Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you zero in an airrifle ?
steve m

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
How do you zero in an airrifle ?

I have a 2.2 air rifle, that was never accuret to start with, but my Son, deceided to take off all the sights etc
and put a telescopic sight on it,

Now, i havnt got a clue were it fires !!

How do i get the gun trued up as best as possible SAFTLEY ??

Steve

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
To zero a rifle to 25m you make a mark on a target (25m away) and take 5 shots at it. Look at your grouping and and adjust the rear sight as necessary. You have to make sure, of course, that you can shoot a group reasonably in the first place using the marksmanship principles. Them being having the weapon pointing naturally at the target, relaxing your breathing and on the out breath where there's a natural breath firing, squeezing the trigger with the centre of the finger pad and not snatching and don't recoil like they do on the telly, let the weapon absorb it.
Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

daviep

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Keep shooting at a target and see where it is hitting as opposed to where you are aiming - adjust to suit.

Simples

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

austin man

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
keep shooting at your sons backside when he sream your thereabouts it will also teach him not to mess about with stuff lol

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mark big X's on pieces of A4, stick them up on a fence-post with a safe area behind it and take shots starting at 5 metres. Zero it at the 5, then move back so you're now at 10, zero it, then 15, etc.

Start as the 5 because you're unlikely to miss no matter how far the scopes are out!

Take a coloured marker pen to circle the hits you've already made (you'll forget once the target gets 'holey'!).

Also worth taking a pair of binoculars to save you walking back and forth as you get to the edge of the rifles useful range.

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Keep shooting at a target and see where it is hitting as opposed to where you are aiming - adjust to suit.

Simples

Davie

So thats what the guy in you avatar is doing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I started to write how, youtube is your friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8S7KKs95PI&feature=related

scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
To zero a rifle to 25m you make a mark on a target (25m away) and take 5 shots at it...

You'll be lucky to land anywhere on a (non barn door) target at 25m with a .22 air rifle and randomly adjusted telescopic sights. Better to start much closer.

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Mark big X's on pieces of A4, stick them up on a fence-post with a safe area behind it and take shots starting at 5 metres. Zero it at the 5, then move back so you're now at 10, zero it, then 15, etc.

Start as the 5 because you're unlikely to miss no matter how far the scopes are out!

Take a coloured marker pen to circle the hits you've already made (you'll forget once the target gets 'holey'!).

Also worth taking a pair of binoculars to save you walking back and forth as you get to the edge of the rifles useful range.

My pistols were setup for 25m - point of aim point of impact. At 50m on a fig11 target if I aimed at the the neck I dropped the target, at 75m I aimed at the top of the head. At 100m slightly above the head....

Anything over 100m generally required either resting the weapon on a sandbag, and someone spotting the strike with a scope, then aiming off accordingly. We used to drop targets out to 400m with revolvers and factory ammo....

Good fun

scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
400 metres with a revolver!? You're taking the wee Mr A!

It's Evolution Baby!

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You'll be lucky to land anywhere on a (non barn door) target at 25m with a .22 air rifle and randomly adjusted telescopic sights. Better to start much closer

I've never actually shot a .22. I've used loads in my time and used to shoot at a poly cup at 50m with a Sig Sauer which was a great weapon. HK53 was really good. Used to throw the cases out of the range!

scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sig Saur is very nice! Paper cup from 50m

I only ever got to play with the Glocks and MP5's

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not joking Scott - With someone spotting the strike, single action with a 357 revolver from a trench rested on a sandbag, taking adjustments from the spotter, we could generally drop a fig11 target after 5 or 6 rounds.

That was with my 4" Smith & Wesson 66.

My mate used to shoot his .44 Magnum 6" out to 600m.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307199

Gear Monkey

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Best to zero in a rifle indoors where wind however slight can't mess with your accuracy. I have a 35m barn which is ideal and I also mount the rifle in a work mate and a towel which helps.
scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Not joking Scott - With someone spotting the strike, single action with a 357 revolver from a trench rested on a sandbag, taking adjustments from the spotter, we could generally drop a fig11 target after 5 or 6 rounds.

That was with my 4" Smith & Wesson 66.

My mate used to shoot his .44 Magnum 6" out to 600m.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307199

LOL... I can't even see 400m!

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 9/1/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dont need to, the pistol goes on the sandbag and gets fired single action, one round for effect. Then it doesnt get moved, cocked and fired again.

Theres always sand around the base of targets for calling the strike, once your on the sand, just keep aiming with more elevation until you drop it.

With 9mm pistols, you could with some practice drop fig11 targets at 75/100m drawing from the holster.

If I missed you , I would still do a pretty good job of scaring the poo out of you....

skodaman

posted on 9/1/12 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I can hit a chicken from a stunning 10m with an m16. Makes a bit of a mess though cos of size of exit hole.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tonym

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
When Iwas a kid many many years ago I had an air rifle that the back sight used to fall off occasionally. What I used to do was load it and put it in the vice in my dads workshop, shoot it the length of the workshop, put the sight on aiming at the previous shot, take it out of the vice, reload, clamp in vice aim at previous shot and see where it went (usually through the same hole) then tweek it for range shooting at the pegs on mothers clothes line.
foskid

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I have a 2.2 air rifle, that was never accuret to start with, but my Son, deceided to take off all the sights etc
and put a telescopic sight on it,

Now, i havnt got a clue were it fires !!

How do i get the gun trued up as best as possible SAFTLEY ??

Steve

Why bother, with a 2.2 round (55.88 mm) your gonna destroy anything within 10 feet, but it's gonna take a lot of pumping up all that pressure to move it.

[Edited on 10/1/12 by foskid]

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

jeffw

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
We used to fire at 800m & 1000m when competing in competition.

steve m

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I will sort it out soon

Steve

Irony

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
All you need to know is here - in my opinion the red with white spots necktie is essential.

Edward Fox Melon Scene

T66

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Steve - don't forget to post the pic of the neighbours cat , once you've got it.

scootz

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
What have you just gone and done Ivo....

You'll soon be feline the wrath of the LCB cat-mafia (PS - did you see what I did there ).

It's Evolution Baby!

jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
as below but dont start to zero the rifle till you have a group of pellets within a 10p size area.

I Used a box with a target drawn on it. eventually i got it close enough.

Try do this when you have little or no wind.....

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
To zero a rifle to 25m you make a mark on a target (25m away) and take 5 shots at it. Look at your grouping and and adjust the rear sight as necessary. You have to make sure, of course, that you can shoot a group reasonably in the first place using the marksmanship principles. Them being having the weapon pointing naturally at the target, relaxing your breathing and on the out breath where there's a natural breath firing, squeezing the trigger with the centre of the finger pad and not snatching and don't recoil like they do on the telly, let the weapon absorb it.
Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.