Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: famous ship or boat. school project.
Thinking about it

posted on 13/2/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
SS Uganda? a grand old lady who delivered me to the falklands, very interesting hostory and loads of info and photos available on google. Added advantage of having served as a schools ship therfore being relevant?

I went on that for a fortnight when it was a school ship. Had a great time, did no work mind.

Peteff

posted on 13/2/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gavin174
not sure anyone would of heard of this one..

bit obscure i know.....

Noah's Arc

Was he a welder ? It was an ark when I read the book What about the Black Pig or it's deadliest enemy The Flying Dustman

[Edited on 13/2/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

maskell01

posted on 13/2/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I went to see the Golden Hind when i was in school!
Sir Francis Drakes flag ship.
Was pretty cool, but i was 8!

www.goldenhind.co.uk

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/2/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Discovery sitting in Dundee at Discovery point
jeffw

posted on 14/2/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Could also maybe go a bit more modern and do something about HMS Illustrious - been plenty of places and seen plenty of action over the years.

Missed the main event though, only by a few months mind. Invinc has had a more interesting career than either Lusty or the Ark.

HowardB

posted on 14/2/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
As the Falklands are in the news again,.. how about Atlanti Conveyor?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Irony

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
How about the Tirpitz - Bismarck's ill fated sister ship. Everyone seemed to have a go at her, we even sent a fleet of mini submarines after her. Finally put to bed by 611 Squadron (of damnbusters fame) using their earthquake bombs (called tallboys weighing 5 ton each)

Interestingly you can go on google earth and see where the ship sank when it was attacked. The bombs that missed left craters which are still visable.

dhutch

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty gGypsy Moth IV was a 54 foot yawl rigged yacht commisioned by sir Francis Chichester to sail singlehanded round then world, he did loads of crazy daft sailing adventures and his books were amazing to read.
Indeed.

I personallly would be very tempted by the SS Great Britain, from a sort of engineering bend, but having got some suggestions its more important that its something she wants the write about.

Ellen McArthur is a bit of a legend, but sadly i wouldnt really say the boat was famous. I certainly cant name it.

Daniel

emsfactory

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yara Viking. Biggest tanker ever. Get to do lots of crazy facts like stopping distance and turning circles in miles and how long the fuel can keep a city going. How much it burns in a day. All cool stuff.

Or to be a bit more technical you could do the uncle John. First commercial semi sub with dp.

dhutch

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Or the Britannic, one of Titianics sister ship, sank some time afterwards as a hospital ship.

Daniel

coozer

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Heres another good one, the first steam turbine ship. Good story about how it attracted attention to itself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinia

Parsons' ship turned up unannounced[2] at the Navy Review for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee at Spithead, on 26 June 1897, in front of the Prince of Wales, Lords of the Admiralty and foreign dignitaries. As an audacious publicity stunt, the Turbinia, which was much faster than all other ships of the time, raced between the two lines of large ships and steamed up and down in front of the crowd and princes with impunity, while easily evading a Navy picket boat that tried to stop her, indeed, almost swamping it with her wake.[3]

Another vote for Turbinia, plenty of firsts in history and currently sitting in the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. well worth a vist if you've not been before.

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/discovery/collections/

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mad-butcher

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
SS Thistlegorm I'll be diving this in June can't wait
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Earth race / Ady Gil? Some pretty dramatic stories behind that one and recent as well.
loggyboy

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
RMS Queen Elizabeth/Seawise University - Sank in Hong Kong Harbour and was used in James Bond (Man with Golden gun) as an MI6 HQ
loggyboy

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
How about the Tirpitz - Bismarck's ill fated sister ship. Everyone seemed to have a go at her, we even sent a fleet of mini submarines after her. Finally put to bed by 611 Squadron (of damnbusters fame) using their earthquake bombs (called tallboys weighing 5 ton each)

Interestingly you can go on google earth and see where the ship sank when it was attacked. The bombs that missed left craters which are still visable.

oh yeah:
http://g.co/maps/p5xms

daviep

posted on 14/2/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

That would be 617 squadron then But nice factoid anyway

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Irony

posted on 14/2/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
How about the Tirpitz - Bismarck's ill fated sister ship. Everyone seemed to have a go at her, we even sent a fleet of mini submarines after her. Finally put to bed by 617 Squadron (of damnbusters fame) using their earthquake bombs (called tallboys weighing 5 ton each)

oh yeah:
http://g.co/maps/p5xms

I recently read the history of 617 squadron as I live within spitting distance of RAF Scampton. Quite awesome. Turns out they turned into a 'precision bombing squadron' and they used Barnes Wallace's Tallball Bombs that were if anything more impressive than his bouncing bombs. Really interesting read if your into that sort of thing.

[Edited on 14/2/12 by Irony]

[Edited on 14/2/12 by Irony]

Irony

posted on 14/2/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That would be 617 squadron then But nice factoid anyway

Oops........yeah I did that to test you lot........maybe

andrew.carwithen

posted on 14/2/12 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
How about the Mayflower? (took the pilgrim fathers to America)

Or the Beagle ( Darwin's ship)

or, as said previously, Sir Francis Drake's 'Golden Hind' ?

(sorry, bit of a Plymouth theme going on, here)

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/2/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The SS Great Britain is indeed dry docked in Bristol, well worth a visit if you're in the area!

She was the middle child, as far as ships go of I.K Brunel, being after the SS Great Western (a wooden hulled paddle steamer built to cross the atlantic) and before the SS Great Eastern (more on her later). She wasn't the first iron hulled ship, and neither was she the first to use a screw propellor, however she was the first to combine these items, was the biggest passenger ship in her day and was deemed revolutionary at the time. An interesting fact is that recent tests have shown that the design Brunel made for her propellor is only 3-5% less efficient than those used today- chalk one up for old I.K
She was for a while used as a hulk in the Falklands, and some plates from her were even used to patch up HMS Exeter after her run in with the Graf Spee at the battle of the River Plate. She was rescued and restored in the early '70's, if I remember correctly.

The SS Great Eastern was an absolute monster, one hell of a design. She was the largest passenger ship built for over 40 years, made for the Australia run. The paddle wheels weren't for propulsion BTW, but for maneuvering. Everyone thinks that she was cursed, and there are plenty of ghost stories etc. such as finding a skeleton trapped inside the double hulls, but it's not true as far as I know.
The interesting thing about the Great Eastern was that she hit a rock (later named after her) and suffered damage far worse than that which sunk the Titanic (about 60 times the area I think). The ship listed slightly, made it to port and most passengers didn't even realise anything happened- another one for old I.K

My final contribution - HMS Warspite. Served in (and survived) two world wars, recieved the most battle honours of any RN warship, nearly sunk by early anti ship missiles and an all round beast, affectionately known as "The Grand Old Lady".

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

JoelP

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
cant believe no one has mentioned HMS Dreadnought?

Im guessing old warships wont really interest her though. Plenty to think about on this thread though!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.