Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: imdicator switch question
blakep82

posted on 8/1/12 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
imdicator switch question

Not got access to the manual just now, was thinking of a horn button on the steering wheel, but got me thinking, if I had two momentary button on the wheel, could they be used for indicators instead? Is there anything in the manual dating they have to latch on and stay on themselves?

I know you shouldn't be able to put them both on at the same time unless hazard lights, but momentary switches this is unlikely to happen I guess, but not impossible really... Thoughts?
Current plan for indicators is an on off on toggle switch behind the wheel

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 8/1/12 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have just been through the manual, I cant see anything staing the controls need to latch or cannot be momenatary. I couldnt even see anything generic about using switches or similar. Im sure there must be something!
AntonUK

posted on 8/1/12 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't Ferrari's like this?
blakep82

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
very interesting... just back in for a look, and can't find anything in the manual either.
like i said, you shouldn't be able to put both on at the same time, but i think it would be very difficult/silly to sit with both thumbs on the buttons at the same time (though not impossible )

was thinking of something like this behind the steering wheel
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/steering-wheel-bosses-accessories/sparco-steering-wheel-buttons

or buttons set in holes drilled straight into the wheel perhaps, but yeah, i wonder. of course, the buttons point the wrong way if the wheels is upside down though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Macbeast

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Let's say you're approaching a roundabout and want to leave at the third exit. So you indicate right at first, then left, all the while turning the steering wheel. I think it would be very awkward.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

rdodger

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&a mp;Itemid=77&vmcchk=1&Itemid=77

I believe the Duratec Caterham R500 has something similar as does a mate of mine (he made his own) and several other Caterham owners.

Macbeast

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
There was a thread on this about 6 months ago.

Latching push buttons

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

blakep82

posted on 9/1/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i get the thing about signalling on a roundabout and stuff. as it is at the moment, i've got a toggle switch on the dash board, which i imagine would be about as easy to use in the same circumstance.
not sure yet. but the ones linked to for £24 for a pair looks very good (though you need one for each side? surely means you could end up pressing both and have both flashing?) i've got a quick rack too, so shouldn't need to take my hands off the wheel, except for changing gear
will need buttins for the wheel anyway, for either the horn or indicators, so can have a thing about it later,

Gergely

posted on 9/1/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I have made my own version with the help of a friend. Two momentary buttons behind the steering wheel on a self made aluminium plate. The electronics atre then configured so that a short push of a button gives 3 flashes (lane changes), a 1 sec push of the button gives 10 flashes (turning out of a street) and a more than 2 sec push gives constant flashes until canceled with a push of either button. Both buttons at the same time give hazards until canceled with either button.
As said, a friend of mine designed and built the electronics ased on my requirements (fits in a box the size of a packet of cigarettes under the dash). The steering wheel is removeable, with a stereo jack plug providing the connection to the buttons with some curly wire in the car.
Using it is awesome, I wonder why all cars don't have this... actually I know... they usually need more turns lock to lock. Under normal driving I don't have to move my hands from the 10-10 position on the wheel.
It's definitely possible to do. I can't comment on whether it is legal in the UK though...
Gergely

Edited to add picture link

[Edited on 9/1/12 by Gergely]

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
Hi,
I have made my own version with the help of a friend. Two momentary buttons behind the steering wheel on a self made aluminium plate. The electronics atre then configured so that a short push of a button gives 3 flashes (lane changes), a 1 sec push of the button gives 10 flashes (turning out of a street) and a more than 2 sec push gives constant flashes until canceled with a push of either button. Both buttons at the same time give hazards until canceled with either button.
As said, a friend of mine designed and built the electronics ased on my requirements (fits in a box the size of a packet of cigarettes under the dash). The steering wheel is removeable, with a stereo jack plug providing the connection to the buttons with some curly wire in the car.
Using it is awesome, I wonder why all cars don't have this... actually I know... they usually need more turns lock to lock. Under normal driving I don't have to move my hands from the 10-10 position on the wheel.
It's definitely possible to do. I can't comment on whether it is legal in the UK though...
Gergely
[Edited on 9/1/12 by Gergely]

sounds very nice i worry about pressing both for hazards though. think i'd prefer something that say, you press right, right indicators flash, you press right again, indicator cancels,
or
press right, it flashes, press left, right is cancelled, left starts flashing

but again, nothing to say i can't have momentary buttons and have to hold them... hmmm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.