Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharger whoops!
old_timbo

posted on 10/5/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
The M62 has longer rotors then the M45 but the other dimensions are the same. The M90 has the same length rotors as the M62 but they are of a larger diameter. The M112 has the same diameter rotors as the M90 but are longer.
There are different types of M62. The ones in the UK mainly seem to come from earlier Mercs. and have the electric clutch. The clutch is the first point of failure and so you see a lot on Ebay being sold without one. Don't touch them, because even if the charger and casing is OK, a replacement clutch is megabucks if you can get hold of one!
Trouble is on the clutch type M62 the drive pulley runs on a bearing mounted on a nose protruding from the casing which takes all the load from the belt. The pulley is not on the drive shaft. The pulley has a coil inside it and when energised pulls the clutch plate onto the end face of the pulley. This clutch plate is all that is mounted on the drive shaft. The problem with all this is that the drive shaft is small and has no outboard bearing supporting it so is completely different than the M45 (and other Eaton chargers) drive arrangement. I couldn't tell from your photo if your M62 is like this, but if it is you wont be able to retrofit the M45 snout and drive.
Of course I learnt all this the hard way. I bought an M62 with a totally fried clutch. When this happens the bearing seizes and spins on the casing nose wrecking it, but you can't tell until it is all apart. I got lucky and managed to pick up a case with a good nose, and found a replacement bearing (very special and non-standard) on US Ebay. The coil was just a block of molten copper and insulation, but I didn't want to use it anyway so I have bolted the clutch plate to the pulley. From Merc forums this seems to be something others have done successfully in the past.
Picture uploaded showing the two drive types. Not sure how I link it to this post. The one on the right is the clutch type.

Tim

jimmyjoebob

posted on 12/5/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
The reason you couldn't get this apart is because the gears are pressed on for life with interference to suit. This is done with good reason. The front of the rotors will have a clearance of about a thou with the rear of the rotors set to about a thou and a half before the gears are pressed on. This is so the gearing has as close to no backlash as possible to allow much tighter running clearances and hence better efficiency.

Eaton do not supply these rotor/plate/gear units separately and have strict rules preventing external suppliers, like magnusson, from doing the same with new units. The housing bearing journals are machined with the bearing plate in situ to guarantee alignment just as you would with main bearing caps and blocks or cam caps and heads.

Might be worth a try using a secondhand rotor/bearing plate/gear set unit as you could assemble the lot and do a basic check for rotor/rotor and both rotor/housing clearances by putting engineering blue on the male rotor tips to see if you get any contact anywhere. You won't be able to determine the actual clearance at static or high running temperatures though.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

ChrisW

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update on this, it seems the M45 bearing carrier is exactly the same as the M62, at least in my application. I bought an M45 from a Mini Cooper.

I'm going to send all the bits off to Bennett Racing who will strip it down, re-coat the rotors, and assemble it all with the bearing carrier from the M45. I'm not going to risk breaking another one by attempting it myself!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rdodger

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mind if I ask what they charge for that?
ChrisW

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
They want £350 all in, including stripping and recoating the rotors.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rdodger

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Does that include new bearings?

Sorry for all the questions . How about the needle bearings? Can they change those?

ChrisW

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know that's for everything. I was planning on doing it myself (I have all the bearings, including the needles) but after this setback I'm going to let the professionals do it instead!

However, please enquire if you need to be sure as I've only had provisional email conversations with them so far. I'd not specifically asked about the needle bearings, I'm just assuming it's included.

Chris

My gaff my rules

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.