Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kindle - Any Good ?
jeffw

posted on 19/8/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
For reading books the basic Kindle kills everything else on the market (including the Fanbois Apple nonsense). If you want a tablet to do other things then there is lots of choice but for reading books the Kindle is king. My wife had one for her birthday and seems to spent her life attached to it.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

You must be hypersensitive to this kind of thing, I've not heard anyone else mention this as a significant problem. The flick as you change pages is shorter in duration than turning the page of a conventional book, and the newest Kindles are quite a lot faster than the old ones.

There's also the small matter of your lifestyle branded tablet costing more than four times as much as Kindle, and nearly 8 times more than the Kobo.

perksy

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice everyone

I've just ordered a Kindle...

craig1410

posted on 20/8/12 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

You must be hypersensitive to this kind of thing, I've not heard anyone else mention this as a significant problem. The flick as you change pages is shorter in duration than turning the page of a conventional book, and the newest Kindles are quite a lot faster than the old ones.

There's also the small matter of your lifestyle branded tablet costing more than four times as much as Kindle, and nearly 8 times more than the Kobo.

Ha ha, that made me laugh Mike, thanks...

What exactly IS a "lifestyle branded tablet"? Damned if I know - sounds like one of those BS meaningless buzzwords which marketing people come up with from time to time. Fact is that a kindle tablet is a piece of junk and will very soon disappear off into history as a technology (e-ink) which promised so much but achieved so little. Even Amazon realise this but unfortunately their answer (the Kindle Fire) has been extinguished already.

As for hypersensitivity to flicker? No, I don't believe I suffer from that. Hypersensitivity to a mediocre product - Yes absolutely, a chronic sufferer! It's like using an old etch-a-sketch. I don't care how long it takes, I care about how jarring and crap it looks. Looks like I'm not alone after all: http://systematichr.com/?p=1593

I'd rather pay 4 times as much for a quality piece of hardware (which is still cheap for what it does) and then pay next to nothing for content and apps than get a cheap piece of plastic hardware with the expectation that I will pay lots of money for content (not so much for apps as, well, there aren't really any...).

For someone who simply reads paperback books and has absolutely no need for colour or graphics and doesn't mind a flickering display between pages, and who is happy to spend this amount of money for a pretty limited device then I'm sure it is a good fit but for everyone else, they'd be better off with an iPad, Nexus 7 or a Nook. I'll be honest and say that I've never heard of the Kobo which tells me everything I need to know about it.

Cheers,
Craig.

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Craving an Apple product = fetish or addiction ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

craig1410

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Craving an Apple product = fetish or addiction ?

Someone did a study on this a while back and found that brain patterns of Apple iOS users did not show any signs of addictive responses. However, they did show genuine affection towards their devices in a similar way that they might for a family pet. There was no mention of fetish in that study. I suspect the S&M folks probably still use Nokias and Blackberries...

Here it is: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/10/study-shows-we-are-not-addicted-to-our-iphones-we-are-in-love

Personally I just find it to be a very useful tool for domestic and business use, no more and no less. YMMV.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.