Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rebuild Diary Kermit will return
blueskate

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Rebuild Diary Kermit will return

Hi All,

Just for giggles (and because I like reading other peoples build diaries) I thought I'd start a rebuild diary.

History.
I had rather a shaky introduction to kit cars. Those of you that have been around a while may remember a chap by the name of Chris Darby, I won't share all the gory details but suffice to say our relationship didn't end well and my part built MK ended up going back to MK to be finished at great expense to me. Anyway eventually I hit the road in July 2009 :

and had a good few years hooning around.

Fast forward to Brands Hatch April this year and in a moment of stupidity I decided to go out in the rain... lack of skill and r888's resulted in this :

So I stripped it down and took it to Andy Bates to see if it could be economically repaired (I have no welding skills in fact my wife would argue I have no skills at all but thats another topic for discussion):

We decided it would be cheaper if I got a new chassis from MK and rebuilt.... Sooooo that is where we are at! Rebuild parts from MK turn up tomorrow and then the fun begins!

Hope I haven't bored you too much. If you need a lesson on how to learn the hard way then feel free to subscribe

Thanks

Dean

Semper Paratus!

bi22le

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Always interested in a build diary. Its the closest I will be for a while before I get to build 'fresh'.

On another note you mentioned:

Brands Hatch April this year and in a moment of stupidity I decided to go out in the rain... lack of skill and r888's resulted in this : (Damaged rear end)

Where did you come off and how?

I was at brands in November last year and went out in the wet, with R888. I found it very hard to drive and span twice on clearways, luckily only collecting grass and no other cars or tyre walls. Just wondering if you can share your experience and thoughts as I need to learn how to drive in the wet!

I think my problem was not softening the car for a 'wet' set up and not running out to edge of the track. I was affraid of coming off!

Oh and if you want to delete this post so it does not ruin your build diary, feel free. I wont take offence.

Good luck with the rebuild, Bizz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

wylliezx9r

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
best of luck and keep us all posted.

I span my car the other day on a damp roundabout, luckily was only doing about 30 and I didnt hit anything, I found it good for inducing the realitys of rear drive though

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

blueskate

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Always interested in a build diary. Its the closest I will be for a while before I get to build 'fresh'.

On another note you mentioned:

Brands Hatch April this year and in a moment of stupidity I decided to go out in the rain... lack of skill and r888's resulted in this : (Damaged rear end)

Where did you come off and how?

I was at brands in November last year and went out in the wet, with R888. I found it very hard to drive and span twice on clearways, luckily only collecting grass and no other cars or tyre walls. Just wondering if you can share your experience and thoughts as I need to learn how to drive in the wet!

I think my problem was not softening the car for a 'wet' set up and not running out to edge of the track. I was affraid of coming off!

Oh and if you want to delete this post so it does not ruin your build diary, feel free. I wont take offence.

Good luck with the rebuild, Bizz

I came off at Druids. Here you go :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZi3mCbV9i0

The thing I find with r888's is you need to get them nice and warm before they start working well. In the wet thats is hard as you can't drive as fast to get the heat in to start with. I was on lap 2 of my first outing of the evening and was taking it easy (you can see I took the corner wide as I didn't feel the tyres could take the inside line, I strayed from the dry line and when I accelerated it all went pear shaped, once I was on the grass it was like being on an ice rank.

I don't claim to be a great driver and I will certainly think twice before hitting the track in the wet again!

[Edited on 16/7/12 by blueskate]

Semper Paratus!

loggyboy

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey that was unlucky, didnt even look like you were pushing too hard. did you catch a kerb/white line or just plant it a little too much?
Is that a brands hatch borrowed helmet for a mate or an instructor with you?

[Edited on 16/7/12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Twin40

posted on 16/7/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I competed in the Gti championship for 2 years, and they run the Toyo R888's as the control tyre, which are useless in the wet! Very twitchy and can't handle any standing water. At silverstone i think nearly everyone had a 'moment' on track.

its handy if you have a spare set of wheels with road tyres/wets fitted, so if the weather turns you can simply bolt them on.

look forward to the build pics!

C.

eddie99

posted on 16/7/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have spent some time at brands on r888's in my seven, found them to be pretty good in the wet apart from standing water, but my experience is any tyres on a seven in standing water is terrible. However you do have to be a considerable amount smoother than dry laps.

Anyways Good luck with the rebuild, i'll keep an eye on this post and hope to see you at some Essex kit car meets and on track soon

[Edited on 16/7/12 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blueskate

posted on 16/7/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Blimey that was unlucky, didnt even look like you were pushing too hard. did you catch a kerb/white line or just plant it a little too much?
Is that a brands hatch borrowed helmet for a mate or an instructor with you?

[Edited on 16/7/12 by loggyboy]

I still can't work out exactly what happened. I think I hit a patch of wet while accelerating (maybe I hit the throttle too hard as you say), once it started spinning I was just allong for the ride!

That was a borrowed helmet. My mate took a wack on the shoulder, at least he absorbed the force a bit though..

Eddie99. When I'm back up and running i'll make my way to Chelmsford!

Semper Paratus!

wilkingj

posted on 16/7/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think one of the big problems with a Se7en in the wet, is there is very little weight pushing the tyres down thru the water.
Admittedly some tyres will be better than others.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pezza

posted on 17/7/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I stuffed mine on 888's in the wet at brands back in jan lol

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

blueskate

posted on 21/7/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok update time.

I had a good day in the garage today and made some progress (well to page 17 in the MK build manual ).

My attempt at a height adjustable build table ish, A motorbike lift rated to 500kg :

Floor in (Lazy tongue rivetters are gooood!!) and chassis flipped :

My sou chef :

ran brake and fuel lines :

Fitted the front suspension. The front wings are on because I took the whole lot off the old chassis as one part.

Mandatory cat picture :

Fitted some prop catchers.... you never know! Also fitted the diff and rear suspension, I forgot to order a new stub ball joint thingy (The old one is bent) so I need to phone MK on Monday and sort that.

I might get a few hours in the garage tomorrow so hopefully more progress.

Semper Paratus!

blueskate

posted on 22/7/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got a few hours in my man cave today.

Steering stuff in :

Fitted my electric reverse :

and my prop :

Realised i'd put my prop catchers on too low so they have come off for now.

Radiator and lights on :

Back panel in.... this is all going too well

Handbrake cables and handbrake fitted :

I must say i am at a distinct advantage of fitting parts that are already modified to fit the chassis so I guess this is why I haven't hit any stubbling blocks yet.

I guess I will have to go to work during the week so I doubt i'll get much done..

Thanks for reading!

Semper Paratus!

blueskate

posted on 29/7/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got some time in the garage this weekend, progress has slowed somewhat As I've started on the birds nest that is the wiring.

Got the tank in :

Bought an engine hoist off the bay, got the engine in the air so I could drain the oil. and check everything over :

Mandatory cat picture 2 :

Engine in... It was just after this I realised I had an outstanding task to tap the sump for an oil temp sender... oh well, I'll drop it later before I get the car off the stands.

On to the job i've been dreading, I labelled everything before I took it off so hopefully it won't be too painful :

getting there :

Small horn in

And thats it for this weekend. I thought I'd have all the wiring done by now, tbh i'm not far off (whether it works is another matter). If I can get some time in the garage during the week I'd like to finish the wiring so I have next weekend to concentrate on bodywork.

If anyone is still reading hope you had a good weekend too

[Edited on 29/7/12 by blueskate]

Semper Paratus!

blueskate

posted on 5/8/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Weekend fun and games! My hands are starting to resemble a war zone...

Spot the cat competition.....

Rear tub on (I used the old one as a template

Most of Saturday was spent getting the side panel on... what a ball ache!

Sunday was set aside for the other side panel :

I tapped the sump for an oil temp sender as it's last location wasn't giving acurate readings.

Thanks for looking.... or not. Kind of lonely here... maybe i'll start posting pictures of naked ladies to provoke a response. Maybe I should start an intellectual conversation... Can we fix the double dip recession.

Semper Paratus!

danny keenan

posted on 5/8/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Looking go to say we only dropped the chassis of a few weeks ago.keep up the good work

Thanks Danny

blueskate

posted on 5/8/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Danny, got to keep the momentum going or i'll lose the will to finish it

Semper Paratus!

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/8/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, looking good/good pregress...

Keeping up a quick pace is how I work if I can!

Stickboy

posted on 5/8/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Keep going mate your old chassis is getting there now not long hopefully and i will have it on wheels with a thunderace lump in just got to get time to put it on our huge metal work bench and make sure all is true now before welding in the new bit danny supplyed
blueskate

posted on 7/8/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stickboy
Keep going mate your old chassis is getting there now not long hopefully and i will have it on wheels with a thunderace lump in just got to get time to put it on our huge metal work bench and make sure all is true now before welding in the new bit danny supplyed

Cheers... Update your build thread

Semper Paratus!

pewe

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
One of the things which I learnt on Porsche's kick plate at their Silverstone facility recently was that if the back end goes you don't lift off.
To most of us lifting off the throttle is an intuitive thing to do but as the "consultant" sat beside me explained it effectively slows the back end inducing the spin.
That's even more important in our Se7ens as they are so light on the back end.

BTW wondered what he was up to when I was on their skid pan and his hand suddenly gently grabbed hold of mine - "Hello what's going on here" I thought.
Equally gently he placed my left hand onto the steering wheel saying "I always feel much safer when people have two hands on the wheel"! - point well made and taken.

BTWx2 - if you ever want a truly awesome driving experience go on one of their half day courses. Not the cheapest but I'll guarantee you'll learn huge amounts about your driving style. 15 Consultants gave one-to-one advice and they want/encourage you to explore the cars' capabilities and limits (unlike some circuits so-called experiences). The course ends with three hot passenger laps with one of their consultants - inevitably you think you're quick until they drive you!

Cheers, Pewe10

blueskate

posted on 12/8/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wow what a weekend!

Got the nose cone and scuttle on, and fitted the bonnet catches :

Fitted the exhaust :

Ran the throttle and Clutch cables (no piccies... it's boring anyway)

Thought I'd test the engine. Two hours later and I still couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire. I was getting a spark, I had fuel pressure, but the injectors weren't firing... I stripped off the power commander to rule that out... Nope that wasn't it.... Anyways moral of the story...... If a tilt sensor has the word up written on it.. It probably means that's the way up it goes . The tily sensor cuts voltage to the injectors if its upside down (Evil Keneval must have disabled his...):

Here is the obligatory start vid.

First Restart..

Finally, I got the drivers seat in...

I have a problem with the brakes not working so thats what needs to be sorted next.

[Edited on 12/8/12 by blueskate]

Semper Paratus!

vanepico

posted on 12/8/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you're going to have to get a new IVA, but what is stopping you from chopping up the old chassis to beyond recognition then just putting the VIN on the new chassis? Apart from the obvious legal aspect

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Padstar

posted on 1/9/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question have been thinking of using the bike hoist for my build. Guessing it won't be good enough to do the chassis with due to lack of height but has it worked for the rest.
Peteff

posted on 1/9/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
I take it you're going to have to get a new IVA, but what is stopping you from chopping up the old chassis to beyond recognition then just putting the VIN on the new chassis? Apart from the obvious legal aspect

Why ? It's just a rebuild to original specification using original manufacturer parts so it doesn't need a new IVA. Unless he let the vin go with the old chassis when he sold it.

[Edited on 1/9/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blueskate

posted on 2/9/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
Quick question have been thinking of using the bike hoist for my build. Guessing it won't be good enough to do the chassis with due to lack of height but has it worked for the rest.

I built the whole car on the bike lift (i bolted 2" wooden blocks on the top of the lift to give me extra height). Whilst not as good as having the car right up in the air, it has been fine for me to get under and not strain my back too much.

Semper Paratus!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.