Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats safer, mini or lambretta?
Chippy

posted on 6/1/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Not disagreeing with you regarding the safety of the mini - but that looks photo shopped to me .......

Don't know about photo shopped, looks buggered to me!! :-) Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous The steel is 0.8mm and spot welded, so they tear like tin foil and rip apart at the seams.

I missed this bit; how do you think modern cars are constructed? Thin steel panels spot welded together, albeit with rather more plastic bits involved.

The minis materials and construction methods have little to do with it's safety in a crash; the fundamental design of the car was simply optimised for packaging over other considerations. This is why there is just as much leg room in the rear and more boot space in a classic mini than there is in the BMW version, despite significantly smaller external dimensions.

Don't forget the mini was first manufactured in 1959, and the design of the shell did not change hugely over the 45 years of it's production. Compare it to other classics such as the VW Beetle, Fiat 500/126, 2CV, Hillman Imp etc. and it really doesn't fair too badly at all.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a Fiat Uno crumple like that in a similar speed colission so I don't entirely doubt it.

Do NCAP test at those kind of speeds?

This shows a few more modern bad cars

rusty nuts

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Li150 as a teenager before I got a Mini , the Mini was far safer as well as more reliable! Mind you Marc Bolan might not agree??
Andybarbet

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
We have a 1976 Mini & i have a Vespa too, without doubt the Mini would be safer in comparison, ive owned a few mini's over the years & never managed to fall off one

The Vespa is purely a cheap & cheerful way of me getting to & from work once my pregnant wife has our baby in April (cant really afford to run 2 daily driver cars), it also means the mini will stay tidier for longer as we just use it on nice days & the Vespa is a lot cheaper to fix, also if it starts looking tatty it really doesnt matter, the original outlay is still about a tenth of what the Mini is worth.

A friend has a very old Lambretta & its mint, i couldnt afford one just to blat to work & back on but he did say to me if you want a classic scooter to get to work on, buy a Vespa NOT a Lambretta, apparently they are not too reliable ?? Time will tell but i hope the Vespa stays reliable for me.....

dlatch

posted on 6/1/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
both pretty dangerous imo

but you can raise your chances of living through ownership by how you ride/drive either

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice that, i was always told to drive/ride as if everyone onthe road was trying to kill you

Pretty good advice i think.

Simon

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the 5th Gear test of a Focus going into a block at 120mph. Similar thing would happen to two car doing 60mph into each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI5ewOmHPQ

Even modern Euro NCAP test don't do more than about 40 mph.

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Two cars crashing into each other at 60mph, will have the same damage as one hitting a solid block at 60, not as the closing speed of 120mph as you'd expect.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 6/1/12 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Two cars crashing into each other at 60mph, will have the same damage as one hitting a solid block at 60, not as the closing speed of 120mph as you'd expect.

You know I think Mythbusters tested that

MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/12 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Two of the same type of cars, hitting each other square on will be similar to hitting a wall at half the combined speed since you have twice as much crumple zone. A truck vs a mini (for example) would yield rather different results!

wylliezx9r

posted on 7/1/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Can't really believe this question has been asked.

What's safer balancing on something with two wheels or sitting in a structure with four wheels? Isn't it fecking obvious? Crash test ratings and crumple zones on the car are totally immaterial as obviously a scooter has feck all.

Rant over

[Edited on 7/1/12 by wylliezx9r]

[Edited on 7/1/12 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Volvorsport

posted on 7/1/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
ask marc bolan about the mini .

as for the scooter , grease yourself up when your squeezing past lorrys, vans cars and other bikes in rush hour traffic ....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

iank

posted on 7/1/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Marc Bolan hit a tree, tree vs any car is not going to end well, especially against anything you could buy in 1977.

Have a friend who still walks with a stick after being T-boned on his Lambretta (car came out of a junction without looking so it would have been at about 30mph tops), but he very nearly didn't make it.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bobinspain

posted on 7/1/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR MUM !

My lad's hankering after a scooter (He's 16yrs old. Out here, until very recently they could ride a 50cc death-trap at 14)
Guess what the answer is?

Furyous

posted on 7/1/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

I missed this bit; how do you think modern cars are constructed? Thin steel panels spot welded together, albeit with rather more plastic bits involved.

I was under the impression the structural parts were seam welded but it looks like I'm wrong on that one. Even so, the very thin steel used in Minis isn't especially strong compared to thicker equivalents.

quote:

I'd like to see what would be left of a scooter in a similar crash!

The scooter is a smaller target so it would easily avoid the crash. But I get your point. Mini Vs Scooter - the Mini would at least give a protective cage around you and have the stability of four wheels.

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Marc Bolan hit a tree, tree vs any car is not going to end well, especially against anything you could buy in 1977.

Didn't Bolan crash at an alleged 30mph, though? Or maybe that was Jones' brother covering for her when the police arrived.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.