Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Someone to TIG weld lambda boss onto my exhaust? - Near Warwick
nre

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
WTD: Someone to TIG weld lambda boss onto my exhaust? - Near Warwick

Anyone near to Warwick who can TIG a lambda boss onto my exhaust (section is fairly small and removed from the car).

Beer tokens available!

It's to replace the previous one, bung has now completely seized in place:

Cheers!

[Edited on 2/10/12 by nre]

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I am no expert, but why can't you just MIG it (or maybe you don't have MIG).

I've found stainless wire a godsend for repairing saucepans and other kitchen bits where the spot welds fail.
Hence justifying the cost of the welder!

nre

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
I am no expert, but why can't you just MIG it (or maybe you don't have MIG).

I've found stainless wire a godsend for repairing saucepans and other kitchen bits where the spot welds fail.
Hence justifying the cost of the welder!

Don't have any welding facilities myself, got it TIGed last time round so seemed sensible to do the same again...

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
That is a good reason not to DIY
Agriv8

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried giving the old one a good belt with a hammer strait on the face of the bung ( biggest hammer you dare that wont crush the tube )?

it may crack the sezure and enable you to release !

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

blakep82

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
have you tried giving the old one a good belt with a hammer strait on the face of the bung ( biggest hammer you dare that wont crush the tube )?

it may crack the sezure and enable you to release !

ATB agriv8

or a blow torch to heat the pipe (but try to avoid the bung) as stainless expands a fair bit more than mild steel, might be enough to help lever it out?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nre

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Tried just about every trick I could think of including blow torch and brute force, but it wouldn't budge. Then proceeded to try drilling out and smashing out the remnants but it has well and truly fused into a single piece! Decided it was time to admit defeat...!

Chippy

posted on 2/10/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
When I had mine done I went to a local welding place, and was well pleased, not only with the job but also the small price just £20, plus he did it while I waited. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

tilly819

posted on 2/10/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
is that a S/S bung in a S/S boss??

You want to use a mild steel bung in a S/S boss. never had any problems doing it this way. I belive it is becuse of the differing thermal expansion properties of stainless vs mild.

worth having the bung black phosphated too so is has some elemant of corrosion protection.

hope this helps for future

tilly

[Edited on 2/10/12 by tilly819]

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

nre

posted on 2/10/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
is that a S/S bung in a S/S boss??

You want to use a mild steel bung in a S/S boss. never had any problems doing it this way. I belive it is becuse of the differing thermal expansion properties of stainless vs mild.

worth having the bung black phosphated too so is has some elemant of corrosion protection.

hope this helps for future

tilly

[Edited on 2/10/12 by tilly819]

Not sure what the original one was, replacement is a SS boss with mild steel bung as recommended :-)

Thanks!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/10/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you believe Lincoln to be near Warwick, then I'll gladly do it for you if you bring a few bottles of Duck Soup.
This weekend isn't possible (I'm on a distant track), but if there's no hurry drop me line...

tilly819

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I can do it if you are coming past melton mowbray over a weekend or of a evening

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.