Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Expressions that get on your pip.
TAZZMAXX

posted on 19/4/12 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
'Roll out' instead of launch a product. Oh, you're going to roll it out are you? Is it a large cheese?

The entire vocabulary of estate agents maybe worth including? A gem that never fails to raise a smile is 'generously appointed'.

bobinspain

posted on 19/4/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
" Our thoughts are with the family at this time "
Your thoughts should be on how to catch the low-life who did it

Political-speak needs a whole website to itself, let alone a thread. The disingenuous manner in which commiserations to service families who have lost sons/daughters/fathers etc in action are delivered makes my flesh creep.
I watched PMQs yesterday. An utter disgrace to democracy. Braying, sneering, gesticulating morons. (and we pay 'em). They should be lashed. Every last one of 'em.

Apropos of an earlier post re' bull$hit. 42 years ago, in my early RAF days, we were busy getting accustomed to formal dining-in nights. Full bib 'n' tucker mess dress, dickie-bow etc. Formal dos for 200 officers with all the top brass there can be pretty impressive, with lots of pre-prandial drinks,(dry sherry or g&t), gallons of wine to accompany the excellent food, followed by port/madeira after the meal, cigars and outrageous 'war stories'.
A pal of mine grew tired of a cabal of young officers whose tales of past exploits seemed increasingly embroidered with each successive Guest Night in an effort to outdo each other. He therefore went to a local printers and got some embossed-script calling-cards produced, which in addition to displaying his personal details, contained in large print, the message: 'Do Carry On With Your Story, I'm Something of a Bull$hitter Myself.' He would await a momentary lull in conversation and deftly pass his card to the young officer holding forth, and await a reaction.

[Edited on 19/4/12 by bobinspain]

kipper

posted on 19/4/12 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Why are things "up to half price" surely it should be down.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

Alan B

posted on 20/4/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
So many to choose from living in the US...but currently I hate with a passion the misuse of the word anniversary.....as in "it's our 5 year anniversary".......what's wrong with 5th?...........would you say it was your 40 year birthday?...of course not.

Also agree with gotten, for free etc...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 20/4/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
While I accept a lot - living languages like English evolve over time if they didn't we'd still be be talking like Chaucer and writing the letter s so it looks like an f without the bar. So like it or not some of the idioms and language in this thread are likely to "stick" to the language and become "correct" over time, though most will die.

But I do object to commentators using golf as a verb. It's a noun not a verb, morons!

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 20/4/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Why are things "up to half price" surely it should be down.
Denis.

And why have things become "better than half price" instead of less than half price and I "would of done" instead of "would have done" and at this moment in time as a few others have mentioned. What else can you have a moment in ? Let me just run this past you, alright I'll give you ten yards start. I have to calm down now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bobinspain

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I noted Nichol at it again on Sky News thursday, "in actual fact."
Macbeast

posted on 21/4/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
" I got an invite "
No you didn't - you got an invitation.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

sebastiaan

posted on 21/4/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
People that have just "brought" things. Really? What did you do; pRay for it? (<-- see what I did there? ;-))
SALAD

posted on 22/4/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have another.....Why is it acceptable to now start written sentences with 'And'?
When I was younger, not that I am that old, we were taught not to do that.

Peteff

posted on 22/4/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why has obliged now become obligated as well ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 22/4/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Why has obliged now become obligated as well ?

Similarly, normacly seems to be replacing normality. Another annoying misuse from over here is the stock market expression "uptick" in place of increase or upturn.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SALAD
I have another.....Why is it acceptable to now start written sentences with 'And'?
When I was younger, not that I am that old, we were taught not to do that.

There is no such rule, and has never been - but it's a bad habit to use it too often as it makes your writing look childish. I think that's why teachers discourage it.

I suggest that you look at the first few verses in the King James Bible - there are dozens of sentences there that start with 'And'.

See also World Wide Words

[Edited on 22/4/12 by David Jenkins]

MikeRJ

posted on 22/4/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
One that's bugged me recently is this construction (seen in eBay eds etc):

"needs painted." or "needs cleaned."

Surely they mean "needs to be painted" or "needs to be cleaned"? <shakes head>

This has to be top of my hate list, just above people using "of" when they mean "have".

Stott

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

Back to the post

"at the end of the day"

Yes sir, that one really gets to me! It was my (late) father-in-laws favourite, and since he passed on my OH has has picked it up and carried the baton! GRRRRR

Everytime she says it chip in with "it goes dark" or "I go to bed" or similar, usually winds people up.

Peteff

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just found another and realised it is getting into everyday use. Definitely needs nipping in the bud Strangely a lot of people using spell check find the option "defiantly" fits their description best.

[Edited on 23/4/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.