Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicator wiring
monck

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Indicator wiring

Hi all i still cant seem to get my headlights to work below is what i have and don't have bare in mind im hopeless with electrics

my car is a tiger and uses a tiger loom ..

it uses a switch on the dash ( position 1 = sidelights position 2 = dipped beam)

the sierra stalk is then used to switch between dipped main ...

Basically on the switch if i put it in position one i get sidelights but no dipped beam in position 2 ...

i ran a 12v wire to the main and dipped beam wire that goes in the back the stalk and this works ..

So i used another switch and still no lights i tried a second stalk no lights ..

2 main questions i have ..

One, i removed the wiper/washer stalk as i fitted an aeroscreen is there anyway unplugging this could affect the other stalks function?

second, Is there any easy way to test a sierra stalk ? i do have a volt meter although little knowledge of using one ..

Failing that anyone got any ideas as its the only think stopping me booking an mot

snowy2

posted on 11/9/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
i believe the sierra uses an earth switching system...the lights are powered from a relay and switched via the stalks to earth to trigger them, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which wires do what.
it has been covered on here before....
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130377

also do a search for "how to rewire your car" on this forum that will also help you.

[Edited on 11/9/12 by snowy2]

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

bodger

posted on 11/9/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Send me your email address & I'll send you a pdf of my wiring. I've just done my headlight wiring this week & used the same setup as you. I chopped my wiper stalk off too - doesn't affect the dip/main switch.
monck

posted on 12/9/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help ..

Bodger ill do that now

Ryan

Not Anumber

posted on 13/9/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced my headlight switching yesterday from two dash mounted aftermarket switches over to donor to Sierra column stalks.
After wasting time trying to make sense of conflicting wiring diagrams in the Sierra Haynes manual I reaslise this probably wasnt going to do more than confuse me as sometime during the Sierra's production run Ford changed over from directly switching the live side of things to earth switching plus relays and the left and right parts of my stalk cluster were from different age donors.

Working from first principles I put the book away and sat down with a multimeter to work out what each wire did. It took about an hour to work out all the connections and permutations and wiring it up on the car took about another hour and a half including rerouting cables and refitting the dash.
The only bit that needed further thought was the sidelight / headlight function. The right hand stalk could switch fine between off, sidelights and headlights all day long but wouldnt run the sidelights and headlights at the same time as there was only one set of switching contacts and it needed two. The aftermarket dash switch got around this as it was a 2 pole switch (2 seperate sets of switch contacts that operate at the same time but aren't electrically connected).
I got round this by using a cheap 12volt relay - wiring it's coil between the headlight wire and earth and it's contacts between a live feed and the sidelight circuit.

Surprisingly one of the simplest things to sort out was the headlamp flash on the left hand stalk, it just needed a live feed.

Ive ended up making the stalk switches work with the car's loom in the same simple way as it did with the aftermarket dash mounted switches - overall a lot easier and more foolproof than trying to make everything fit with the donor's wiring diagram.

It all works and I no longer have to release the seat harness to reach the light switches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.