jagged spikes etc, will allow any high voltage flash overs to happen at a lower voltage.
Basicaly I expect to have to sand them all down, but obviously want to reduce the workload as much as possible.

Can anyone help, with either the DXF files (assuming thats what I need for a cutter to use) or with the actual cutting.

I recon about 10 rotors, and 22 stators and 2 end plates.

Anyone able to even give me a price?

For the curious, its a high voltage tuning capacitor for a Magnetic Loop antenna, and will be remotely turned by a very very slow motion 12v motor (2RPM) thru a 5:1 reduction gerabox.

Just so you know!

All thoughts appreciated.

Geoff

The Stator Plate
Capacitor Stator
Capacitor Stator

The Rotor plate
Capacitor Rotor
Capacitor Rotor

The End Plate
Capacitor End Plate
Capacitor End Plate

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 12/11/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
does that make you an amateur?

de G0VTL

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

dave r

posted on 12/11/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
i knew geoff was one something ddx, i think

g0pys

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

luke

posted on 12/11/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I can draw these up for you if you havent sorted an offer yet?
trextr7monkey

posted on 12/11/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff did you ever get the 2d design programme to work as it saves files as DXF.?
We have a small cnc router and a micro mill but never used them on ali- always wood and plastic, also have an old Camm 2 which would do it. The finish from the machines id pretty smooth and accurate
I could probably have a look at it mid to late week apart from we haven't any ali that thin and we are a bit pushed time wise. If you can find someone else to do it then it isn't a problem
It is a pity you aren't closer as you could have come in for a bit of training and a twiddle!
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

andyw7de

posted on 12/11/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I can draw them and cut them for you...

Ill sort out a price for you on monday if thats not too late

cheers

Andy

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

gingerprince

posted on 12/11/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
You building a time machine?

Oh, it's not a Flux capacitor?

[Edited on 12/11/11 by gingerprince]

wilkingj

posted on 13/11/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ah Yes I am G0DDX.
Now I am retired, I am playing radio's a lot more.
(Kit Car in Summer and Radio's in Winter - Inside and Outside Hobbies, ideal for the retired to be able to play all year round)

The problem with small loop antennas is they generate several thousand volts on them, and usually in the capacitor.
Making you own is a good way to do this as you can make the size you want, rather than use what you can find or buy.

I have U2U'd Andy, and see how that goes.
I'm not in a tearing hurry, but want to crack on with the job.

Cheers

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 17/11/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got this sorted? I can do you a .dxf if you want.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

wilkingj

posted on 15/12/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, andyw7de has done a fine job.

I have now assembled the parts and here is a picture of the finished Butterfly Capacitor.
It should withstand up to 12Kv, as you get a double gap with this style of capacitor, and very low losses when using it in a loop antenna. Also no connection to the rotot shaft either which can be very lossy in this application.

I havent finished the motorisation of the capacitor yet. I have a 2rpm 12v motor, and then a 6:1 reduction drive to go on that, as it needs to turn very very slowly, due to the tuning being very sharp indeed.

For the Radio Amateurs amongst us:
I knocked up a quick loop using 2.6metres of Heliax LDF450 cable (was lying about spare in the shed).
I hung it over the fan blades inside the shack, and managed to contact a mate of mine in Finland on just 5Watts of power.
It was just one S point (sig strength) below my 130ft wire which is outside. The loop is inside the building, so I am well impressed.

The antenna covers 14-30Mhz, and has a SWR of better than 1.5:1 on all amateur bands.
At 14Mhz, and using the legal power limit, the voltage across the capacitor is about 5,553 volts RMS and the resonant circulating current is 43.4 A. Not something to touch when transmitting. (this is a resonant circuit so you get massive voltages and currents when tuned)

So far I have made one mistake. I bought some good quality 6mm PVC for the end plates. Evidently I should have used polyproplyene chopping boards from Poundland, cheaper and better electrical properties.
Downside is they are only about 3mm thick and not 6mm. I used 2 x 6mm PCV plates to locate and secure the bearings which are for Skateboards. A bit OTT, but were the cheapest I could find.
Used over 80 stainless steel nuts and nearly a metre of M6 Stainless Steel studding.
SS has less iron content and less magnetic effects. Brass would be best but even more expensive!
Remember I'm a Locoster at heart.

More pics to follow when I get the motorisation sorted.
I had to make up a 6mm male round to M6 female thread adaptor today for the motor. The Myford ML7 made it a cinch, even if id screw the first one up! My ML is not in the best of health, ie its old and a bit worn. Still, its good for knocking out spacers and small parts that dont need high accuracy / tolerance etc.

Capacitor completed
Capacitor completed

Magnetic Loop Antenna
Magnetic Loop Antenna

Best Regards
Geoff

mcerd1

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
So far I have made one mistake. I bought some good quality 6mm PVC for the end plates. Evidently I should have used polyproplyene chopping boards from Poundland, cheaper and better electrical properties.
Downside is they are only about 3mm thick and not 6mm. I used 2 x 6mm PCV plates to locate and secure the bearings which are for Skateboards. A bit OTT, but were the cheapest I could find.
Used over 80 stainless steel nuts and nearly a metre of M6 Stainless Steel studding.
SS has less iron content and less magnetic effects. Brass would be best but even more expensive!
Remember I'm a Locoster at heart.

most of this stuff goes right over my head
but I've come across this whole non-magnetic thing a few times at work (HV eletrical substations)

I'm guessing that your using austenitic staniles rod and nuts like A2-70 (austonite is an iron cristal structure where the effectivly stop behaving magnetically) - this is normally good enough for our customers whao are just trying to stop circulating currents in the support structures...

if you need something better could you not use alloy spacers, with a smaller rod throught the middle (also alloy with the end threaded) to pull it all together - a bit of making in the spacers but they'd be alot cheaper than brass and even less magnetic than stainless

as for plastic our customers tend to want PTFE, but thats not cheap
so we found that in alot of cases they would accept high density polythene (HDPE) - which you can get as dirt cheap recycled stuff

[Edited on 15/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.